German Esk8 Laws

i know this forum, i am active there and i read this thread from day to day.

i want to come back to your statement

i want the source stating exactly this.

but when germany makes laws for this, i know that everyone with a eboard here cannot drive it like they do now, because the wattage will be under 1kW at least!

Because it’s illegal! How do you not understand? The population says they do not want that. That’s what laws actually are.

I think you need to understand what a law is first, then come back to this

That’s not true though and you should know that. Laws are not there to give people what they want.

1 Like

It can take ages for the political system to reflect what the population actually wants. Add to that the complexity of European law and it it may never be reflected.

To say that the German people are not interested in such transportation doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Actually, that’s the specific reason laws exist in the first place.

i have mine configured to PID mode (keeps speed). so by default, if i put my loopkey in, it doesnt even accelerate. everything else is changed using the app

so IF i ever get caught, i jsut have to remove the loopkey which shouldnt be much of a problem

1 Like

well, since i got here a bit personal i want to say sorry and would like to revive my answer, and just ask you how do you think that laws are made

think of this case:

police sees you speeding with 20 kmh over a street. they take your board, your loop key and your remote. they will check it and see it drives more than 6km/h

a duty cycle killswitch integrated in the software will need more work of investigation to find out, if they even can proof it.

@b264 German laws at the moment are stupid because they are outdated. You’re not getting that it was never specifically declared illegal, so our point that “the people have spoken out against skateboards” makes no sense. Nobody want’s it illegal. It’s simply an artifact from what was defined for “motor vehicles” that weight several tons. German legislation simply sucks at adapting.

And @Acidfie, what’s really retarded about the law is that it makes no difference between a skateboard and a tank. If it’s faster than 6 km/h it’s a motor vehicle. And that’s stupid. I’m from Germany myself, and currently living in the US. And it’s definitely true that Germany to some extend benefits from everything being well regulated compared to countries like the US. But this typical German attitude “the law is the law” is in many cases also harmful. For example in the early days of Segways they tried to enforce seatbelt law, which makes those things total deathtraps. Police and lawmakers didn’t care. “Germany has a seatbelt law, so you need to follow it, no matter how dangerous it is.”

2 Likes

if that where true, then im sure we had a law that gave everyone a few thousends bucks just for beeing allive.

laws are there to protect people and the society. and tbh, i can completly understand why the state / society doesnt want a bunch of completly untested and probably dangerously self made vehicles on the street out there.

my main problem is that a dam electric bycicle is more dangerous then my dam skateboard is.

You must be a teenager. Money has to come from somewhere. Everyone can’t just get free money.

technicaly, they could

edit: also, you are missing the point.

in my eyes a electric bike is way more safer than a board:

• brakes at every time
  • i can brake very strong without tilting forward or fly down from it
  • saddle
  • people know its a bike and see you easier moving.

@Mathias you are absolutely right that german laws are outdated. sure some laws are absolutely awful but do you think when the government will allow skaterboards that travel at about 50kph what happens with society?

every god damn idiot out there will buy such a thing and drive like the last idiot around with it. this is a fact.

if they make a law, the will slow the boards to 15 kph or 1000W or something like this. then you can throw your board away with 2x 2,5kW motors. even the mountainboards will get problems because driving on streets in the woods or so. there are so many things to think of.

i sure want a law that allows me to drive the board, but this will need very much time since its not just about “using a motorized skateboard”

@b264 just out of curiosity, as an environmentalist, do you have proof about e-boards being the most energy efficient transportation?

but also weights quite a bit more and depending on your skateboard setup, doesnt realy break any faster (sometimes even slower) and is sort of a trap when smashing into a car :wink:

i do understand your points however, it takes some skill (and proper mindset) to drive a esk8 safly.

mellow boards posted this a few days back

2 Likes

and driving a bike not, beside the ability to ride it in the streets.

lets do some maths:

braking with my bike when i am in danger:

braking from 25kph (maximum allowed speed the motor supports) to 0 kph

25kph = 7m/s you have 1s reaction time means you travel 7 meters before reacting, then you have to full brake with your bike, which was researched by

Bäumler, H.: Bremsverzögerungen von modernen Fahrrädern. Verkehrsunfall und Fahrzeugtechnik 47 (2009), pp. 347 – 349 (#11)

you can go with 5.5m/s safely without having an accident.

a = v^2/2s which means braking would need about 9.1 meters.

now think of this with a eboard, this means if you would do a really good fullbrake standing, you would be flying away.

1 Like

but you can also easily jump off. try that on a bike :wink:

i am mostly referring to the footprint (size) of a bike aggainst a skateboard and also its weight.

also, i am not concerned about my health, its actualy the health of others. an normal ebike is way larger and also somwhere arround the 20kg mark. smashing my bike, including me, into a person seems way more dangerous then just me and the board. especialy since i can (and did) jump off (and probably creating a new threat “loose board” in the process).

i might be wrong here, but at least thats how i feel.

PS: wasnt going to start a discussion about that, especialy not in this thread :wink:

Seeing how good the track record of drones is vs electric bikes and skateboards and how over regulated drones are now in Germany…I have good hope that ESK8 will be legal within 5 years, limited at a speed of 3 km/h and a maximum weight of 250 gram + fireproof registration numbers visible from a distance greater than 1 km. If it weighs more than 250, you need a CDL/truckers drivers license.

7 Likes

Hey everyone - just to give an update on the situation: i was never invited to court! the police officer called me this morning and told me i need to go to the police station in Steglitz to pick up the eboard tomorrow at 10am. he told me they will file a report and i would get my board back. - i will update you all with what happens.

14 Likes