German Esk8 Laws

so - i gave my statement, which was pre-typed by the police officer and it read: " I did not know i couldn’t use Electric Longboards on the public road" - this will then be sent to the court, and in 3-4 months i will receive a verdict - either go to court and defend myself and/or pay a fine - at the station i tried to argue my points with the officer and he said: you can’t use it on the street because it is not insured. (showing him Allianz’s response to the fact it is unnecessary to insure an e-board) he said: yes you don’t need insurance, because it is a sporting equipment, and can only be used on private grounds. THEN i asked, but what if i kickpush it? and he said that’s fine. so i guess the same rule always applies - don’t get caught? :wink: on a separate note - there is a big mellow meetup @Woytec told me about, in tempelhof on sunday 20th May - i guess it would be nice if people can join and maybe bounce ideas with each other on how to get things moving? i think that for the rule that Kick-pushing is allowed, the Mellow Board “endless” mode could technically be Legal in germany? as it is not an acceleration with a throttle, but rather an assisted motion, which gradually decreases in speed, until pushed again? also - what if we get the media/newspaper/ tv news involved in a story about E-boards and light e-vehicles in general? would people be willing to speak up? or have any connections in a media outlet they know? we could make the points about it being as safe as an e-bike, if not more; that it’s environmentally friendly? and other points?

1 Like

we could make the points about it being as safe as an e-bike, if not more; that it’s environmentally friendly? and other points?

At this point i would be really carefull with this argument, because at the moment the media is against e bikes because e bikers ar tweeking the bikes and causing accidents for them.

@iconZo19 hi man! Hope everything will go great with your case. I just bought the e-board as well and i’m living in Berlin. (still waiting for it, so I’m considering maybe to cancel the order)

I only now realized that it is so crazy here with the boards. Do you think it will be a good idea to cancel it, since it seems that it is completely prohibited to ride it on public streets?

main idea was to commute to the work and back home, but now it seems impossible for me in this city.

Hey! well, the e-board is loads of fun (which one did you order?), i had bought it to save on commuting times too - and got caught on the way to work, on a forest road with no one else there - so i was very noticeable. you can NOT use it on public roads for now - either you wait it out and hope they move the legislation forward (i’ve heard it might happen this year) or use it but don’t get caught by cruising around at a speed that looks like you could push at, then you should be fine. it really is up to you, but i was very disappointed when i got the board back and knowing i can’t use it freely. i did take it to tempelhof yesterday and its great to carve around, but it still feels like a caged animal having to take it there on the train rather than riding.

2 Likes

Do you mind me asking if you know what the police was doing on an empty forest road? Did they specifically target eboarders (or ebikers)?

they were going to the shooting range in kleinmachnow. they caught me just as i turned into the forest road (still a public road though)

I wish I’ve done some more research before I bought my e-board. Don’t regret it though, its very cool, but I was also thinking on commute with it. I live in Munich which can be, IMHO, less skate friendly than Berlin. I’ve been to Berlin and seems more prepared). Hope the law gives us the right so we can use our e-boards freely

1 Like

It’s awesome that neighbouring countries were all able to come up with decent ESK8 related laws, except for Germany. The general lack of bicycle roads is truly astounding and I think it complicates matters. Germany is built for cars…nothing else.

https://www.gruene-fraktion-hamburg.de/buendnis-fuer-elektromobilitaet-innovationen-ins-rollen-bringen/

Do I really need to move to Hamburg now?!

4 Likes

Lets hope the rest of the country follows the initiative. Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

1 Like

First good news in years.

Well on one hand I’m glad than there is anything happening at all. But then I always get mad when I read the statements by those politicians saying stuff like “We’re gonna make Germany a role model”, and you dare using words like “innovation”, when you’re simply a couple of years late to the party. Like the promise Germany is gonna be a role model for digital innovation by trying to make public wifi happen in 10 years or so. Politics by dinosaurs for dinosaurs.

Don’t move just yet… Look at the proposition: not only is it not through the parlament yet. What they’ll be voting on is not even legalizing it in Hamburg, but just to CHECK how one could legalize it, and to give a report until end of September…

Even if it passes, it’s probably gonna be years before something actually happens. My only hope is that EU will make regulations and that Germany will follow a few years later. Also EU enforcing clean air laws would help, I guess.

Haha, I guess @Mellow, witch is based there (although Dev. is in Munich) lobbyed their way through

Hey guys, I though I would also share my story that just happened yesterday in Dusseldorf (Sunday 11th of June) I was riding an eskate back home a small 28inch one. I was riding slowly on a large sidewalk (I had the board for about less than a month and i was using it everyday and I was respecting traffic rule same than a bike) The cops decide to pull me over while I was actually walking with the board in my hand ( i always push on the board when I see a police car just in case) They explained me that I cannot use the board in Germany, anywhere unless it is on a private property, they checked the board, asked me a few questions (they were actually really interesseted int eh board that it made me feel like I was doing a sales speech), They eventually let me go without a fine or anything but I cannot use the board anymore. So if I have an advice, yes you can ride it and not get caught ( however according to the german law you are doing something illegal) until the day some cops decide to stop you and then the problem can starts. E skate is super fun, for a millions reason and it is a great way of transport but riding it with the fear of being stopped and pottentially getting a fine is not worth all this trouble. It is very sad to say

1 Like

If they start doing that here I’m selling every esk8 I have… Really hope they make some new rules for you Germans across the border soon or later :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

This is the reason I have changed directions with my build and replacing the dual 6374 belt drive with a Carvon speeddrive R. Hopefully if I can make it look as stock standard as a regular longboard I can escape too much attention and the avoid the unwanted look of the law.

1 Like

It works great, got a lot of comments about my board how quiet it is. Simply cant hear it and also looks like a normal longboard. Recommend it to anyone who wants a stealth build.

Waiting for mine to arrive, should be landing in EU soon. Then just have to hope it sneaks past the tax man wanting his cut of VAT. What deck are you running with?

I really want to get hold of an integrated deck like what NAF has made with his hyperbeast deck, but he has been too busy to update on if or when a second batch will be made.

Mine came with a very pleasant value on it, you’ll most likely like it haha. Using the drive on the LY evo here.

Can someone enlighten me how Mellow Boards was able to pull this one off in Germany? 800km on public roads? Am I missing something here? Is this a false advertising?

“800KM IN 10 DAYS WITH AN ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD”

I wrote to them asking how did they manage to do it legally but got no response. (???)