EMF / Jacob hub motor polyurethane development

They are certainly not perfect, but much better than the original ones. I don’t get slippage, unless I push them really hard uphill when they are already smoking hot. But this board I use mostly for trips in the city under 10km, so under normal conditions I don’t have any problems, and up to about 30kmh they run totally smooth. I weigh 78kg.

For me the bigger size wheels would be mostly interesting for comfort and safety, because I use this board for everyday transport around town. The improved stability will be a bonus of course.

Ok that’s good to know , when I tried those harder urethane I never got them to slip at all.

Well i really hope this design improves the safety of the hobby and overall satisfaction of performance.

I wonder if there are other motors that qualify as candidates for this 100mm prototype. I should patent this??

The Jacobs motors have a lot of torque at low speed, but some other hub motors might have a problem dealing with the larger diameter what do you think? I also use the torqueboards hub motors on another board, with 90mm wheels. But even at that size I need to get over about 15kmh before they start pulling hard. That’s generally fine, unless you’re doing a lot of stop and go. On the plus side I’m getting a higher top speed.

1 Like

Ok cool stuff I got for you guys that have ordered the wheels .I found someone that’s laser cutting the locking plates. Its being produced in galvanized 16ga steel as we speak.

Attached is a photo of the quality of the laser cut.

Stainless steel will be available soon for $15 more .

5 Likes

Thanks to the early supporters now everyone can have 16ga laser cut locking plates

2 Likes

You make me wanna get these hubs buddy

1 Like

Go for it that’s the idea!

Bigger ones will come soon. If any body wants to order the 107mm I’ll take the preorders now $99 and it will include stainless steel locking plates along with all the stainless steel hardware needed for assembly.

2 Likes

Love to see the progress you’ve made👍 I think in the end I will choose the 100mm over 107mm, with stainless steel! I ride about 300km per month, do you think I would ever need replacement wheels?

1 Like

Evolve will be selling new 97mm wheels soon, rumors are they will be a bit wider than the Abec’s.

I’m contemplating adding in free replacements if you wear them out as long as you return the old ones.

I don’t see there wearing out for at least 1.5 yrs at the rate you ride.

Regardless you would be an excellent endurance tester so personally if you wear them out and your happy with the performance I can certainly offer replacement.

Think I’ve found them but now they come in 100kv not 60 will this change anything

Where did you find these in 100kv? I want the higher kv!

That sounds great man, thanks for the offer! As far as I know those motors all come from the same factory, and just had them confirm they are 67kv. They are currently changing the design of the motors: adding hall sensors, lengthening the magnets, and changing the mounting/truck design. Supposedly they are more powerful and with better starting and climbing torque. They recommend using them with their new controller instead of the VESC. Apparently they can already be purchased, but I would be hesitant because from experience I know they tend build a lot of crap as well. Luckily they are still manufacturing the old design as well. The trucks they use will be a bit narrower for whatever reason, only about 170mm instead of 180mm. The new mounting design looks good though. My locking screws kept braking, but now I just close the axle nut extremely hard and that seems to hold them in place even with broken screws. What do think of sensored motors, are they worth it?

1 Like

I know those hands!!!

Guys no one wants to pre-order the 107mm ??

I need 5 orders to justify sending out the stainless steel plates to be cut.

Thanks

Who is it? Do you know what’s going on there?

1 Like

No I really don’t but when i saw the hands i knew who it was.

They treated me very fair. They are business people but they stand behind what they sell.

I like the fact that my wheels will work with those motors though and I wonder if they can provide some dyno data on output power of the old ones vs these.

Word of advice…dont be a guinea pig tester

Sure they are good salespeople most of the time. The VESC’s I got from them blew up after 2 days, and they didn’t really want to deal with that. Had them repaired by Lucas from lp-electronic in Germany, now they run really well. I’m not an expert, but apparently they had some serious design flaws. I’m happy to keep buying the original 83mm motors from them, and I’m curious about the new design, but yeah… don’t want to be the guinea pig :slight_smile:

1 Like

Id be their guinea pig if they were 100kv. 67kv doesnt entice me lol

They might make them in 100kv for you, they seem to be pretty good with that.