High Power 10s Lipo Battery Pack with BMS

My street is apparently being resurfaced next week… I bet this is what happens.

2 Likes

I got my bms today! I am using a charge only bms.IMG_20190110_204655 Will it spark when I plug in the charger? Do I need something like an anti spark loop key that I can plug in to start charging after the charger is already in?

Try connecting the charger to the bms before plugging it into the wall socket.

1 Like

Ok, will try that after I finish soldering the connections today.

I have this same BMS in charge only setup. It does not spark when I plug the charger in.

@Namasaki @bigben @b264 @rsalmon I just made a new topic for my build.

1 Like

Instead of hard wiring the packs, I could also just use xt60 series connectors, correct?

Yes or bullet connectors. Either would work but hard wiring is best for power delivery.

Edit: @ryansinatra check out @lrdesigns build. He used bullet connectors.

2 Likes

Good call! Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@Namasaki. I’ve been thinking about doing a compact travel build that I can go travelling. Yhis basically removes li-ion from my options - what I normally build with. What cell would you recommend for something as close to travel safe as possible that will still give 10/12s and wouldn’t matter too much if I had to leave it an an airport.

Go with the highest C rating you can find because the capacity will need to be low for air travel. But then, I always recommend the highest C rating possible regardless of capacity.

2 Likes

For my build, I am trying to figure out how to wire my two 5s batteries together and how to get them hooked up to a power button and 3 pin charge port. What plugs would I need, and would I need a power switch for the button?

Read through this entire thread and most if not all of your questions will be answered.

1 Like

Would you say graphene packs are closest to their listed c rating… im planning on making a bigger lipo battery and was hoping for 25+ miles with no sag… Im hoping 6 5s packs will be enough

Graphene’s have a reputation for being good but I have never used them. I doubt that there is a Lipo battery in existence that will deliver what it’s C rating suggests. I also doubt that you can eliminate voltage sag completely with a battery that will have a reasonable size and weight for an Esk8. The only thing you can do is try to reduce voltage sag as much as possible. Lipos are good for short to medium range with maximum power and minimum sag in a relatively small package. Li-ions are the usual choice for long range batteries.

5s packs are thick and using 6 of them for a 10s3p is gonna be a very bulky and heavy battery. My very first build used 2 6s packs for 12s1p 5ah which got me about 10 miles. I had an enclosure that I could open to swap batteries out quickly. So I carried extra batteries in my back pack and had a total range of 30 miles. I used a hobby charger to charge my packs outside the board. That’s just another option if you don’t have the resources to build a Li-ion battery.

2 Likes

Makes more sense. My lipo can be short commutes and the li ion for the long ones… i know zero is unachievable but its a lot less with a high discharge lipo right? Which lasts longer in terms of cycles?

Yes that’s correct. The closer you’re battery can get to providing the amps you demand the less voltage sag you will have.

The graphene Panthers (75c) and the older 65c generation are tested thoroughly on the rcgroups forum, and the verdict is they are “TRUE” 55 and 50c capable respectively. Meaning that not only can they do a full 55/50-C discharge, but they can do that repeatedly for their service life. Extremely impressive

1 Like

How long can i keep the lipos unused before i have to put them in “storage mode”. Does that only matter when you dont use them for an extended amount of time?

1 Like

So the graphene panthers are the newer ones?