Enclosure for the mini remote

I’m always open to suggestions. I can do the angle change. The entire bottom is for batteries, so all of the components fit in the top section. The trick is to make everything fit snug but not tight, so the rounded front end will be difficult unless I make it longer.

Use only one 18650 battery, more than enough for this remote

True but Im trying to make this mod use no more than the parts available in the remote

If you wish to keep the AA battery holder, would be cool to integrate some option for folks who later use it, to add led meter or something, to monitor the state of AA cells…

Or, I dont know, at least a place for port, if someone wishes to use battery charger for AA batteries.

This could be a simple cutout near the battery compartment, with a space available to install ‘‘arduino’’ header for checking the voltage, for example.

Though this is purely optional and im just laying out my thoughts on how I would do it lol, if I had to design it…

1 Like

At this point there are apparently a few people working on this, so I’m not going for a ton of features until I get a working model printed. If you can get me the measurements for the cutouts and locations, Ill be glad to include them.

All I am really trying to do right now is make both the trigger and thumb wheel pots centered so you can choose either one for throttle and cruise control/lights. I prefer the thumb trigger of remotes like the Benchweel and Nano-X but I know a lot of people prefer triggers, this gives us the best of both worlds.

I am planning on printing the battery compartment as a separate piece so users can either use it or not, some will be replacing it with small lipo or li-ion batteries. If the double AA’s last for 6 months, I say why fix it if it ain’t broke.

woah… then I assume you got a really good batteries…

Some of the ones which I used, lasted maybe for 1-2months… before some dropouts started to happen but then again I didnt really focus on whenever these were high capacity AA’s or not… as I just threw in some which seemed to be a bit better than the rest…

I personally don’t know, just what I’ve read here. I only got a mini-remote yesterday, haven’t even used it yet. I would just like to see a mod that didn’t require a user to go out and buy 50 buck worth of stuff, the @MasterCho GT2B mod did this and was hugely popular.

After I get a working prototype I will likely branch the design to include features that other people want.

1 Like

Nice job, really intresting. Would be Nice to make the edges Where the fingers rest a bit more curved/ not as edgy for better grip or add grooves

Yeh, for now just continue on with the design and implementation of the existing stuff and after that ther can be some versions with ‘‘extra features’’ etc…

I just wont want it to be buried under piles of text etc, when u maybe progress further and some people would want to ‘‘expand’’ the capability of the remote and they would either have to redesign it a bit or use hand tools like dremel / drill to cut holes etc.

I can dig that. I wont let it get buried. After I get the initial working design done I’d be happy to let other people fork it off into whatever.

1 Like

Indeed keep on it. The moment there is one available, i’ll print and test it.

2 Likes

I figured it would be easier to fit components to a case if had models of the components with their dimensions so started drawing them today. I drew 1 of the boards a the trigger.

Here are z precise measurements for the mainboard that was in my mini controller.

To make the board smaller you can take off the trimmer potentiometers and juste bridge the terminals. I am testing how long it can run on a single 800mah cell and it is looking good.

Maximum thickness of the board is 16mm.

1 Like

Thanks for the measurements of the PCB! My mini remote didn’t arrive yet but the PCB is much smaller than I thought and should be able to fit inside a nunchuck style BT remote I got off eBay for 7 bucks!

2 Likes

Which remote is this?

Also, would adding a deadman switch be as simple as interrupting the thumbwheel with a momentary switch?

I finally learned how to use Fusion 360 and decided I’d try and make one as well. I’m modeling it after the BadWolf mod for the GT2B. I kinda liked it and it looked easy. Plus I didn’t want to tear apart my GT2B cause I use it for my RC cars.

Anyways, here is what I have so far. This is just day one of prototyping so it’s not finished. Only have one side done.

I’m also converting it to lithium power, though I don’t know if the 4.2v - >=3.3v will make the transmitter burn and I don’t want to use a regulator. The two AA batteries make up 3v, so would the lithium battery do any harm?

Use the mirror feature in the create section to duplicate it but facing the opposite way so you have two sides

Yeah, that’s what I’m going to do. I just need to get the trigger placement right first.

1 Like

don’t know about this remote but I think converting my 6V (4x1,5V) GT2E to a 2S Lipo 7+V killed it after the first full charge.