Freefly Robotics new universal motor controller, ARC200. Thoughts?

@mmaner did you measure the flux? I had some weird studder that was cured by measuring the flux linkage.

1 Like

LoL Is it just me who really really WANTS this esc but then tells himself NO I am not worthy to test it.

@b264 I know Iā€™m not (grammatically) correct but who cares coz thatā€™s how it played out in my headā€¦ wait isnā€™t then that how idiots think? (LoL) b2 Iā€™m really glad that youā€™re here man.

1 Like

I did in the initial setup but it was kind of strange and the KV value didnā€™t look right. Iā€™ll try it again now that itā€™s up and running.

1 Like

Our KV is in very different units than a typical motor rating (Arc uses V/RPM while most brushless motor convention is RPM/V - additionally FOC and BLDC have somewhat different KV values).

Not sure if I already told you this as Iā€™ve somewhat lost track of who has been having what issues, but make sure you update your firmware to the latest. Whatā€™s been shipping out on the drives is quite old at this point and there were a lot of improvements that might help things like regen braking stutter. Donā€™t forget to save your settings to a file before updating firmware as itā€™ll usually wipe the configuration! That said some of the defaults on certain filters changed since early firmware so to get the latest and greatest settings itā€™s good to just re-run the configuration process if you donā€™t mind spending the time since an old config will revert to the old filter values.

1 Like

@christensent I know you guys have probably gotten this before, but I do think a mobile app (Android) would go a long way towards supporting eboarding.

Great controller. Iā€™m in the process of wiring a pair into my Carver.

@Kug3lis Are you testing yet? If not weā€™re bordering disrespectful.

1 Like

Yes, I have done whole initial testing you can look up my build topic and when last week updated firmware played with settings for couple of hours but the brakes still work the same have to figure out what is causing it :slight_smile:

I will try this weekend again, as I have to kill my everyday board to try it out and then restore everything back as it is my daily vehicle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Doh! I remember you saying that. Iā€™ll download and update the firmware this afternoon. Noon mistake, my bad.

On the good side, I out 20 miles in it yesterday and it her than the brake stutter, no issues. Solid.

1 Like

Yeah my KV In my SK3 is .0022642. Theyā€™re weird

1 Like

To approximately convert between the two, take your typical KV number such as 192, and calculate 1/(2 * that_number). That results in 0.00260 in the Vp/RPM units of Arc200 for the SK3 which is pretty close to your value. This calculation is only approximate since motor manufacturers usually give the BLDC value so you really want to use Arc200ā€™s autotune value to get the sinusoidal KV, but this lets you approximate if you need to and at least do a sanity check on the autotune value.

1 Like

It turns out I had the latest firmware. I think the issue is related to the reduction plus the size of the wheels. Iā€™m running 12/36 with 7 in wheels. Iā€™ve been playing with some values and changing the issue, so I think Iā€™m on the right track. Iā€™ll post more when I know more. In fact Iā€™ll do a build thread when I get it to a usable state.

I appreciate you sending these out, very cool of you guys. Iā€™m going to buy another in the spring for my eSurfboard. That will Ill be epic :slight_smile:.

6 Likes

They make them here in Washington

Can you post your config file so I can look at it? Also let me know what motor and battery youā€™re using. Gear ratio and tire size should not cause any sort of braking instability.

1 Like

Sure, Iā€™ll do it tonight.

@Kug3lis, @longhairedboy, @mmaner, @psychotiller : any news or step toward a full test ? I think thereā€™s a lot of people ( including me :slight_smile: ) waiting for informations about this promising esc.

Kind regards,

Boubak

Iā€™ve been able to ride 1 time in a week because of rain. I wish I could do it today, but rain. Itā€™s supposed to clear off Tuesday, so maybe I can do a test run then.

From my limited ride time I can say this.

1. It works, well.
  2. Torque delivery is massive, more than any other controller Iā€™ve used.
  3. Temps remain stable at high amp draws, even with no external sync.
  4. Itā€™s a monster to program, definitely need a better config interface.
  5. Assuming longevity (that the Arc 200 lasts a long time) itā€™s a deal as itā€™s cheaper than other ultra high amp ESCs.
4 Likes

Seems more suitable of high power scooters, ebikes or esurf. I think I want to get one for a ebike setup. Maybe even an escooter config

Sounds like it may make a great hill racing esc. Wish someone was bringing this to the Barrett Junction UH.

2 Likes

It would, soooooo much torque. I wish I could be there.

so we finally got some extra leads sent to us from freefly and weā€™re getting the sensors sorted out.

I thnkwe may have some wiring transposed somewhere, the errors weā€™re getting say that the sensors are in a non-standard orientation, but @Blasto says the raptor hubs are a standard 60deg orientation, so thereā€™s still some sorting out to do.

meanwhileā€¦ sensorless operation is very impressive. these raptor hubs are nasty at 12S on these ESCs.

also worth mentioning is the shirt they sent me with ā€œ#prolevelā€ written on the front lol

3 Likes