First Build | Dual Hub Motor | Internal Planetary Gearbox | 4260 300KV | VESC

The planetary gears can be made if you got an indexing rotary table and a fly cutter. Internal gears require either the hobbing or broaching method. This can be done on the lathe also.

1 Like

thanks everyone!

@Eboosted what @BoostedBuilder said is right. it is just an reduction. the same idea as an belt drive only now internal and with gears.

@Nordle nice im building also an cnc mill at the moment. What @pxss already said i made the gears with an EDM machine with an tolerance of 0.01mm. most parts i made are within 0.02mm because you dont want a lose bearing or put to much pressure in it.

2 Likes

Have you riden them or not?

From the video I see this is going to have a lot of drag, canā€™t say though if it hasnā€™t been riden.

I wonder if it would have any benefits over a regular hub motor

@Fatos No I was to enthusiastic that I damaged one motor. I fucked up the windings. I already contacted some motor manufactures but it is very expansive or the delivery time is end of January. Therefore, I will rewind them myself. I get the wire tomorrow so I hope to test it soon.

@Eboosted You can compare the friction with a belt drive I think. That is without the oil seal. I removed that because the friction was too high. I will now use grease.

1 Like

Keep it up ! @fliess Look it up, how about trying this next year for your hubs :laughing:

@Eboosted I get the feeling it should be ok since all revolving parts are centered around one single axis unlike with belt. It will make a big difference with riderā€™s weight on it.

3 Likes

@Vanarian, I am still for proper wheels, if you wanna ride properly :wink: But in general, @Frank, my respect, very nice job!

2 Likes

Bettery Pack :heart_eyes: The BMS(DieBieMS) will be on the eight slot.

9 Likes

Cool to see someone, who is planing to build in the DieBie :slight_smile: Is that a 7s7p, or did you make some weird wiring? -Stupid question, 49 is only dividable by 7

Ok that doesnā€™t make sense huh My guess is 10s wiring looks like 7-7

it is an 7s7p pack @Steve-81 @banjaxxed

Cool build log. Thanks for introducing to all the machining tools and jargons :slight_smile:

I think your topic does deserve build of the year or similar titleā€¦ too bad we dont have special category on the forumā€¦ :smiley:

As everyoneā€¦ really waiting to see it in action, looks like that projects like these do take some time to accomplish :slight_smile:

On a side note, since you are good with machining parts -

What do you think about dual wheel drive with single motor, where there is a differential in the ā€˜middleā€™?

How difficult such project would be?

It is meant more for mountainboard, so there is more spaceā€¦

I was originally thinking about fitting inner gear into existing wheel / outside of sprocket, then run an axle to the other side (with differential in the middle?) and then connect that to the second wheelā€¦

If this would be possible within, lets say 50 - 80 eur range, that would be a success, since lowest cost for 5060 or so motors is about 35-40 eur, calculate controller + some wires on top of it = it becomes almost 80 eur,

plus the motor mount etc but im not including mechanical parts here.

So yeh, ā€˜cheapā€™ single motor driven dual wheel ā€˜systemā€™ would be awesome, if it could be machined / made personally.

Ive got 6374 motor, so it has more than enough power to drive 2 wheels, I thinkā€¦

The only unclear part is this differentialā€¦ On another thread someone mention that for 1/8 size rc cars something useful could be found, since it is all metal there, tooā€¦

This has been beaten to death in another thread. Check out endless sphere too. Those rc differentials donā€™t last, you need something 1/5 or 1/4 scale and it gets large and expensive

1 Like

@Okami haha thanks! I hope you and all the others liked my topic and get some ideas/learned something.

I cannot also wait but because 1 motor is broken I need too rewind it first (didnā€™t had the time jet).

I think a differential wound be very cool(maybe an new project :cold_sweat: but I think it is not cheaper than an dual drive because you canā€™t buy an differential(accordingly to @ugothakd ) and making one takes time, lots of it I think.

2 Likes

Found OPā€™s next prototype hub motors.

25 Likes

I was preparing for you (and me) the surprise for this beginning of the year for air wheels ā€¦ :blush: :wink: but you find it :smile:

Iā€™m working on it since last summer (for my Darth Vapor Street Fighter version) thanks Frank for your inspiration !!

3d conception almost ok, full 3d print coming soon ! Some row pic - here 1st ā€œ3d prototypeā€ : :wink:

7 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m looking at, but I like the sound and looks of it!

2 Likes

@Frank what is the final ratio of your gearing ? Did you sort out your shorted phase ? I wanna see the damn thing run :laughing:

1 Like

Ehm im not certain but if im correct 2,45. Not that much but the problem was that the inner gear will be smaller when you reduce it more and that would give problems with bearingsā€¦

Nicee that I inspired more people to build an planatairy drive. You will learn so much by building something like this.

I am still hope mine will work but the experiance is already totally worth it

3 Likes

Well yea I got hooked by the idea haha, want to try it too ! Not right now but yep!

1 Like