Extended BLDC-TOOL with Watt Control Mode, PPM Cruise Control, individual Throttle-Curve and Android App

Still, shouldn’t I be able to get more usable throttle room?

Setup watt control and you are good to go

I am using watt control

Adjusted the Transmitter Settings (max, low and mid bandwidth)?

Yup ive got the pulsewidth set perfectly and my throttle trim adjusted too

Lets say for example you setup the gearing of your board to 25 km/h. For that speed you only need around 250 Watts. But settings of the VESC allow 2500 Watts. then even at 10 % throttle you would be able to reach top speed. The difference in Watt control is that before you reached the max speed which depends on your motors KV you are able to control the power output. But once you reached the max speed you can only control the power which is less to hold that speed. Every throtlle input that allows more power will only hold the max speed.

huh, that’s disappointing. I’m still gonna use the your firmware tho

If you’re used to or expecting position based speed control, you may initially be disappointed in how current control works just as i was. However, over time i realized that it’s just as good a control mode if not better than position based speed control.

I’m trying to figure out if traction control is for me or not. Would this help for an even push when carving at high speeds?

Is there a downfall if any?

Traction control made things a bit rough (stuttering motors) when blasting full throttle from standstill for me, so I turned it off. The only downside in turning it off is that if your wheel lifts it can free spin, but it doesn’t really affect anything. If anything it helps me know when I’m losing traction.

2 Likes

I just wanted to post this here so @Ackmaniac could see this as I posted this in my boost thread here but not sure if he will see it.

Concerning the noise on the current sensor creating a bad reading and a “boost” at high throttles…

The current default control loop is 2000hz I believe. Do you think we can lower the control loop time so that we can increase the sample rate? This in theory should smooth everything out and reduce the noise on the current sensor and hopefully get rid of the high duty cycle boost everyone is experiencing.

Thoughts?

I have good experiences with setting the switching frequency to 30000 for FOC. Exspecially on 6355 Motors this improves the smoothness of the motor a lot. Exspecially at higher speeds the motors start to vibrate with a switching frequency of 20000. At 30000 this is gone. But not sure about the power boost. I mainly use the FOCBOX and with this the issue is still there but you don’t really recognize it. On my single drive with 4.10 HW it is very strong.

Do you think the higher switching frequency has any bearing on probability of burning the DRV?

I personally think that you put a bit more stress on the mosfets. Could be that they get a little hotter. But didn’t have any issues with that. And i think it protects the drive because the current reading becomes much better.

To say it short. My 6355 Motors killed a VESC 4.12 in FOC with 20000 and were undrivable because of the strong vibrations at high speed. (the whole board vibrated) With 30000 Hz i never had a issue and the motors run buttery smooth. It’s also a bit more silent. And in the analyse graph of bldc-tool it get’s the best results. Above 30000 it becomes worse again.

At the weekend i drove @Nowind board and it had the same issue. Even with Vedders new Vesc-Tool firmware for Hardware version 4. Setting the frequency to 30000 also fixed that issue. With 28 pole motors like the Enertion Ghost of the Raptor 2 it didn’t really make a difference.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the knowledge bomb! I’ll try this out when i get my chaka vesc back from repair. I had stuttering and over current issues when i hit 47k erpm on that build.

I wish there was more data out there for 6374. So little info makes me a bit uneasy being Magellan testing things never done before on this setup. Many say 12S in FOC with 6374 is really playing with fire :confused:

Think bumping to 30,000 in hybrid mode would be risky for this setup?

Oh BTW here are the graphs to show you just how bad the power boost is on a 6374 setup. You can see it jump from 89% duty cycle straight to 95% :scream: quite terrifying to have happen at 32mph!!!

That 12S in FOC doesn’t work is a myth. I run it like that all the time. Seems like many say what one guy imagined.

Not that the doesn’t work but just that you’ll have a much higher chance of blowing the chip. Do you have some settings you could suggest for my setup? Here is my main motor settings which seem to be working ok for hybrid mode… I’m running torque vescs and 6374

What should I suggest? What Do you want. If it is fine for you then leave it as it is

I meant a starting point to try FOC mode as I’ve never tried it.