High Power 10s Lipo Battery Pack with BMS

Yeah true I’m studying that photo to see how much space i can recover, maybe minus 1 battery it’d be doable but then i don’t know enough yet as to whether 8s will power dual motors well enough

Have you considered a longer deck?

Yeah I have a longer one but want to use this short deck.

Think I’ve figured out how I can do it - basically doing exactly the same as you but to cut down on size and fit it under the board going with 6s either that or ditch the BMS (yet to decide actually) but leaning towards going with 6s

Your work looks great man thanks for sharing

1 Like

what to do if they are not close enough and you don’t have a balance charger?

if your talking about the voltages, how far off are they?

sorry more hypothetical i dont have the batteries yet but incase they come out of balance

i gather hooking them up to the bms will sort it?

They should come with all cells at 3.7-3.8v Check every cell before putting them together. If any pack has a very low voltage, it is suspect as defective

update: I just wanted to add that it is possible to get a bad pack right out off the box when buying Lipos. I have experienced this first hand so I strongly recommend to anyone using Lipos to check new packs before doing anything with them.

2 Likes

i’ve ordered the exact same batteries as you.

so as long as they’re around 3.7-3.8 i can connect them all together and to the BMS (i’m just getting an ebay charge only BMS) and from thereon it should be fine?

Theoredically but I can’t vouch for cheap bms’s sold on eBay. That is, I can’t promise you that it will be fine.

Wow so much knowledge in this thread. Thank you. Are there any pros / cons between 5 X 2s packs vs 1 x 10s lipo pack of equivalent ratings? The only one that comes to mind is number of connections but I figured you might know best.

1 Like

five 2s vs one 10s

Size constraint is the main factor however there is also the matter of maintaining the overall battery. So if you have five 2s packs and one cell goes bad, you have to replace two cells. If you have two 5s packs and one cell goes bad, you have to replace five cells. If you have one 10s pack and one cell goes bad, you have to replace ten cells. Because when one cell goes bad in a Lipo pack, the whole pack is done.

5 Likes

I finally finished my board. I used one motor and 5 2s 60c lipos in series for the battery. I found that I lost traction when climbing hills. I use 100mm crossover wheels. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to improve traction without a second motor? Would 6.5 inch pneumatic wheels work?

i just switched the motor to the front wheel and the traction improved so much! It still isn’t perfect though. It still slips when braking down big hills.

How big are the hills?

I would think it’s your wheels, maybe a nice uniform surface would grip better

Or pneumies bc pneumies

1 Like

Try putting more of your weight I’ve the motor when braking or accelerating. Then again, it could just be the surface you’re riding on. I have the mbs all terrains and I don’t get that problem unless its wet. Pictures of your build?

IMG_20190102_191128 My roads are pretty rough. They paved them cheaply (by putting down gravel and pouring tar over it) so there are a lot of loose pebbles. As you can see in the picture, the drive wheel has worn down a lot from only 3 hours of riding. I was able to climb a 35% grade hill today, but wasn’t able to get down without skidding. Yesterday I wasn’t able to get up the same hill. I think the bigger contact patch from the worn down wheel and front wheel drive helped. Also, this is my first board, so it took some time to get used to riding it. The more I rode the board, the less it skidded.

1 Like

I’m betting that some soft abec 11’s would give you a lot more traction than those wheels. Then again, if your roads have a lot of loose gravel, I don’t know if anything will help.

Ugh, that’s the worst.

2 Likes

Ok, now I’m choosing between using trampa superstars or abec 11s. The setup with superstars would cost around 150 dollars more, but I think it’s worth it because my roads are really bad.