First DIY/ Liftboard Mod

Like a different USB cord? I only have the brand new one I bought with the motor and the kit, its not like a micro USB its one of those strange off brand mini USB to USB connections.

Yea some cables only have pins for power, but not data. If it came with your VESC though, it should work.

I’m hoping its either that I’m a complete numb skull or its just some defect and it has to be replaced. I’m good with computers so this shouldn’t be that hard to figure out, I’m so eager to ride my board, its just sitting here 80% of the way done and I can’t ride it… scrooge mc duck!

Sending it back in for them to take a look at the VESC and make sure there’s not an issue. Guess we’ll see what happens. Hoping I’m not being a clutz and missing something important. I followed literally everything Dexter told me to do though so I’m hoping this isn’t just user error.

Other question, how do you change the belt tension with these Boosted cloned motor mounts? Can’t see any slotted holes in the pictures lowGuido posted a while ago …

@anon42702729 good question! I actually posted about it earlier but this is a big post so its easy to lose it in all of this. So as I pointed out earlier there really is no way to adjust the motor mounts, and if you go to their website it even states that. I’ve gone through a single motor and two duals that were all sent to me for free and the first board worked great for like 2 weeks and then the belt wore and snapped, I messaged the owner and he sent me a free pack of belts and overnighted it. Sounds great right? So I put the new belt on the next day and the belt tension is totally out of whack and has no tension at all. I message them and they send me more belts saying that maybe the belts are wrong, I get the belts and they’re the same size belts again xD. So I’m living in NYC at the time and figure, I’ll go over to Kaly NYC and ask him what to do, he knows electric boards inside out. I head over to his place and show him the board and ask him what I can do and he looks over it and messes around and says “well you can’t adjust the motor mounts at all on this, you need new motor mounts.” So I send the thing into them and their final reply on it is that it was missing a screw in the mount… So finally they send me a dual motor board to replace it for the issues, that one gets to me, runs great for a week or so and then I hit a tiny little puddle and it kills something in the board, I’m assuming the water got into their badly placed charge port, none the less that it was a 90 degree sunny and hot day out and this was a tiny skid of water. So they send me another board and within I’d say 4 days one of the belts started to lose tension, I went to replace the belt and once again once replaced it had no tension at all. I inquired to liftboard and they had the gaul to say that a screw must be missing from the motor mount once again. I have one working motor on one side “with” tension and one on the other “without” tension and both have all the same screws in them, down to the set screws. So I tell them they’re wrong and there are no screws missing, finally a guy acknowledges the fact that their mounts can become lose over a period of time and you have to move them back into place. Okay so that would be easy peasy if you had a motor mount that one could adjust but they don’t, and secondly they even glue the motor mounts to the trucks so you CANNOT physically move them if you wanted to. All in all the liftboard has been a painful process for me but its taught me a lot about the quality that one puts in and gets out of a product and has inspired me to take the broken pieces and put them back together into something better. That said I have even spoken to the owner once at least in an email and told him that his motor mounts are a major issue that needs to be addressed. The Liftboard actually performs amazingly well out of the box but it has real issues that appear with hard riding and commuting like I do. Personally I think if they upped the quality of their deck, got a real enclosure instead of that aluminum monster, upped the speed to at least 22mph, had adjustable motor mounts, waterproof if not water resistance, a little bit better battery, higher quality remote and made the wheels interchangeable and could keep it at $700 and below they’d be able to compete with a company like boosted or some of the other top names. For now though in my honest opinion from riding a leiftech regularly which is already a kind of touchy board, my leiftech doesn’t even compare in the problems it has in comparison, its mostly things that can be avoided with regular maintenance. The liftboard on the other hand to me has major flaws which appear fast to the avid rider but maybe a bit slower to the casual rider, which lets be honest if you’re in the $500 e-skate market you generally are a casual rider just getting into the sport and maybe not riding the board as hard as others. If I was rating it on only my first 3 days of riding and was only judging price vs performance I’d give it at least an 8 out of 10. If I was judging the board on its overall flaws that appear vs price, performance and other specs I’d probably put it at a 4, which is where it is as a low/mid market board.

Motor mounts arent glued to the trucks

They most definitely are glued down they even told me they were, none the less that I’ve actually taken the board apart and seen that they are and you’ve really only ridden it.

I disassembled my board as well, since the motor mount was becoming loose, and i used an allen wrench to tighten the motor mounts. I am pretty sure the mounts arent glued. However, the motors are glued to the mount.

@Jinra @Hummie @sl33py @wafflejock @lowGuido

Okay so I have been sitting on this for a while because I wanted to do this right. I bought a 12s4p battery from torque boards that comes with the enclosure and I’m at the very end point basically where all I need to do is program the vesc. I had this issue before when I first received it earlier where it wasn’t connecting to the computer. I sent it in for them to look at it and they never said anything about it and sent it back like 2 weeks later. I got the 12s4p earlier this week and went to program it all. The VESC still wont connect and the torque boards guys said try a different computer or cord. So I have tried 3 different cords, 3 computers and my android phone and none can connect to the VESC. I’m starting to think they didn’t look at my VESC at all and just sent it back. When I plug it in the motor responds to my remote and flashes blue the right way but I never get a connection in the program on my computer.

So I’m at the point now where I want this thing to work and I have a couple options and wanted to know peoples thoughts. First things first is that I feel I need to send this VESC in again because I have put multiple variables in now and I know it is not my computers or the cords. Either way I’m buying another vesc in the future for an eventual dual motor so I could have him overnight a new controller while the other gets fixed.

Option two, send in the current controller and order a VESC from another company such as Ollin board or Trampa with built in heat sink. These seem like much higher quality VESC’s but I want to know what peoples opinions are on this. I just don’t want to waste my time again on a VESC that can’t even do the most important thing, connect to a computer so so its even of use.

I really want this done soon, but I want this done right, I also don’t want to dick around with different cords and computers anymore either when it should just plug and play. What would you guys do here?

have you made sure you are connecting to the correct com port in device manager?

The only thing I see is COM 1 for a port option on it

you using windows?

At least on my main computer, the other computers I used had all these Bluetooth ports and stuff but I honestly am a little bit lost with what to do. I’ve watched a bunch of the videos and it seems so simple, I’ve been trouble shooting this for a while now and I feel like I should be on track. :-/ I swear everything makes such perfect sense to me so I feel like the VESC shouldn’t be that hard

I’ve tried on windows (main computer) and two apples plus my android phone

Android phone notes that theres a connection but it says “weak connection” my windows computer also has trouble programming the USB. It also recognizes that there is a USB plugged in but it for some reason runs on issues reading it

connect VESC to USB and then press windows key and break. thenclick device manager and look at ports. it should tell you what com port it is. mine is usualy 3 or 4. then got to the BLDC tool and change com to that number… just type it in if it wont let you select it.

1 Like

Comes up as unknown device

Drivers say up to date

“Device Status” Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)