FOCBOX UNITY | Official

If customs catches it. Yes you will. They list on the site that duties and taxes are not pre paid

1 Like

I’m pretty sure you are the only adult here that 100% gave up on a fossil fuel vehicle. I just looked up the zip code in your profile, you definitely live in an area that could sustain that kind of lifestyle. Not everyone is that lucky

4 Likes

not everyone’s lucky enough to spend €2000 on a car €400 on 12 driving lessons €90 on A theory test €120 on a Full license exam and €2500 on insurance and road tax. and not to mention petrol and the fact that new cars die in 6 years let alone a used €2000 car

1 Like

No idea what car you guys had or the weather is like there, my last, last car was 15 years old when I sold it, it had over 300,000 miles on it and still drove very well. The last car I had was 10 years old, with a little over 100,000 when I sold it. I’m in Southern California so maybe the low humidity and dry air helps with the longevity? Or maybe the fact that the car you referenced is €2000? It’s been Honda, Honda, Honda so far. the wife and her sister had BMWs those damn things went to the shop a lot!

We’ll see about that. I have low expectation with any proposed delivery dates when it comes to these things. There are too many factors involved. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I agree with what you and @mmaner have said if Enertion came out and said we are introducing the focbox unity we are no longer doing individual sales only to certified resellers that would be great because then you would have the community contacting resellers in there country or close to it and getting better prices as it would create a competitive market for the resellers to fight in thus driving the price lower while they could still make a profit. I have no problem with a reseller wanting to make a profit if it part is geared towards that.

The biggest problem that I have is that they published the price at $199 and then they change the price to $10 more after seeing the interest in the group buys soar with the USA one they are seeing an added $500 profit for those 50 pieces which in Australian dollars that comes out to $689.29 profit. Then he give a bogus excuse about exchange rate being the cause but then the exchange rate does not support what you are saying then I call bullshit. When it comes down to it one man band or not don’t state something then use an excuse that you don’t have the numbers to back you up because then you end up looking like a dicknose.

7 Likes

just give us free standard china shipping as an option. what do i need express shipping for, when i have to wait at least 3 months anyway?

i am willing to believe in the november estimate and the tech looks really interesting, but man, the price point is just not right… :confused:

3 Likes

Maybe. But for something actually worth money I’m not sure I would ever use that slow shipping. I’ve lost pleanty of stuff over the years with that “free shipping” Chinese ebayers offer. Usually they send me a refund no questions asked. Either nothing was sent or it was “lost” in shipping

1 Like

Shipping is never free

26 Likes

While that’s most definitely true. It doesn’t cost $34 to ship a single speed controller anywhere in the world. Just like it doesn’t take 3 months to get something from Maytech. It take 2 days.

8 Likes

Yep I know. And apparently it costs $40 for enertion to ship China to China

2 Likes

Seriously…Not trying to stir shit up. I ordered 6 motors and a few other things a few weeks ago. It was $34 from China. If the shipping parameters aren’t working. Change them.

5 Likes

been ordering stuff on aliexpress for 5 years, cheap and expensive. out of over 500 parcels, NOT ONE was lost. just to counter your anectodal remark with another anectodal remark :wink:

for a 200+€ phone-sized product i would expect standard shipping to be included in the (still reasonable) price

2 Likes

Damn can’t even browse Internet anymore :smiley:

5 Likes

@psychotiller totally agree with you

1 Like

@Deodand , Hey, very excited for your new design and I just ordered one. I just watched your “Blacks Beach FOCBOX Unity Hill Test” youtube video. I’m not 100% across the history of VESC and the firmware/app design so forgive me if this question is already answered elsewhere.

I notice that the battery percentage readout on your app seems to be based solely on battery voltage. Ie it sags very low when battery current is high. Given that the VESC/FOCBOX/UNITY know the battery current, is there a way to make battery % be based on capacity remaining? Obviously you would need to tell the UNITY or App what your battery capacity is and it would need to keep track of when it has been fully charged.

Yep, I think a loose term people use for this is a coulomb-meter though the name isn’t quite accurate. Definitely something I’ll test out to improve accuracy there, couple other features I’ll be looking into before that, such as throttle curves.

2 Likes

Well I have the worst luck then. But I’m talking about 2-$10 items. Mostly eBay sellers from China. Haven’t had Alibaba issues.

As for expensive shipping. Look at what Landwheel charged me a few months ago. Their reasoning was that batteries shipping cost has increased… this was 3 battery packs and a drive unit so it was pretty heavy

I’m also an EE, in my designs we normally call this kind of thing a fuel gauge and coulomb counter/meter is also used. On most of my battery powered devices there is a dedicated chip keeping track of it via a sense resistor. I think you can do it fairly well with just the battery current information you already have. The dedicated chips sometimes do compensation using battery voltage also, but even a simple approach is better than using battery voltage directly.

It’s a source of great frustration that boards like the Evolve use battery voltage as a proxy for % full on their fancy remotes.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I’ll use both measures. Could use a complimentary filter and use the voltage measures to get an idea of total battery used and current draw to account for rate of drain in the battery.

If anyone has resources for algorithms to point me at on this topic please share.