German Esk8 Laws

Because they have a push assist mode, which is probably not entirely unproblematic if one can easily switch to regular e-skate mode, but at least it’s a gray area. As far as I know the law says that if a vehicle cannot accelerate on it’s own beyond 6 km/h, if the power doesn’t exceed 250 W, and if the power cuts out entirely above 25 km/h then it is legally not a motor vehicle.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. At the end of the day rider takes the risks…

I talked to the Mellow guys when they were in Berlin last month and they said even their push only mode is illegal, because it can be switched to throttle mode easily.

Not only because of that. A bicycle for example is only allowed to assist the moment you peddle. Not when you are not peddling. Also not to keep your speed.

Except for the small button that accelerates the bike up unto 16 km/h without pedalling AND keeping that speed as long as you push that button.

It is called push assist („Anschiebhilfe“), I think.

Think Max speed for that is 6km/h

You are right. I just tested with my wifes‘ ebike and it barely made 2 km/h.

I own a S-Pedelec and that supports until 16 km/h that way. I mixed those two up.

Saw an esk8 (flat deck, 8 or so inch wheels) with a handlebar yesterday. Looked stupid, but if it’s legal…

It’s not. A handle bar doesn’t make a difference. It’s still a motor vehicle without registration and insurance.

2 Likes

They have caught another one. Unfortunately the police in Germany seems to be quite strick on that. https://rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/moenchengladbach/blaulicht/moenchengladbach-polizei-stoppt-elektro-skateboard_aid-2350052

Hopefully they will change the laws soon…

1 Like

hello everybody - so i have a verdict on my confiscation finally -

i received a letter and with one short sentence it told me that the case has been dropped according to #6 of the STPO (i’m going by memory) but basically it means that there was no interest in persecuting the case further, without fines or going to court.

13 Likes

1 Like

nice, das will ich hören

@iconZo19 would it be over the top to write them a Thank You letter in response?

2 Likes

Yes. Just include the responsible state attourney in your bedtime prayers.

They don’t do shit like this because theyre being nice. They just decided they have more important things to do.

2 Likes

that would be a nice gesture :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like things are happening soon!

5 Likes

Danke Merkel.