DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Haha funny, I’m getting exactly the same results as at esk8.it, seems equal.

@benjammin did you set 200mm as wheel diameter in your app? If yes this would be the reason why it shows higher speeds, none of my wheels are 200mm, rather 190mm.

1 Like

If you get a loud metallic knock on landing jumps its always worth checking the kingpin bushes in your trucks, they could’ve worn through?..

No, I didn’t notice an option for wheel diameter in the app. I’ll have to look and see.

You do mean the speed app, not the calculator right?

It is not a metallic knock that’s why I don’t think it’s the truck, drivetain or the motors. I guess I have to record the noise next time but there were too much people today and maybe it’s not the best idea to jump with a selfie stick in the front hand, but I have to for science :laughing:

My bushings are still fine, replaced them a couple days ago, but they will crack again, getting some metal bushings from @Nowind soon :blush:

Yes, do you use an esk8 app or a gps speed app?

1 Like

It’s just a freebie gps app on my phone (no option for wheel diameter). Tried it in my car though and it seems to be pretty accurate.

Ah ok then forget what I said. Maybe your motors have a higher efficiency than 85% :grin: or you measure when going dowhill only :wink:.

2 Likes

DUUUUUUDE!! Loving the new camera work! The first two angles - front and back worked best but the mix is what really kicks ass. You’re riding looks pro now too!!! Really love that’s there’s a few more people getting out there and recording now. I feel like we’re really exploring the possibilities of this sport and crafting its future.

Ref heelstraps @benjammin has a similar background to me and I prefer to be locked in. I actually feel more at risk if my feet or just 1 foot can come out. Like you guys though I still have falls from them - you just get better at jumping slightly and correcting to avoid tipping on to yo ass!!

One thing I did notice tho is that you wear your heelstraps really low on your boots. I wear mine up above my heel on my achilles and feel more connected to the board that way. When they’re actually on your heel I feel like they’re tripping me up if that makes sense? Give it a go, sometimes a slight adjustment can make all the difference. As well you might find that your foot angle also changes when you have your heelstraps in so possibly changing the angle of your toe straps to compensate (choosing a different bolt setting) will change the feel of the ride too. Just my thoughts :grin:

Loving your work though dude!!

Are they the 150kv sealed UNIK motors btw?? My SK3s are shite and I gotta ride sensored man!! Would you recommend them? They certainly ride smoothly in your board!!

2 Likes

The dirty little secret to keep balance with heel straps is: jumping!

Because if you are too slow to keep balance by steering you automatically try to keep balance by further tilting the board. If your center of gravity is more off than the width of your wheelbase you sit on your ass.

So, if you are slow and loose balance, just jump up and place the board under your center of gravity again and you are fine. It’s not easy to tell your brain to jump if you are about to fall, but it works…

The higher you keep your heel straps while riding the more force you can apply to the board on heelside turns. That enables you to setup your trucks stiffer and keeps you safer from speed wobbles.

8 Likes

Thanks for your kind words :blush:

You’re right it’s probably the mix of different angles otherwise it gets boring. I have to shoot more footage and edit later but I’m afraid this has no end. But then I have to remember a sentence which a teacher at film academy told a friend of mine: “You never finish editing, you just stop it”, how true.

This is also my biggest fear why I want to use them, also I like the fact that I can do 180s on standstill, I can’t do it without heel straps. Almost every crash ends with one foot or both outside the bindings. Fortunately I never crashed at high speed but I know this will happen one day.

I think I have to grease my ratchets, all 4 ratchets are so hard to open, they always get stuck. It’s not as easy to open as a snowboard binding, it took me about 2 minutes to open one heel strap, that’s really annoying.

But normally I never touch my bindings because they are in perfect position (at least without heel straps :laughing:). In the beginning my bindings were too loose that’s why I cranked them down until I got numb feet. This video helped me a lot finding the proper binding position:

For now this is the actual position of my heel straps, got the hint from @Der6FingerJo

As you say it that totally makes sense, didn’t think about it :grin: Also a slight adjustment of the binding could do the trick. My main problem are my loose skater shoes, need some proper ones, maybe with ankle support. If I would position the straps at my achilles now they would touch my socks only :joy:.

I like your thoughts :wink:

Wow, thanks for sharing your dirty little secret :sunglasses: That makes me hope again, I would never ever think of jumping against falling. Definitely gonna try that, unfortunately I’m at work but I guess tomorrow I’ll test it. @DanSkates I just realized you mentioned the jumping, too but @Duffman explained it so well that even people like me can understand it :joy:

The whole gravity thing reminds me of proper steering, when I don’t think about it I don’t steer with my hip, only by lean, also I have to bend my knees more on tight turns to get better balance.

This is an interesting article about steering a mountainboard:

http://www.mountainboarding.uk.com/learning-the-basics-of-mountainboarding/steering/

Yes, these are sealed Maytech motors. Unik sells them with 150kv, Overion with 130kv and there are 190kv versions out there, too. Maytech sells them with 170kv. They are powerful and have temperature sensor. The only thing they have a quite high cogging torque (resistance when spinning) which results in funny noises from the gears when you push it very slow. The APS or Trampa motors have way less resistance when spinning, but that’s just theory. In pratice these Unik motors are the most powerful motors I’ve ever had :sunglasses: but I have no direct comparison to another 6374 motor, only 6355 and 6364.

unsensored? :weary: Do you run them in FOC? What about cogging, jittering?

1 Like

Love your detailed replies man - and love that you take advice on board so well. At the end of the day we’re all on this wild journey together and it’s so good we have a place like this to share information.

Yeah this makes a HUGE difference to the feel you get from the bindings. I rode in skate shoes but as soon as I got heel straps had to move to booties! I can recommend the Vans Sk8 Hi Pro as they’re lightweight but have the right level of padding and support. I’ve seen a few other guys riding in Supra Muska’s - they look pretty good too. Or you could do a @Nowind and buy a pair of Burton motos! @Duffman - what footwear you rocking btw?

One last thing on bindings. I LOVE my Trampa, but HATED the toe straps. The heelstraps are great, but the toes straps sucked for me. If you wanna explore the option I cannot recommend these comfy beauties highly enough:

https://www.munroboards.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/mbs-f5-bindings-ratchets-i.jpg

MBS F5. They do heels to match but I found the combo of these on your toes and the trampa heels works really nicely. Think a lot of the other guys are rocking these too.

YEAH. I really gotta sort this out - It’s a bit miserable I have to say! So I’m running them in FOC which gives me smooth start up if I’m on a straight or slight downslope, but give me any sort of gradient and I’m hoping around like the easter bunny trying to get going again!!! :rofl::sweat_smile::sob: It’s tragic really. I’m on the hunt for the perfect motors currently so will have a look into your other suggestions too.

1 Like

Hey just watched this - really interesting comments on having loose bindings and pointing your toes in. Wouldn’t have thought you could jump the board with the straps undone!! Though…I’d like to see him do that with with an extra 10lbs batteries and motors on the board! :wink:

1 Like

Cool rabbit, heres mine! 29513469_1518914438235929_1216827407_o|281x500

Rabbits are the best

1 Like

I love sharing knowledge, it helps everyone to improve… Thanks, I’ll buy some new shoes soon.

Well, probably the best ankle support ever :joy:

They really look convenient compared to Trampa’s “instep” straps (wouldn’t call them toe straps). I think I can’t resist, started to search for availability in europe :rofl:, nice hint!

Haha, unfortunately I know what you mean, I really enjoy having 100% cogging free motors in FOC. It’s so nice to roll backward on a hill and just accelerate again whenever you want, I feel unstoppable :sunglasses:

Hehe, unfortunately I see no pic…

2 Likes

If I got you right, you keep your bindings locked in position and open your heel straps to get on and off your board. I do it the opposite way: I set my heelstraps to my desired position once and open my bindings to step on the board.

I’m also running mbs f5 bindings, which are indeed very comfortable and can be opened in less than a second. Combined with the older mbs fx 2 heel straps which have no ratched but just slim and light cam locks this is a decent combination. Somewhen I will also try trampa bindings because I’m looking for some wider -> higher heel straps…

@DanSkates: Seriously, you can’t switch to sensored motors. You need this kind of handicap to stay on the same level as we are… Else you would just fly away! But if you ignore my words and upgrade anyway get yourself a pair of aps6384 sensored motors. This shoud give you perfect startup in any situation and an extra portion punch on high currents due to the lower resistance. The highernthe kv of the motors the more power you can get from them in real life. Calculate your kv based on a top speed that is 15-20kmh higher than the maximum speed that you want to ride. This way you wont feel any impact of voltage sag if your battery gets drained and still have full punch even if you ride at your maximum (desired) speed.

In the winter and in the dirt I ride some random winter boots and rest of the year I ride in sneekers. They give better feeling for the board and if I bail reallly hard they stay on the board and I sit besides it in socks.

2 Likes

Now it makes sense to me why you route your power wires on the heel straps :laughing: Definitely gonna try both ways to see what’s best for me.,thanks for info.

Really enjoying to watch your videos and builds, customization to the fullest :+1:

Ok one more reason to try them…

:joy::rofl::laughing:

I think @Duffman tinkers with the idea to buy some sensored 6384, that’s why @DanSkates must buy some sensored 80mm Motors to win the battle :grin:

@Acido,haha what a sweet rabbit, looks very fluffy :heart_eyes:

The fucker today made a hole in my speaker… Tomorrow shes getting castrated…

1 Like

But that won’t save your second speaker :wink:

Its just the cover, I can fix that It calmed down my second rabbit, hes now low key and just sleeps behind the thrash lol he a male tho Hopefully the result will be the same hormones n shit probably

2 Likes

Maybe this is the first and only thread where you see pics and discussions about rabbits :joy:

1 Like