EU Law - (The Netherlands) for Electric Vehicle / Longboard

Local tds. Right now there talking about banning cars from city center but our bus service is bad so pushing for electric power is good…going to try and get a meeting with minister for transport

4 Likes

Lol, I have ordered the parts for my board and didn’t think about if it’s legal in the netherlands (Groningen)… but I still want to build it

1 Like

I’d say go for it and ride responsibly :).

1 Like

Hi guys, from today 1.1.18 it seems that Denmark has legalized the use of electric skateboards.

Even if the rule says that the esk8 has to have a max weight of 10kg and a maximum speed of 20km/h with a maximum range of 30km on a single charge, it is a good starting point and maybe an example/argument that can be brought in if stopped by police. Denmark is an EU country and it seems strange that EU would have different regulations on vehicles.

Here some links, I used google translate to read them, so I might have miss or misunderstood something. Any thoughts on this?

4 Likes

as a neighbour (germany) i envy you … any chance you can invade us this time and bring us some esk8 freedom? ^^

10 Likes

Yesterday it became legal to ride esk8’s in Denmark. I live in Denmark and I rode my esk8 to work today. If you have any questions about the articles, something you might need clarification on I’m here. Best Regards

2 Likes

That is very good news! Maybe other European countries can take a look at how Denmark implemented this law and maybe follow this good example :wink:

2 Likes

Hi I’m here in Ireland could u send me the new laws In English I’m trying to do the same here

Thanks

It’s up to each country what they want to do but it would be silly if people come here from Denmark with there boards and there taken off them .we are all 1 that’s what the EU make us think , we should have the same laws passed or even see them…

esk8’s fall in under the same law as bicycles now, meaning you act like a bicycle, however, there are some specific laws to esk8’s. I wrote to Ministry of transport since I cannot understand whether or not there is an age restriction on them. It looks like there aren’t any age restriction now.

esk8 are not allowed to

1. go over 30km / 18.6miles on a single charge
  2. go above 20km/h / 12.4mph.
  3. weigh above 10kg / 22lbs
1 Like

The law that is valid now in Denmark now has not legalized e-skating yet. The law gives authority to the Minister to make the rules for a “pilot / trail” without going through the parliament. The rules that Latemate is referring to is a proposals / draft of the rules that the Minister wants to make, but they are not set in stone yet. The last work process of the rules are supposed to be done this month (so soooon…) in cooperation with the police and other interest groups. Hopefully also a representative from the e-skate community. BUT the proposal is pretty thorough and they have spend a lot of time on it. I don’t think it will change much. They suggest an age limit of 15 years if you want to ride on your own. If you are younger you can ride together with someone over 18. As a kid under 15 you are allowed to ride alone without an adult on playgrounds. You can find the detailed (more detailed than what have been in the media) proposal here: http://www.ft.dk/samling/20171/lovforslag/L28/bilag/5/1819522.pdf

hornet90 - There is nothing in english.

1 Like

This is the actual law that was passed: http://www.ft.dk/ripdf/samling/20171/lovforslag/l28/20171_l28_som_vedtaget.pdf

That’s right.

I should probably have been more clear on that it is the proposed regulations.

Latemate, we are trying to influence them here at the last minute. If you want to be a part of it write me :slight_smile:

1 Like

these values sounds good, except for the weight. 10 kg is a really light board only. If you wanna ride pneumatics on an street-, or even worse, a mountainboard, it will be illegal due to overweight.

Other than that, props to the minister who sees that a change in law is needed!

Yes they have actually made a pretty good job. There are a few things we will try to see if we can change. We have to be realistic to what would be possible to influence. The point that you make about the weight is exactly one of the things I think would be realistic to influence. If we can make a good argument I think they will listen. The most important work has to be done in order to make other see e-skating as a equal way of transportation. There are two big interest groups here that have been invited to the last part of the legalization process, and they are NOT happy. They use strong words against the legalization. They want to ban e-skating. But the minister is liberal and wants to move on. Thats good for us.

1 Like

I sent you a message

nice! Keep us up to date with the progress!

That’s great it’s a great start…

I must put my board on the scales see what it is