Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

I’m pretty sure without traction control if you break a belt on one motor you lose brakes/power on both motors. Not sure if there is another way to prevent this and idk if this happens also if say you break a phase somehow. Considering going back to Y for this reason

Hm why would it behave like that? If traction control is off, it should ignore whatever the other VESC is doing in terms of RPM

Disconnected a belt and that’s what happened. My guess is since throttle is current based the master doesn’t need many amps with no load. Traction control makes it rpm based so it functions

Did you disconnect the slave or master belt?

The masters belt

Ah, does it behave similarly if you disconnect the slave?

I don’t think I tried that, to lazy now. Give it a try when you get the chance

1 Like

I use split PPM so i won’t get too. Also my CAN pins ripped off my chaka VESC

I just switched to traction control. Wondering if it would have helped me the other day. Not sure if this is how it happened, but I was going over a slippery surface (handicapped sign freshly painted black @ night) only on one side and my wheel must have spun out and once I hit traction I was on the ground. Also wonder if it helps under braking on on low traction areas like dirt trails with urethane wheels

Just wanted to post a little warning to people with FOCBOX, do NOT flash any firmware while you are still under warranty, Enertion says that voids your warranty and will only help you if buy the plat warranty for $80. The DRV fried on mine in under a month and enertion is blaming the firmware. I know the firmware was not at fault, I hadn’t even gotten around to tweaking settings yet, everything stock with motor detection, batt max 28 and min -12. I was running FOC sensored on a 400 watt motor, battery is 7S3P panasonic 18650. I’m never buying enertion products again.

This is the first time I’ve heard of a burnt DRV on the FOCBOX, interesting.

I’ve broken belts on both the slave motor and master motor while riding with traction control. From my experience, when the slave belt breaks it still works fine. When the master belt breaks, it’s pretty dangerous and unpredictable - sometimes applying brakes to the slave at weird times and it’s unable to go full rpm…

HW version on mine is 1.6 if that makes a diff

Why would you not just revert back to the standard firmware before contacting the support? Doesn’t the VESC allow that when the DrV is burned? I thought it’s possible.

Don’t know, maybe. I was just being honest with them. Guess that was my mistake, I believed the hype in all their videos about quality and customer service. I think regardless of what I said they would’ve found a reason to make me buy the plat warranty.

So the question becomes is traction control a feature worth having since Y splitter would probably be safer.

First a big thank you for this awesome firmware. I installed 2 vescs on my Leiftech, set it up in watt no reverse with break mode and I must say it really unleashed my riding.

When I first set it up I had a weird issue though, not sure if it could be due to the firmware or something else but since I resolved it by tweaking just one firmware setting I thought it would probably be good to let you know about it.

My master motor was stuttering a bit at low throttle while the slave motor was running smoothly. Increasing the throttle past a certain point and both motors were running right. https://youtu.be/Ln4v_Jo1ETs

This was with traction control disactivated. The issue disappeared when I tried to activate it. I then rode one hour with traction control, then I disactivated it again and the problem did not reappear. I’ve ridden for 5 days now without any other issue.

some screenshots from the master vesc settings : https://s1.postimg.org/7uv5ucle4v/motor.png I’m aware I’d forgotten to setup the battery cutoffs https://s1.postimg.org/4awgqdc633/bldc.png https://s1.postimg.org/4ktrr6edov/app.png https://s1.postimg.org/72v1qsbaof/ppm.png

I did not try running the motors with the stock firmware previously so I have no Idea if this is firmware related. Just wondering where this could be coming from.

1 Like

Shot in the dark as dont see all your settings, if using Canbus instead of split PPM did you set slave VESC to send status over CAN?

Yes the slave sent status over can and no split PPM. The issue only appeared on the motor connected to the master VESC. I did not think about filming the realtime plot, I would have if the issue had not disappeared after my first shot at troubleshooting, which was to enable traction control. There was no fault reported. At the time I thought it more probable that it was caused by a bad slipring connection (I had just sanded and painted the extension patch right next to the slipring cover), but since the issue disappeared just by enabling traction control I think that hypothesis less probable.

Donated ! Amazing work @Ackmaniac ! Thanks !