FOCBOX UNITY | Support, Setup & Troubleshooting

No, the Unity is not VESC 6 based. Original VESC 6 has three phase shunts with shunt amplifiers and adjustable voltage and current filtering. This allows the ESC to be very linear and run high RPM motors reliably at max voltage rating. Unity has two battery side shunts, like VESC 4.xx, Focbox and other VESC 4 based designs.

There are other differences in design, like dedicated processor vs shared processor and power stage layout, FET choice etc.

If you are interested in more details: https://vesc-project.com/node/403

@Deodand any updates on firmware evolution? (tagging you as it “seems” from above the cutout has not been solved.)

2 Likes

@Gerrycorrado

Have you updated your Unity to 23.44 (the latest one)?

Yes carl, i have. Not that that makes a difference as i cannot ride eh… I broke my elbow running 23.43 as reported in ticket 80198. Im simply pointing jeffrey to the reports just above. Also 44. As he mentioned he is very busy, i expect him not to followup on a thread just like that, hence the tag :wink:

1 Like

Looks like to see the real results we have to upgrade the firmware to the latest and then try it again! But after your recovery (if possible)

Carl, to be honest… I broke bones. I hope you realize that concrete is not soft and it will take weeks for my to recover. If you scroll up you see someone who is still able to ride and has logging capabilities with what it seems still cutout issues on 44. I prefer you ask that person to be honest. I did offer jeffrey to send all my stuff to fatdaddy (including all my spare ‘large’ engines so @tricky-fpv could run tests) , but that was last week or week before and seemed not needed as he was finalizing 44 (which was released 2 days after). I have updated to 44 a couple of days ago so my settings on which i had my accident, are lost

1 Like

I understand and I strongly hope for you to have the speedy recovery mate! I think Jeff will answer him because there are always multiple factors involved in each and every case, because every case has it’s own uniqueness, I hope you understand what I meant!

So, we will troubleshoot and update you guys here if it’s the fault with the Unity or with something else!

1 Like

Hope to get my metr module tomorrow. I have not had any issues with 23.44 but I never hit more than 48kmh/30mph. Some suspect 35+mph to be where issues start.

40kmh is where i had my issue. But im 100kg geared up. Carl, i hope al issues are gone when i can ride again, otherwise i will be obligated to go elsewhere…

1 Like

I do understand man and we are struggling on daily basis to solve each and every issue and make this product as much durable as possible!

1 Like

Me too with physical therapy :rofl: Until then im +1.000euro in orange paper weights. For the moment all confidence is gone eh. And i was a true believer (otherwise i would not have bought 2+psychobuild+1 (yes, your records show 2 still being processed as the last combo order contains 1 for a buddy)) But i still believe in Deodand…

2 Likes

Hey @Gerrycorrado, to the best of my knowledge it seems the issues with the over current are solved. I see some people have reported a couple weird intermittent issues but it seems clear to me the behavior is caused by something else (no reported faults that I know of anyways and very different described behavior).

If you want me to make some kind of promise that the skateboard you built yourself that I’ve never seen before will never fail again, well obviously I can’t. To do so would be reckless. This sport is dangerous, gear up stay safe and manage your speed. Maybe devise a way to stress test your setup safely. For my part I’ll continue doing as much as I can to identify/solve any reported issues. I do feel fairly confident saying an over-current fault shouldn’t be the cause of a cutout anymore.

On that note, if you guys are reporting behavior please try to give as much info as possible. Run “faults” command if you can, logged data is also a help too. I think everyone should also take a moment to remember that there’s more than just the unity between you and the board running correctly. Try to troubleshoot and inspect everything (remote, battery, wiring, receiver, motors and unity) in the chain if you experience any weird intermittent issues and report back on what you did. It helps greatly to narrow down any reported issues so we can identify the cause. Photos of your setup showing the wiring and components and screenshots of the app to show your settings always help too.

13 Likes

Man. You must be under a ton of pressure after reading everything we write and complain about in this thread! Man. I love my unities, but it’s becoming really really hard to trust them!

Enertion not giving a shit about injuries makes it even harder!

Let’s face it. Who wants a board that is limited to riding conservative at all times not knowing what the outcome will be!! One thing is for sure. I don’t!!! I like to full throttle my shit here n there and apparently that might or might not be an option for Many of us.

Long story short. I totally understand why people are getting frustrated about the subject. I really hope you guys can figure this one out before something really really bad happens to someone in here

Riding gear can only do so much to protect riders

3 Likes

Seriously man? Of course we care, you realize enertion is like 10 total people on a good day? I get so tired of people demonizing our company when we are just out here trying to develop new exciting products for this community. We will always do our best to patch any bugs that get reported to us ASAP. There has been a recent spike of people prematurely jumping to conclusions on weird behavior with their boards. We need to make sure and identify all the specific behaviors and treat them separately and accordingly. Not just go ME TOO ME TOO and lump all issues into the same vein. The vast majority of unities are out in the wild working great, so we need to identify what about your specific setup is causing issues.

Nobody wants that, so lets figure out how to get your setup bulletproof and bug free (like one of the hundreds of other people running unities) before you push it to the limit.

Even if the bluetooth were to drop the faults would still be reported. As long as the unity isn’t power cycled the faults remain in memory. If you aren’t seeing any faults after the behavior than your unity would either be hard resetting (you’d notice complete loss of power for about 5 seconds) or no faults are being triggered. Are the motors cogging?

@701Superjet make sure to update your firmware it should fix the issue.

@LEE I have a metr module here as well I’ll invesigate the weird battery current logging you are seeing. As an aside I would not recommend running such an asynchronous battery and motor max current, it will produce weird non-linear throttle behavior that will probably not be very predictable feeling.

8 Likes

@Deodand don’t wear yourself out on some frustrated and ignorant posts. Most of us do fully respect your effort AND most of us have no issues anymore.

8 Likes

Oh brother!!

1 Like

Believe me when I say I mean no disrespect my man. I respect your work since the day you started helping with my other board. I know you’re working hard to get things going! That doesn’t eliminate the fact that my equipment is still having issues! Again. Different board, different unity and different issue.
Yeah. She runs good as long as I keep it below 35. Dear god if I try to go faster than that!! most likely I will get hurt!

I invite everyone to push their unity a little harder than they usually do. Let me know how it goes.

Be aware. Many people don’t report because they don’t even know the problem exists

Hate me if you want. I’m just talking based on my personal experience.

Cheers :beers:

1 Like

Since the latest update and I posted this before I have ridden my board at full throttle for several km straight with the current gearing max speed is sitting at 55km/h but previously gearing I had it up to 65 km/h. I weigh 120kg’s myself and with gear and backpack would be pushing 130 kg’s. Dual 6374 190kv Tb motors 12s5p 30q with with full Bms. I no longer have any issues… previously I was able to get the over current kicker to occur when pushing it for a decent period of time. I also previously back in January as mentioned in another post had an issue with a cold solder breaking on a phase wire and causing a dodgy connection … which also caused the board to cog when under load. I would say I’m one of the few who put as much load and hard riding through their unity consistently. I even run the throttle at +30% for more aggressive acceleration. I built my board to be a monster because I knew no production board would deliver close to what I wanted…except maybe a bio board @mackann has very similar style build to my board… but these didn’t exist when I started building … I run full custom riptide bushes which were a massive upgrade and enabled me to ride to the max… I have had a few close calls at high speed and seen people come off in front of me… but it won’t stop me pushing the limits… I have spent many hours honing my build and refining every part … I have confidence in my unity. I also have 2 friends locally with them who weigh less but also push their boards to the limits and they have no issues either…

We have just gone in to winter here which sucks as it means not so much riding… pre winter I commuted to and from work on my board daily…

Hope that helps…

4 Likes

I still “support” you guys My raptor 2.1 has a defective hall sensor. Bara immediately sent me an exchange motor. Unfortunately it hasn’t arrived yet. Maybe it’s not up to you but it would be cool to get it soon. Besides, my BMS has given up the spirit and bara has just initiated me an exchange. Hopefully it will also arrive and not like my replacement motors which have been stuck somewhere for a month.

I have mixed feelings. Actually, you have always helped me directly but unfortunately nothing has arrived so far and the stories from the internet from other customers are sometimes very negative and frighten off

and somethings you did were really not good but i don’t want to offtopic this thread

Screenshot_20190611-214633_Gallery !+ 20190611_215304

1 Like

All of a sudden today my Unity (FW 23.44) with stock BT (First batch 1.1) module now gets stuck on “Connecting to Vesc” in Xmatic app. Had been working before. In the Xmatic bluetooth settings I can connect to the Unity BT module just fine, but it doesn’t show the telemetry data anymore. I sent my debug log via the Xmatic app. Rebooted my phone (iOS) and re-installed the app. I doubt that this has anything to do with the communication between the phone and the Unity BT, but instead the BT module not being able to communicate with Unity. Also cannot connect to the desktop tool anymore.

Ripped open my enclosure and stuck an old HM-10 module in there and works fine. :thinking:

@Deodand is it possible that the voltage spikes are frying the Unity BT modules? No communication between the (first batch) SKB369 nRF52 module and Unity via RX/TX due to something being fried?

I’d buy a new SKB369 module and replace the old one by soldering it on the BT PCB, but since the stock one is (probably) loaded with custom firmware I doubt it would be of any use, since starting to program my own NRF modules is not something I’m looking forward to. Starting to consider buying a Metr Unity module, but worried my Unity will fry that too.

Not sure anymore in which thread to post this, Xmatic or Unity troubleshooting. Posting in both. Also made an Enertion support ticket.

Log from Xmatic app: https://pastebin.com/UZxpeWHW

1 Like