Dual Drive vs Diagonal Drive

yeah, makes sense… I just wonder how braking on the diagonal setup feels…

I’m pretty sure it is not as stable feeling as dual rear/dual front.

The best setup I think would be FWD Dual Motors and actual brakes in the rear. Discs or something.

That would be a trick, mini wireless hydraulic brakes!

Or a pedal in the back like with the brake board. The brake board is way too heavy… and ugly though.

Anyone mount a 6372 forward on one side, and backwards on the other on the same truck?

Feels the same, I have both types of boards. I actually prefer dual diag more due to the more even weight distribution of the board. Easier to carry around and makes it seem lighter than it actually is.

Theoretically, it should feel no different given you never lose traction, which doesn’t happen for me.

One additional benefit is that you can more motor traction from braking AND accelerating. With dual rear, you lose a bit of traction braking since your weight shifts forward. Not that it’s a problem for most people. The only time I can see it potentially being a problem is if you’re very light or a child and you brake hard.

2 Likes

if there were a setup to make the most uneven feeling under acceleration and breaking same side would be it.

having said this… same side is one setup that not even I have tried.

although I’m gonna take a stab on this one and say that dual diag would have superior acceleration and braking balance than a same side setup…

however I now intend to setup the hack board with a same side drive for science.

2 Likes

If you’re on dual diagonal you’ll have a motor on both your heel and toe sides any way you mount it…

1 Like

pretty sure this should be the opposite. drive on rear, brakes on front… the way cars have been doing it for ages.

@CSN I thought it was common knowledge that heel side rear motor was best practice

heel side rear and toe side front, is generally regarded as best practice. because of the way that your body naturally pivots about the hips a heelside turn tends to put more weight on the back and a toeside turn tends to put more weight over the front.

Right, that’s how I have mine setup. Just saying both heel and toe will be getting love no matter how you do it :slight_smile:

There are plenty of front wheel driven cars. Also most economy card have larger calibers on the front of I’m not mistaken.

and before anyone points out that cars have breaks on all 4 wheels. I know this… obviously… but the brakes are biased toward the front, and the front brakes are usually a lot more powerful than the back

I don’t want to start a conversation about cars… but cars are built FWD because its cheaper. not because it handles better.

Lots of front wheel drive cars because it’s cheaper without having to route that engine power to the rear wheels. You probably won’t find a performance car with FWD though.

@lowGuido This makes sense. Weight shifts to the rear leading to better traction on RWD. Weight shifts to front when braking for better traction.

1 Like

yeah I know right? its physics.

Oh okay. That makes sense now that I think about it.

I don’t understand why your diagonal drives are working good? I had a really hard time with it and imo dual rear is much better. I will try it one day with both motors on the same side. I can imagine that torque steering is less of an issue then.

are you goofy or regular? make sure the rear motor is on your heel side. not sure why yours is giving you problems. Even if your front wheel doesn’t have traction you shouldn’t be turning one way from your rear wheel since it’s pretty much a single wheel drive at that point.

@lowGuido I prefer having my motor toeside rear, I typically weight the ball of my foot so I lose traction if the motor is heelside. I still don’t understand the logic of going heelside, it is a well known fact that we weight the balls of our feet when engaging in almost any aggressive sport. If you are weighting your heels then you have almost no balance.

3 Likes