German Esk8 Laws

if they accelerate by themselves, AKA if you have a throttle then no. I think I read that only the ones that maintain for a certain amount of time the speed that you pushed manually are alowed (With max 250W)

I guess bevilacqua is right, as far as I understood only assistance up to 25km/h is allowed.

No, it looks like this, used it twice =).

Hey everyone, i’m new to the forum and have signed up due to a case i’ve had with the police today - i saw some posts @Woytec and have had a similar situation, although i hope to not go through what he did! basically - i was near Wannsee, Berlin and skated 10m on the public road before turning right onto a road that leads through the forest to kleinmachnow. the police saw me turn into the road, and then noticed me speed up the hill (i was always under 10km/h!) they pulled me over and told me they need to verify that the board cannot go more than 6km/h. they confiscated the Evolve GT board, but did not ask for my remote controller. they asked me to see my phone, which i pulled out, and they mentioned on the Incident Description paper that it is operated via Handy. they said it will take 3-4 days up to a week to verify the speed. but i don’t know how they can do this without the remote - is it possible they will come back to me to ask for this? has anyone had their evolve board confiscated before? i have shown them i have a driving licence, but they said that because it’s 4x wheels, and motorised i need to be insured. but there are no e-board insurance policies, as far as i know. i read some quite horrifying stories on the forum, and i am a little scared. i just got the board not even a week ago. i have called Evolve distributors and had Jens on the phone, who told me there was a similar case here in Berlin, and that the person involved was prepared to go to court with some information, and then the lawyer told him that the case had been dropped.

i did find a reddit thread where someone found EU-Law that states that electric skateboards are excluded from being considered cars - but this was for the Customs union… http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/DE/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32015R0386

do i risk a 1200 Euro fine? do i have to go to court? is there any way i can contest the confiscation? ANY sort of information will help!

i also don’t speak good german, as i have moved here one year ago and would really like to avoid any sort of legal process.

thanks for the help in advance!

At this point no legal process possible, it‘s forbidden in Germany! The only way is to limit the Speed of max 5,9 km/h, without any possibilitiys to change the Max Speed!

well they didn’t take my remote, so i don’t know how they will verify the speed. the remote does have a ‘safe’ setting, limited to 5km/h, which is the default setting when turning the board on.

They can always check the brand and power settings stated by the manufacturer. That’s very easy for them to do with a commercial board. I hope you get lucky and will not be fined.

Hey, sorry to hear this. Jens was reffering to me there :slight_smile: Something I learned from all of this is to relax. You dont have your board for now but you will get it back. You are likely to get the same fine as i did but you will be able to make it go away. It will take a lot of time. Perhaps few months. When you get the court invite, Just be well prepared, get your story streight, you will need to convince them that you meant no disrespect to the law and that you are sorry. You will end up not paying anything or just a small fine. Keep us informed here. It will help others later to stay sane :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for the response, i’ll try and relax! still angry though, as the weather is perfect to be carving around these days. did you have to hire a lawyer to go to court? i obviously mean no disrespect to the law, and kept very calm with the police officers - Jens did mention that he would get me in touch with the person as they prepared some information to provide in court, seeing as i got in touch already, can i kindly ask you to share this if it can be relevant?

thanks!

Thanks for posting! I didn’t fully understand, did they say anything positive/promising about legalization?

My board is in my storage for few months now. It feels so wasteful especially on the beautiful days like those recently

Sure, can we exchange numbers? Pls email me at [email protected] Will be easier over the phone.

@Woytec i just sent you an email :slight_smile: thanks!

for everybody to know - unfortunately they didn’t say anything positive/promising about legalisation yet. i hope to get some answers from Evolve themselves too - i’m reading every possible forum in the meantime, and i can’t really conclude what will happen for now. hope things get better, i believe in these electric vehicles having a positive impact on many things!

They say they are pushing that we are going to have a law about small electric vehicles soon. But all a bit vague at the moment without any dates or more insights. Let´s hope they hurry up and decide something soon!

1 Like

those 2 wheel Chinese boards don’t look so bad now eh @b264 :stuck_out_tongue:

6km/h is 3.72mph which is RIDICULOUSLY slow, it’s walking speed

You’re making me SUPER GLAD I did not move to Berlin when I had the chance a couple years ago

I think the solution is fixing the asinine laws and not devising ways to break them.

The facts are on our side, electric skateboards are the most energy-efficient non-animal-powered transportation humans have ever created and it’s becoming increasingly more relevant as the climate gets more and more fucked.

If the German people want to keep their idiotic laws, then that is the problem, and not the way the electric skateboards are designed.

1 Like

well, our laws may be idiotic to some individuals, but they do have a purpose for a good reason. i do not agree with every law but the fact that a skateboard without a separated brake system (if the electronics fail) can’t do a emergency braking without throwing the driver off the board, is very inappropriate for the streets.

Car drivers, especially old people will have much problems recognizing super fast vehicles like these boards or do not even think about that these things can go so fast. i want to recite myself here for exact this reason:

ABSOLUTELY no one in a car will think of us as an electrified vehicle, so if you’re driving on streets or paths that cross streets where cars drive, always drive very foresighted!

this is a rising problem because more people will enter this electrify-anything scene. i seriously say fuck germany, but if they will make laws, then we will have wattage limits of 500W or so. I bet both of my hands for this.

so, the more i agree with you, the more i’ll have to disagree with you because in your eyes it is “just a law”, but you have to think deeper about this.

end of this statement: the implementation of a duty cycle kill switch would be the best idea in this case.

1 Like

I think the solution is fixing the asinine laws and not devising ways to break them. The German people have spoken loudly, and they do not want clean, efficient transportation.

source please?

else i have to say: at least our people are not allowed to drive these things for a reason:

That this thread exists

Also this