EMF / Jacob hub motor polyurethane development

Hey, I’m still up for a set. I haven’t received an email with the invoice or payment options. Can you send it to [email protected]

Will make the payment some time tommorow. Is that ok

1 Like

For those that want to accent the outer face with a distinct look.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/290835295087

2 Likes

Any plans for making 107/108mm wheels? I would go for the 100mm wheels but I just need matching wheels for the front in terms of width, can’t help it. It seems that the Abec11 107mm would fit. Could dye them in black with RIT dye.

1 Like

I think 97mm clones should work fine. A 3% difference in diameter should be negligible

I’m talking about the width/contact path, not the diameter

But the 100mm are diameter :confused: I can’t find any information on the contact patch and why would you even care if there is a slight difference? It is not like you can see a 2mm difference in contact patch so it will be not noticeable.

OK so I think the contact path of the 97mm clone wheels is about 45-50mm and the width of the 100mm hub wheels I’m guessing will be about 60-65mm? Call me weird but I prefer to have them approx. equal.

If you have Jacob’s Hubs you have clones in the front right now as well - do you see a difference in contact path? I never noticed any - why should increasing the diameter to 100mm change anything?

This is my current setup, the front wheels are very soft and 55mm wide 83mm diameter 78a Alien Power System wheels, dyed in black (original color orange). The hub motor wheels are non-slip quite hard urethane 60mm wide. So the difference btw front and back is 0mm in diameter and only 5mm in width.

2 Likes

So what’s the problem again?

Here in comparison to an 83mm trampa stickies wheel, to me the difference is quite noticeable, not only visually but also in terms of riding comfort.

1 Like

I want wheels in the front that are as wide as the wheels in the back, or at least close. @ralphy could you post a picture of your setup with both front and back wheels visible?

You are kidding me right? The difference you feel is due to quality differences in the urethane not contact patch. Also mounted on the board that difference is hard to see. Your Alien Wheels are also clones - so you just have to find the right 97mm clones with the width you want. There is no such thing as a regular clone - all the wheels that are not Abec11s but have the same spoke pattern are clones. Also you would have the same problem with 107mm wheels so I don’t get it.

Well the urethane is softer than that of the 76a trampa stickies, which are the ones in the image. So that helps. But in my opinion, a wider wheel also distributes the weight of the rider better - more urethane on the ground is not a bad thing. So no, I’m not kidding you. I’ve ridden both of these wheels and there is a huge difference btw them.

Yes I might have the same problem with the 107mm ABEC’s, but maybe not. Trying to find out. Also, if you know of 97mm wheels that are wider than the Abec’s or clones, that would solve my problem. I just couldn’t find any.

A workaround could also be to use Paris 195mm trucks for the front, to make up for the loss in width. The hub motors increase the width of the custom 180mm trucks considerably.

We can do bigger diameters in a couple weeks if we can get at least 5 people interested.

1 Like

How is that new harder non slip urethane ? I tried it out when they were developing it and it was noisy. It sounded like there was play between the nubs and the motor especially at high speeds. I had told them to reduce internal diameter but they didn’t listen.

The ride over rough asphalt was also unbearable it would numb my feet.

Awesome, thanks for the measurements. So they are pretty close, looks good enough to me. What about the total width mounted on the trucks?