FLIPSKY 4.20, A Explanation to the mystery, and how to stop the cutouts entirely!

Hmm, there might be something else wrong with the ESC then. Is this with a battery with a BMS connected?

I didnā€™t make the battery, but I asked for it to have discharge bypassed. I guess it does sound like the battery is cutting outā€¦I might need to cut it open and inspect.

Well, at least I completed the repair successfully it appears!

When the lights go out, check if anything gets warm, if not, probe across the positive and negative terminals with a multimeter to see if battery voltage is still present.

1 Like

Thanks for helping me finally figure out what was going on :stuck_out_tongue: Turns out its the battery. My battery meter is connected to power before the ESC, and when the problem happens, its turning off as well. I thought the ESC was faulting!

Iā€™ll bet the battery has the discharge wired through the BMS as you suggested. Iā€™ll need to hack open the shrink wrap and confirm/repair.

2 Likes

Glad I could help :).

I had a go at this yesterday and think Iā€™ve ballsed it up somewhere motors and remote were set up previously on this Vesc. I removed all the resistors fairly quickly and took a bit over an hour to re solder the new resistors in. The slave vesc (2) seems to make a knock when spinning the motor up if I switch the motor to the other vesc it spins up fine

Did you try running the detection again after the resistor swap? Does the motor spin up at all?

Yeah both motors are spinning I pulled the vesc back out and rechecked all the solder joints I canā€™t pick the fault Iā€™ll try reconfiguring them and see what it does

Redetrcting the motors had them configure fine. Although neither side would complete the hall sensor detection. I set the motor amps to something that would have caused a full shutdown of the fsesc 50A and took it out for a test run. There was a notorious rise in the footpath that this exact fsesc, motor and remote combo just wouldnā€™t climb it would have been a rise over 50m going up 5m in total. The fsesc at 30A wouldnā€™t make it up and any higher setting would cause a reset here every time. She lost a bit of speed but hauled my fat ass up there no worries

I forgot to say THANK YOU

1 Like

Welp. Despite feeling like I did a decent enough job with the new resistors, I connected to the bldc tool, ran motor configuration and poof! Smoke came out and vesc will no longer turn on. Thatā€™s a real bummer. There are no bridges, thatā€™s for sure. I guess I mustā€™ve missed a connection somewhere, but I was under the impression that nothing would happen. Oh well.

Who wants a dead vesc?

1 Like

I feel your pain, brother. I might suggest that before you write it off completely, check in with the Wizard @JohnnyMeduse to see if it can be saved.

Good call. Thank you. I shot him a message for now.

The worst part is I was quite proud of myself when I put my soldering iron downā€¦ thought I did a pretty good job.

2 Likes

Yes, I have felt this particular emotional rollercoaster more than once, and on far less ambitious undertakings.

If you donā€™t send it to @JohnnyMeduse I would highly recommend to do so) just send me a pmā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Resistors come mainly in standard sizes, like

1, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7, 6.8

then multiply those all by ten or divide by ten any number of times, those are the standard sizes you can choose from. So it probably wasnā€™t a decimal error, it was probably just a less good design, but intentional.

As @Gamer43 said, itā€™s directly from the original VESC 4 design

2 Likes

Awesome work!

Before my question, I just want to admit, I havenā€™t read all the postsā€¦ Sryā€¦

Would this work for 4.12 hardware and prevent the mosfet from getting crazy hot (75 degrees Celsius even at low speed with 20A motor and 10A battery)?

noop sorry!

1 Like

It would actually make it utterly unusable.

Thats why you dont use international rectifier mosfets.

But everyone seems to love using them :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just got my Vesc 4.20 today, all the resisters say 47o in all the right places, so glad I found this thread before I ordered, I was gonna get a 4.12 version due to reading about cutouts. Thanks a ton guys.