EU Law - (The Netherlands) for Electric Vehicle / Longboard

To charge a 300Wh battery (about 27km range) and a Kilowatt-hour of energy (1000Wh) costs 15c So you can go 27km for about 4c, The energy is clean But there are issues How will the Government Tax such low costs? will they tax for the electricity used maybe 7cents instead of 4cents. And what about the People Who make billions off selling Fuel?

theres electric cars ,why not esk8’s …and why should they tax an eboard? we cant insure one so why should they get to tax us. price electricity is high enough in ireland they make enough haha

1 Like

any changes happening with irish law?

No but im on to a td here in dublin ill let you know…

hows your board

2 Likes

Probably nice to have an overview of the total amount of EU countries that allow it? From what i can find, please correct if wrong:

Legal:

• Finland (if ≤ 25 km/h, if < 1 kW)
  • Sweden (if ≤ 20 km/h)
  • Denmark (if ≤ 20 km/h)
  • Norway (if ≤ 20 km/h)
  • Belgium (if ≤ 18 km/h) (if ≤ 25 km/h in progress, est. valid. 2021)
  • France (if ≤ 25 km/h) (still a fine possible, according to some sources)

Not legal:

• Netherlands
  • Germany (maybe: legal if ≤ 6 km/h)
  • Austria
  • UK
  • Swiss
  • Italy (maybe: legal if ≤ 6 km/h)
  • Ireland

(Spain, Cech, Kroatia, Poland?)

4 Likes

In Belgium we have the same rights as electric bikes. Only difference is non bikes electrics are only legal if they cannot go faster than 18kph whereas electric bikes are allowed to 25kph. Sidewalks are limited to 5kph. Protections not mandatory. Bikelane usage is mandatory if there is one. Probably one of the best countries in that regard, no cop should fine you as long as you’re not blatantly faster than 20kph.

Thanks man! Do you have any source in Vlaams (Dutch) where i can verify?

Hard for me to do since I havent practiced vlaams since high school 25 years ago but you should look for Voortbewegingstoestellen in the road code Maybe https://www.das.be/C12575670042A839/_/654AA6EC690A2540C1258083004DCA41?OpenDocument. Not sure what it’s saying though.

Great! Thanks.

Nice list! You can update that in Finland the top speed for legal esk8 is 25km/h and maximum power output 1kW.

Thanks for the help! Do you happen to know any nice boarding routes in Fin?

That’s mostly correct, but I do believe we still need an insurance… It’s like the Segway, you also need an insurance for that.

Never the less, I’ve crossed paths with about 50 cop cars by now of which 15+ definitely knew I was electric and I haven’t been stopped a single time.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/ambcrypto.com/elaadnl-worlds-first-iota-miota-smart-charging-station-is-released/amp/

netherlands leading the way in so many things, article on a cryptocurrency payment EV charging system. world first in the netherlands.

I have a Yuneec ego since almost 2 years now (so 20kmh max, looks like a normal longboard), and I’ve been using it regularly to go to work around Eindhoven. I’ve never encounter any issue with the cops, but on another hand I am mostly in a park, not visible from the road. Hopefully this will stay like this, especially since I’m waiting on a more powerful board!

@luuckyy94 Depends a lot where you are going! I have been planning trip to Åland (island that is part of Finland but that operates autonomously). Was there couple years back with bike and it would suit for longer esk8 trip as well. Shorter nature inspired trips you can find outside every city, in Finland you dont have to go far to find yourself surrounded by forest or lakes/sea.

http://www.visitaland.com/en/do/bicycle-or-motorbike/

4 Likes

I’m from Portugal and currently I don’t know about any restrictions about riding electric longboards or other electric vehicles like bikes. So for now so far, so good. :slight_smile:

looks to be legal in Ireland

Thanks! Added! :slight_smile:

You can change it to 25km/h legal

Hi Pjotr! Thanks for the contribution. According to the national police website the speed limit is still < 18km/h:

Would like to hear which source you used! Thanks in advance.