eBoosted Enclosures thread

The BMS has it’s own reserved space on the top compartment not over the battery, this will take quite some space.

Like this: wyF2PHY

Can you ask Kevin to modify the position of the BMS?

Did Kevin installed the battery in an offset array?

2 Likes

Hi Alan, I believe the problem actually lies with the curvature of the deck, the battery rocks from side to side on the apex of the curve. Like I say, if the enclosure was roughly 10mm deeper, with the same curvature that you’ve managed to mould into it, it would be perfect :slight_smile:

I have the same deck with the BMS on the top compatment and it sits pretty much perfect after installing the bolts, what BMS are you runing?

1 Like

I’m just double checking with Kevin, I’ve given him the link to this discussion area of the thread, so he may reply :slight_smile: Hopefully this can be resolved.

@Eboosted @mrjonnyjones

The BMS isn’t a problem here, it’s pretty much the same depth, of the cells. If you wanted to @mrjonnyjones you could cut that black tape and move the BMS wherever you like. Just thought it would be better than hanging loose.

Food for thought… VT6 cells are a fraction bigger than 30q cells…

2 Likes

@darkkevind @mrjonnyjones please confirm the height of the BMS this is very important

It’s a no-name BMS from China, Kevin has used them for ages and are apparently very reliable.

35mm tall, ~60mm long.

1 Like

OK dude, thanks for confirming I can re-position :slight_smile:

That fraction can add up and contribute to the oversize,

@mrjonnyjones, is the BMS to big to fit in the dedicated BMS space?

1 Like

No, it’ll have plenty of space around it :slight_smile:

Alan the BMS isn’t on top of the cells you realise? It’s at the end…

Then I advise relocating the BMS to get that space back. Also , you should put neoprene besides and below the enclosure to ensure that the components are moving around so much and to form an absolute gap between the enclosure and deck

edit:

Alan the BMS isn’t on top of the cells you realise? It’s at the end…

Ah in that case the problem is most likely the slightly bigger cell sizes adding up . While you might lose some clearance (nothing smallrisers wont fix) neoprene is the way to go

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

@Eboosted Alan, can you confirm that the enclosure has been made with 30Q 10S4P batteries in mind? I’ve tried the BMS re-location and it has made zero difference with the front of the battery ‘rocking’ on the apex of the deck - I still have a gap between the board and the enclosure. The only other options are to use a gasket (which will look visibly poor in my mind) or change my plan and use a different battery - as I love the look of your enclosure design. Thanks!

did you see the comment where Kevin said the vtc6 cells are bigger then 30q cells?

that may be the issue… just use a sort of gasket

3 Likes

I did indeed see Kevin’s comment, thank you. I would quiet honestly prefer not to use a gasket, because as far as I was aware when buying the enclosures, the enclosure was for a ‘10S4P’ battery - with no mention of 30Q cells only. So I’d prefer to try and work with @Eboosted to get it looking as stock as possible without a gasket, as I love the look of Alan’s enclosures as they are in the photos on his website :slight_smile:

true it is a 18650 based battery, weird that vtc6 cells are slightly bigger then 30q… i think if @Eboosted was aware of this he would specify meant that it’s only meant for normally sized 18650 cells.

1 Like

however a quick looking online… i don’t see anyone saying vtc6 are slightly bigger then 30q…

maybe @darkkevind can post a picture of size comparison between both cells.

Approximate dimensions that I found on IMR Batteries

Sony VTC6: 18.5mm x 65.2mm Samsung 30Q: 18.33mm x 64.85mm

So they are slightly larger, but really not by much. Multiplied, though, it could have a snowball effect and create a slightly larger battery overall compared to using 30Q cells. This is what I’m a little annoyed about, but I’m sure there’s a way around it… even if Alan can create a new enclosure that I’d happily pay for… however I could be being naive with regards to tooling etc.

With regards to Alan not knowing Sony cells wouldn’t fit, for sure there would be something written on the website… I guess this is a learning curve for us all :rofl:

@never4getf150forums @mrjonnyjones

Yes, all 18650 cells have a variation in size from one brand to another. I thought it was more than this but having measured the two is seems the 30q are only 0.5mm smaller than the VT6, so I imagine is not the issue here…

What’s weird is that there is so much gap in this instance, even more gap if you line the enclosure with 1-1.5mm of sound and vibration deadening neoprene.

I’ve pointed @mrjonnyjones in the direction of some 6-8mm rubber strips that can be used to make a gasket in this instance.

But for future reference @Eboosted, personally I’d make the enclosure at least 5mm deeper to allow the user to use neoprene on the deck side, as well as the inside of the enclosure.

1 Like