First DIY/ Liftboard Mod

well I dont know what is causing that, but it’s fair to say that is why your VESC isnt talking to compy. do both say that error??

Yeah it seems like I’m getting an error no matter the device or cord used for it, that’s why I wondered if you guys thought it was better to go with a different company besides torque boards for VESC? I know they’re all based off the same open source stuff but I assume there are differences depending on who’s made them. What do you think as far as that?

I have used enertion and ollin VESC’s and have never had issues with either… having said that I have also never shorted the outputs. i feel that no matter who made the VESC, an output short would kill it.

1 Like

Ollin and Axle are my go to’s. They’ve proven to be pretty high quality. Sure sounds like a VESC issue.

Would you go with the basic VESC or the heat sink from Ollin? I want to make sure it will fit in the 12s4p compartment, is the heat sink piece that big on it?

Any of chaka’s VESC would be fine, even one without the heat sink.

Stm32 driver link

Update driver manually, point towards the stm32 folder

Didn’t fix it, same error

Are you able to snap a hirez pic like this, to see if there’s anything funky with these two resistors

on the top right of the bldc tool does it give you options of different numbers you can chose to connect. don’t know the lingo but I have to chose the right number. plug in the vesc then refresh the list then chose it. think it’s 3 or 4

@Lunasi - You can send me an email dexter@ I can see if I can help.

@torqueboards thanks for the reply Dex. I’ll message you on your chat support when I’m off work today.

Regarding various VESCs there are some small variations on component choices between different manufacturers and different runs will have different problems I’m sure depending on the machines putting the boards together and available components at the time and all (think some capacitors or resistors or whatever can be changed as long as they have roughly the same values or are within the same tolerance they might be sourced from one manufacturer or another). Basically long way to say it’s a bit of a crap shoot but in general haven’t seen this particular issue come up really at all. I’ve heard maytech VESCs have some issues I think particularly with doing FOC at all but if you plan to use hall sensors for the motors and FOC mode for smoother acceleration then there is the FOCbox or VESC6 that both seem to be solid for that.

Regarding the connection to the computer it sounds like you’re checking the right places in windows but I’ve just abandoned windows and moved over to Linux about 4 or 5 years ago so doing advanced debugging in there is a bit beyond me at this point. You can try checking the event viewer to see if there’s anything in the application (or other) logs related to the bldc process or that happens when you try to connect the VESC to the computer but hard to say without being there or having hands on it.

If you want to give it a go from linux you can just run ubuntu off a flash drive without installing it completely and could try from there:

From in linux you can use the dmesg command in a terminal to see information about any devices plugged in and unplugged, can also use lsusb to list usb devices. If those seemed to show everything okay and no errors coming from dmesg after you plug in the board then you should be good to install and use the BLDC tool (dmesg should show that it saw a new device and the system gave it some id or should tell you if something went wrong trying to talk to the new device and that error should lead to more info).

If you decide not to do that would just do as you’re doing work with support and get it exchanged or try another vendor.

So I talked to Dexter yesterday and still can’t fix the driver issue but found out the motor and his battery I bought are already pre-loaded on that VESC as it’s base setting. That means for the time I can ride and I’ve got ample time in the future to work out my computer issues. :slight_smile:

Im irish i love the uk and the people but thats funny

1 Like

If you have it working - great, but i bet there is something up with the versions you are running in windows vs the firmware on the VESC. They are really picky. I’ve found the easiest way to do it is via Linux following Ben’s instructions step by step.

OR EVEN BETTER - The new VESC Tool is F’ing awesome. Wizard driven and simple, plus on Windows (I’m a linux noob, so much easier for me). I’ve programmed 7 or 8 VESC’s now w/ the new VESC Tool. It’s supposed to be out “any minute” to everyone and works fantastic with 4.xx hardware. I’m one of the Beta folks with VESC Six, so that’s how i got it early.

Not sure if it’s out yet, but i’d check here frequently - i’ll also look on the forums there to see any ETA if known: http://vesc-project.com/vesc_tool

HTH - GL!

Post pics of what your doing

I’ll be posting more soon, I have it all together now but I hated the deck and went to swap it. I got a loaded Poke deck instead of the awful liftboard particle board thing I started with but the torque boards enclosure really hates the shape of that deck. I also need to sandwich the components together a bit more to fit the deck. Waiting on my next paycheck and I think I’m going to go to a 3D printer place and have them make me a custom enclosure. For the bit I’ve rode it though this thing is a friggin rocket. I went for the extra torque gearing and if I’m moving already boy does this thing climb even the steepest hills! I’ll post more pics when finished, hate showing a picture of an unfinished product. With the deck change this thing is now 100% not a liftboard and I couldn’t be happier!

2 Likes

custom enclosure from a 3d print? expensive for a one-time thing. if anything use the print for a mold and then you have huge variability of materials to make it with and it can be done many times.

1 Like

Dont waste your money doing that heres a link https://psychotiller.com

Ill be sure theres one there for you if not email him He will get you sorted im sure