eSkate Lights thread

So its almost time to start this new build…all parts are pretty much here… Ive scrubbed this thread but seen limited 12v rear light options. Any other recommended options beside a led light strip with adhesive tape and a couple others? =\

1 Like

I had the red one but it unscrewed itself and disappeared during a long ride

You have to locktite it just as any Otter screw

1 Like

:bulb: I wish I thought of that before lol

you can also use a nut with nylon on the inside like regular skate nuts.

Reading some people say those metal P clips break I decided to print mine in flexible TPU. I’m sure these will last a long while. The TPU will dampen the vibrations.

3 Likes

Will you have kits available?? Does it have the ability to control addressable strips? And can it connect to the UART port of say, a FOCbox for speed?

I can get some of these clips in nylon. They should last much better than metal clips right?

That’s exactly what I did and I never had an issue. :slight_smile: TPU for the win

Never used nylon so I’m not sure. Rigid plastics won’t last under the vibrations our boards go through though I think.

2 Likes

Will you have kits available??

Yes, I will eventually. I just ordered the latest version of the HW and am working on polishing the firmware and android app. Once I assemble and test the HW heavily, I will make a thread to gauge interest in kits. I’m hoping to do this within the next 2 months.

Does it have the ability to control addressable strips?

Not as of now, but that would be a great addition for v4.0 of the HW. The module currently controls only 12v analog strips for the side lights.

can it connect to the UART port of say, a FOCbox for speed?

Yes, it can connect to any VESC based ESC through I2C and all of the data from the ESC can be viewed in real-time on the app. That said, I currently only own a v4.12 VESC so I have not created/tested firmware for any others yet. I have an ESCape (HW6.4 based ESC) on the way and will be altering the firmware for that to work with my system. For ESCs I do not own, I am thinking that I will create libraries for communicating with my module so that anyone could add them to their VESCs firmware if it has not already been done.

Here are some screenshots of the main interface tabs of the app. The second picture is of the motor info tab. On this tab you can view the current values of all of the ESC data and plot them on the graph at the top by checking the check box next to the value in question.

4 Likes

I’d be up for some hardware beta testing as soon as you’re ready! I’m currently doing this with addressable strips and an arduino but have a new build coming together that I would like a more complex driver for it.

Also wondering if since you said it can be controlled by an app, that means it has bluetooth… Sooo I was curious if it could also pass communication on to Ackmaniac’s VESC app so we could connect to UART for speed data and we wouldn’t need another BT adapter.

Btw you should create your own thread so we can subscribe to it for updates!

Cool I’ll definitely need some testers to make sure the system works on different set-ups.

Yes, it has a BLE module built in so in theory it could pass info from the ESC to the Ackmaniac app. However, to accomplish this, I would need to know the communication scheme used by Ackmaniac and then have my module send out that data.

Thanks for your support. Once I assemble and test the first v3.1 HW, I will make a thread and look for a few people like you to test the system in their boards :smile:

2 Likes

just wrapping up my first build… ended up fabbing a rear light holder from 1x1 wood dowel, but have a 3d print file which i may get fabbed at some point… but did get a 3d print for the front light and added a couple holes in a block as a tool holder too… the best part NO VIBRATION NOISE… pure beautiful silence!

9 Likes

I like the hex key holder ! :slight_smile:

So I found this on Amazon and thought it would be cool to just through the bat box into my enclosure. Anyone here tried it or something similar?

awesome idea! slide in o-rings onto the hex keys so they don’t vibrate out over time.

Yes I imagine Nylon would last a very long time, only downside with Nylon with regard to 3d printing is the difficulty of printing with it (absorbs water, doesn’t stick to anything except PVA glue, doesn’t let go of PVA glue, slippery and hard so difficult for extruder gear to grip and push it, warps, etc etc.)

Sign me up, I have a Raptor 2 and good soldering skills.

Making a Raptor 2 compatible kit would be awsome ofcourse.

So, I have had great success with Nylon. WolfBite Nitro works great for the print bed and releases with water. I also use cheap Nylon from Micro Center in So Cal. http://www.microcenter.com/product/485160/175mm_Natural_Nylon_3d_Printer_Filament_-05kg_Spool(11_lbs) Unfortunately, it only comes in Natural. But, you could paint it.

1 Like