German Esk8 Laws

I lately contacted my local MP and asked him whether they will soon introduce new laws regarding electric skateboards. However he didnt answer…

I am taking place in a competition called “Jugend forscht”, which you may compare to Science Fairs. My project is about making electric skateboards safer to operate by using sensor data.

I have already won the first round and will take place in the state competition next week. Probably I will have the chance to talk to some higher tier politicians and make them aware of the issue.

Guess chances will be good that they will at least listen as the competition takes place in stuttgart which will soon face bans for diesel-powered cars due to the air beeing polluted.

10 Likes

Unfortunately politicians didnt show up this year. However I talked to a lot of people and made them aware of the issue.

They were all quite astonished that riding small electric vehicles in general is highly illegal and agreed that the situation is not acceptable considering their relevance for clean, daily commution.

Probably it is our best chance for now to tell our people about our situation.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I have moved from Berlin to Munich and it’s getting warm, so I started thinking about electric transport again.

Does anyone ride their boards in Munich, how is situation? Also what do you think about kick scooter instead of skateboard? Will it be paid less/more attention and chanced to get caught?

I live in munich and commute by esk8 about 3-4 times a Week. Whenever I see the police I try to not react in any way or even push like on a normal board: everything has been ok till today…

A scooter would be more discrete, but maybe not as enjoyable as an esk8.

4 Likes

Thanks for response. Bought a longbboard (not electric) and found out, that I cannot ride it without motor, mostly because it has no brakes, and kick pushing is just uncomfortable for me without handlebars, but because several people got fined, I didn’t manage to buy motor in the end.

Also I find myself in fear riding eboard, looks like I’m getting old =). And now I wonder what to do/buy.

1 Like

Riding an eboard is much easyer that pushing and footbraking. I would recommend to try it out :slight_smile:

If you have no butget issues maybe you could try the mellow drive, there is one shop where you can test ride it. Or I could show you my own board.

1 Like

If you would be old you have fear to step onto such a vehicle. Though it is hard/exhausting to drive eboard.

1 Like

I have been riding in Munich continuously for 2 weeks now. Saw quite a few cops. Acted as casually as possible. Nothing happened so far. Met a guy the other day who had an inboard m1. Seemed legit. Said 2 of his friends got busted and both got a 150eur fine and one traffic register point. Compared to the 1200 fine @Woytec got, that really seems okay. Although in the end as I understand it he got off with a warning thanks to a merciful judge.

1 Like

if you really want to go sure you could just add a police button or something like that to the remote witch turns down the speed to 5 km/h so if they stop you, you maybe could get away with it.

1 Like

Yeah thats what we have a nice app for with a slow default mode but the thing is if cops watch you speeding past them at 30kmh, I guess they will take it as an insult if you tell them you were actually going 6

1 Like

i longboard whit my one power at around 15 kmp wy da fuck cant i more than 6 on a electrick one, what u can do is get a electrick moped of som sortt and put the number plate on ur board, the police will look at it as if its a normal ting , if they hold u down for any reson just say somitn like this is how it whent to rwd, i have some friends that ride dirtbikes this way, i guess its better then noting ?!

I’m trying to avoid cops when riding my mountainboard and i’m also riding really defensive in public spaces. Especially when i see kids around i’m mostly at 10km/h or less. Sunday i rode right past a cop car with 4 of them in it. Crawled at 6km/h past them as they already saw me and hopping off would increase the chance of them stopping me i thought. They looked kinda funny at me but didn’t say anything. Maybe only because they had other things to do as they were driving on a bicycle lane in the public park.

Guess it depends on your location and the mood of the officers that day. This was in Gera, Thuringia, and the police is definitely busy with other people. So as long as i don’t pose a threat to anyone i assume it’s fine by them.

1 Like

Let me recite myself here:

“drive in germany as much you want - dont get caught”

german politicians are mostly funded by the industry, if it doesnt bring money - it will take ages…

a very curious funny thing bout motorcycle rules that is pretty new:

Since Dec 2016, if you have the drivers license for curbed bikes (called A1 for up to 125cm2/15hp and A2 for 48hp) and you buy a un-curbed bike and put a throttle in it, the maximum horsepower it can have BEFORE throttle-ing is 95hp.

Like wtf, how does it matter if my bike has 110 or 95 horsepower when i must throttle it to 48hp?!

fuck germany, seriously

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer, don’t want to waste other people’s time. Which shop is it? I would like to try it definitely. By the way mellow looks like a best option and it was on top of my list when I was looking for a kit conversion kit, but it is too expensive.

Kitemania Gotthardstraße 4, 80686 München 089 70009290 https://goo.gl/maps/2fhy8MbRebv

I really don’t mind showing you, people who have interest in eskating should see what you can acomplish through this platform :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I don’t agree with power/speed restrictions either. It’s not because my car can go 250km/h that I am going to drive 250km/h in the city center…

2 Likes

So the German TV channel WDR visited Jens Haffke from Evolve Germany today and they did a little interview about the current not existing regulation. You can watch it here:

Starting at about 15:30 min http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Aktuelle-Stunde/Aktuelle-Stunde/WDR-Fernsehen/Video?bcastId=7293524&documentId=51815218

2 Likes

Thanks, I ended up with xiaomi m365 kick scooter, found used for 250EUR, so I chose the thing with which I’m (hope not) going to be caught =).

And now I need to sell my longboard and helmet maybe… I tried to ride it again and understood that it’s too dangerous for me =(

what helmet, if Full-Face I might be interested…

Aren’t those okay since they only have 2 wheels inline and a steering wheel? Segway sells scooters like these now too.