Dual Drive vs Diagonal Drive

maybe its a snowboarder thing…

1 Like

I don’t want to start a conversation about cars too so I’ll keep it short but rwd tends to oversteer when accelerating when turning, fwd instead understeers. That’s why it’s more secure. There’s less possibility of losing control while turning and accidentaly do a 180 or a 360 and thus is the good standard for most of the drivers that don’t care about physics and weight transfer and traction but just want to drive ^^

and yet you still did.

there is a whole bucket of worms there and its not just FWD vs RWD

sorry :slight_smile:

maybe we should open a topic on “other” category like “differences between fwd / rwd / diagonal drive on car vs skates” ^^

After riding dual diagonal for a while i think i prefer heel rear. The reason for this is, while i do brace on my toe side while riding uphill, my weight is shifted backwards providing traction for my rear wheel. My toe-side bracing helps give traction to my front wheel, making up for the lower weight.

The real question is, do you ever lose traction in either scenario? The only time I ever lose traction is if I am at very low speed attempting to turn around and I end up lifting a wheel.

the roads around me can be a bit bumpy so sometimes my wheel slips. But i normally lose traction in the same scenario as you, I’m really excited about getting extra wide long axle calibers.

Happens on dirt roads to me

got a link to those? how long / wide?

They’re not out yet. Will be 200mm with extra long axles. You’ll probably see it when it releases :slight_smile: I was told in a couple months.

1 Like

Do you think 200mm is enough for DR with15mm belts ?

I’ve seen 5065’s fit on a 180mm truck with space to spare. I think it should fit on 200mm, but not sure about 15mm belts. I’d be using 12mm’s

Question for you because I see you everywhere on this forum and you know your shit. So I’m thinking of getting an ollinboards dual motor kit. It’s a diagonal drive so does that mean I’ll have to get two vesc’ sand a battery with xt connections on both sides? I’m looking at the space cell pro 4 10s4p and it looks like it only has them on one side.

you’ll need a parallel xt cable which you can make yourself or buy on ebay or some other hobby site. I use 2 XT-60 female paralled to 1 XT-60 male. Battery -> XT-60 -> dual Vescs.

You may also want to get extension phase wires for your front motor.

Just wanted to share my experience with dual diagnal as I found this thread while investigating the issue. I built an overpowered mini cruiser with dual diagnal carvon motors. The board definitely has issues pulliing to one side while accelerating and braking. Quick transitions from acceleration to braking puts you in to a speed wobble. Tightening the trucks helped some but it’s still the most frightening and unpredictable board I’ve made this far. I’m going to move the set up to a longer board to see if it helps and report back.

Thanks

3 Likes

200volts heals all

1 Like

Did you ever try this on a longer board? I’m in the middle of building a board. I originally bought a drop down deck thinking it would be great for stability, without thinking about the motor being in the way of the drop down part of the board. Then I found some people reverse mounting, after I bought a different deck… The motors I got wont fit side by side unless I get the torque boards 218mm trucks, and even then I’m not sure they will fit. So I was playing around with the idea of using the non drop down deck, and mounting one motor towards the center, and another reverse mount, both on the rear wheels, then I thought about running them double diagonal. I searched to see if anyone had done it and found this thread. There has been a lot of discussion back and forth, and I’m thinking of just going with the double diagonal. But then you are the only one who actually said it didn’t perform good who had actually tried one. Was wondering if board length made a big difference.

RIP bigboytoys. the man is legend

7 Likes

whoa…just started on this forum a couple weeks ago…thats crazy!

and still somewhat a mystery. little info about the details were given on here. helmet? car? it concerns me cause I like to think as long as I wear my helmet and dont get hit ill be fine.