For Sale: Firefly Esk8 Remotes and Parts Kits *No longer accepting requests*

Yeah, Im not sure Im gonna have time to get to batch 3. I’ve got A LOT of orders, and it takes a LOT of work just to get a single remote assembled. We’re coming up on the 2 week mark of when I posted this thread and it’s just taking me far longer than I anticipated to get orders out. I just sent out remote #5 today, completed #6, and setup for #7, so I’m pretty close to keeping pace with my estimation but not quite there yet. If I keep up this pace, I’ll only put out ~35 more remotes this summer. There’s 30 requests in batch 2 alone, so unless I can really up my output, batch 3 will remain in limbo.

4 Likes

Thank you for your hard work! I’m excited to be somewhere in batch 2 I just wish I got to that form faster lol

1 Like

I might be able to offer some kits for sale. I am currently awaiting for the stuff i ordered to come. I will need to test the components and stuff before i can confirm if i am able to offer the kits for sale.

3 Likes

I was thinking that maybe you can involved more people in order to have more time to actually build up the remote and for instance let prints the parts to other people. For instance I can help with printing, but I am in EU, so probably a limitation. Just an idea :wink:

Printing parts isn’t my biggest bottleneck right now. I’m ~4 prints ahead of the remotes I’m actually assembling. The physical assembly of these things just takes me too long. I think I may have a solution but we’ll see.

2 Likes

Is this going to work with the new metr hardware?

I have no idea. I was about to type out that that’s irrelevant since the Firefly uses its own receiver, so if you want BT and Firefly you need to run dual VESCs anyway. But since the new Metr hardware uses an NRF chip there may be potential interference between the 2… They use different chipsets, but I can’t be 100% sure it’s compatible yet. The only hardware I can guarantee compatibility is with the HM10 BT module.

It uses different kind of NRF chip and bluetooth. NRF used in Firefly uses proprietary Nordic Semi communication protocol which is not bluetooth.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m aware of that, but the Metr pro is using an NRF52 module which if I’m remembering correctly, someone over in the Firefly Development thread said is compatible with communicating with NRF24 chips

Maybe see if there’s anyone from the forums in your city that would be willing to help build and just charge a little more?

Southern California here

I considered that too, but unless someone REALLY wants to work for basically minimum wage in my shed with me, I’d have to charge substantially more money for each remote. And at that point, id be getting into Photon territory prices.

3 Likes

Maybe figure out a way to test components (jigs, test rigs), and sell tested kits? And photon priced completes for the lazy?

Thats pretty much what I’m already going to be doing for Batch 2’s kits already anyway. And I’d rather not get up as high has Photon’s prices. He’s using a custom PCB, well integrated and assembles hardware, and definitely knows a hell of a lot more than me. Plus it looks like Solidgeek is designing firefly PCB’s now too, so I don’t really have any standing to start charging as much.

It’s like ESP32, you can use BT or WiFi or both. I don’t think it’ll interfere. They must have tested it thoroughly before releasing the product.

1 Like

wouldn’t you just need the right pipe address to communicate between nrf’s?

One of the first remotes commisioned :

7 Likes

(it was actually the very first one)

1 Like

not trying to be negative, but that print is rough.

@Scoo_B_SK8 hopefully you get that molded one done and start selling a quality housing

Are you using a heated bed? There is also a lot of under extruding, consider changing your extrusion multiplier. If you want some more tips to help improve the quality PM me.

1 Like

Don’t have a heated bed, and I can’t change the extrusion multiplier. I’ve got a Cetus3D Mk1 with a lot of issues that I’m still working out. The biggest of which is that I can’t properly level my bed bc I got the thing used and the original owner lost the proper screws. I also have to print on rafts which don’t help my surface finish :frowning: