FOCBOX UNITY | Official

Just re-read that thread. Why does @psychotiller get a beer and @torqueboards get a steak? :joy:

Yeah, you can easily open it up and unplug the module to be 100% sure if you’ve got some enemies in the russian government or something :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Chances are it shouldn’t be hard to add encryption.

1 Like

because @psychotiller beer cost would be the cost of a nice steak.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t know how hard it would be logistically, and at scale, to print out a pin code on a sticker to individually pair each unity to a device.

Hah, and maybe not enemies in the russian gov’t. But I could see a scenario where at a large group ride someone wanting to race for pink slips, and having someone open up their phone and lowering their opponents motor amps to like 10A or something like that haha

1 Like

Could probably ship it unencrypted, add an enable option to the app and when you flip it it tells you the pin code and saves it in your app.

2 Likes

Man, Enertion is so lucky to have you on their team!

3 Likes

@psychotiller is in Cali, great beer in Cali. @torqueboards live in texas, that’s where steak comes from. Saving on shipping costs :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

Haha don’t thank me until I get around to adding the feature :slight_smile:. Honestly though I think this one is an important safety one, so I’ll see what I can do.

4 Likes

All Im saying is that Enertion is essentially a 1 man op, considering 1 guy is making all the decisions and doing most of the implementation when it comes to sales. Mistakes are bound to happen. Then add in the fact that @onloop could fart 4000 miles away and someone would start bitching about it, I honestly understand why he loses patience with some people.

My Amazon comment was directed to anyone in particular, I used it to define the buyer mentality that prevails in the US and UK. People buy stuff online and immediately start checking their watches, it just doesn’t make sense.

I dig that Enertion has had its issues with shipping, but in all fairness this is an issue that every company that mass produces anything has most of the time. When it comes to elaborate manufacturing such as electronics, it’s only worse.

I’m not saying give @onloop a pass, Im just saying have some understanding. Enertion has had issues with shipping in the past and likely will again, it’s just part of the game. He will have to own those issues and figure out a way past them, if he does that I think everything is good. If he doesn’t, then we just have to wait. For my money, the FocBox is still the best ESC available and that includes the VESC6 and every VESC6 clone I’ve personally used. So I’m happy to wait.

5 Likes

I’d add that there aren’t many verticals where the manufacturers and the consumers are this close together.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent point, the proximity of seller to buyer in this market is extreme. Honestly, that may NOT be a good thing although it seems counterintuitive to say so.

Tough to manage expectations

1 Like

I don’t think this is in regard to people expecting these things in any timely fashion after all anyone who thinks were really getting the Unity in November with no delays is the King of Wishful Thinking.

It’s more so that the shipping / price increase looks skeptical ( at this point I don’t even care anymore) , when Jason spouts one thing and others come with a rebuttal. And it’s not helping when Jason claims that any comments of criticism is trolling. Trolling involves malice or at the very least the intent to disrupt when not a single comment on this thread is such. They’re Critisisms and valid ones at that.

2 Likes

I’m not an enertion employee, nor do I own any stock, nor do I really give a damn about the Unity. It just doesnt appeal to me, nothing against the product. I’m just trying to urge patience for the people that are interested in this product.

Yet you say “after all anyone who thinks were really getting the Unity in November with no delays is the King of Wishful Thinking”. Doesn’t that sound a bit malicious to you? It does to me.

It’s like this. Shipping times are going to be long, get used to it or stay angry, but know your anger doesn’t hurt anyone but yourself. These criticisms are minor, dont have anything to do with production and shipping, which is the issue that everyone seems to be having. I agree the pricing increase was odd, but I dont think its skeptical. Frankly, with all the criticisms going Jasons way, Id likely give a smartass answer too. Try to see all the crap that’s getting flung at Jason EVERY TIME he releases a product.

4 Likes

@mmaner

Stop waisting your time, it seem like people don’t really see the market behind the Unity, which is mainly the reseller and wholesale.

Think about it for the FOCBOX small and big reseller where having a profit around 10% which is kinda bad, but you know the FOCBOX was marketed for individual sale and there wasn’t much profit to be made for the reseller.

But the Unity is marketed as a reseller product, so it will probably cheaper to buy from reseller across the glode than directly from Enertion (and I don’t blame them for this, because handling individual is time and money consuming). Also, I should help those resellers to get a bigger part of the cake (probably 20-25% profit, which is more what a reseller should get) help them grow, which if far more beneficial for the community than lower shipping price for each individual.

3 Likes

Its not a wast of time for me, if I can help people see the realities of purchasing in a miniature market and therefore help everyone’s expectations be more accurate.

This makes a lot more sense to me. At this point I kinda wish @onloop would just say “fuck it, no individual sales, Im selling to retailers only, PM/Email you vendor of choice for a price”.

5 Likes

He kinda said that, but you know people are never going to be happy whatever @onloop said…

1 Like

Honestly, speaking as the engineer, November is a pretty solid estimate. There’s always a possibility for delays but if things went perfect we could have things ready in October I think but chances are there will be a hiccup or two so an extra month sounds good.

3 Likes

I disagree. it’s not something I’m pulling out of my ass here , nor is intended to be an attack on Enertion. It’s a Statement based on Enertions history of shipping and delays on a number of their flagship products.

Now mind you I’m not soley blaming Enertion as I can imagine working with Manufacutres who don’t adhere to your specific instructions or running out of supply for a needed Material would throw a rench in any preset deadline, but the reality here , as it was during Black Friday and as it is with the Raptor 2 , is that any important product from Enertion that receives a ludicrous amount of orders is subject to not be delivered on time , one way or the other.

This isn’t meant to be malicious, nor trolling , nor anything related of the sort, but an observation that as of the last year , has shown to be more true than false.

And if statements drawn from observations are malicious than fuck me and call me a walking casket cause I don’t mean it that way.

5 Likes

Whats the deadline for these baby’s to ship at?, like If its later than _ we will refund or compensate.