DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

homeopathic thread locker :joy::rofl::joy:

I dont use O-Rings between the Bearings, i normaly just tight the axle nut until the wheel start to block and going a 1/8 backwards… done

For me it was a similar expierence during my first winter seasion with the Direct Drive… fallen leaves and tons of mud was not longer a kind of a problem…

only exposed wires could be problematic by riding through a bush IMO, @notger mad some bad expierences

Thanks for info, I have to hail the DD again because when I wanted to add thread locker I realized there were 3 bolts missing, only 2 left! What a crazy bulletproof drivetrain where you don’t even feel something is missing before the last bolt is gone :laughing:! I guess this is because of the wheel support bearing :grin:

Have to buy some stainless steel bolts and looking forward to ride again on weekend.

Haha, I’ve read that, too. If it’s not a massive branch my wires should hold, the stress-relief due to the cable feed-through is perfect, only had to remove the wire mesh. BTW I’m not a bush rider, it happend for accident but I like the fact that I can do it.

WIll test without O-Rings and Spacers next time. I’m also thinking about buying 18,2mm spacers and file them down to 17,8mm to make them fit without O-Rings, I like spacer (when they fit).

Sorry, one more question :wink: How do your metal bushings hold so far? I’m scared of the plastic ones, even when installing the hanger I scratched and almost ruined the new ones, they won’t remain long.

Hehe Yap in the end 3 screws are still one more then you really need … used one of mine weeks this way just for hardcore testing the parts… the complete drive is bulletproof… i destroyed one housing and two customer a gear / one with too much play one too less after motor comes loose … some people pulled out helicoils thats why i warning from too much Loctide… nothing else i know from … by over 50units not Bad and you can be sure i dont play with my stuff i work :sunglasses: its oversized in a good way…

Dont get me wrong i use spacers… just no o-rings

You can have some bushings… free for testing… i saw your measuring with 2mm flange thickness… schoud fit in

Let me know what screws you need and i send with the bushings…

Cheers

1 Like

:heart_eyes::hugs: Wow, that’s awesome Jenso! PM you later, have to work soon…

I forgot you must have correct spacers from the past. Trampa doesn’t sell 17.8mm spacer (for Superstars) anymore, only 16.5mm with O-Ring (or 18.2mm for hypa). I have 17.8mm spacers for urban carver but not for 12mm axle.

Damnit Jens you are tempting me, my 3d printed mounts begin come loose even with 4 set screws and enough loctite. If i don’t get it working reliably until Hassloch i might get a Etoxx DD too :smiley:

3 Likes

colleague of mine has a kick ass 3d printer…tried to print the drive for me, but ended up having a thermal runaway. This is a universal sign…I bought a direct drive. It will be loud, it will be reliable, it will be good, it will hopefully hold up to my abuse.

No more fucking around with semi-serious attempts. Life’s on the line after all.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. But right now i already got so far and have still a few ideas left, so i definitely want to do this right. I never had a total failure until no, just some parts that got wobbly or began to show signs of cracks etc.

My last 100% Infill PETG Motor mount, printed with a higher temperature and less air cooling looks very promisung. A lot better Layer Bonding and no problems for ~40km now, can’t wait to get back on my board to test it a bit more.

The original gear i printed also shows no signs of wear, just the other gear that had problems while printing.

1 Like

Your drive is a whole lote safer than mine. In the case of a planetary gear approach, the motor spur wheel has a relatively large space to move around and wobble without blocking the entire drive train, thus causing the driver to crash. With a regular direct drive, there is less space within the enclose. I’m sure your drive will work out.

3 Likes

I’m really impressed that you do tests like this :smiley:

I was riding with 2 loose almost lost screws instead of 5, didn’t recognize it.

1 Like

just found this thread! I don’t have pics but I built something similar with jens direct drive, except with 80mm 6kw 170kv motors and 12s 16000mah pack and vesc6.

your board looks dope!I have also been mountain riding in the snow and stuff… oh it’s so much fun! exept… my wife is in surgery after a broken arm after falling off her electric longboard… wear gear! and make your wife wear more!! I’ll attach and old pic with roxxys and a test 12s pack (8000mah)!

10 Likes

Thanks @lazerusrm! First pic looks great! Must be powerful with these massive motors :grin: :drooling_face: Second pic, well :sleepy:, wish your wife fast recovery!

This is my “budget” gear for MTB, cost about 100€ all together (except the rabbit), but need some upgrades.

I’ve mounted my heelstraps again so I’ll need asspadding :laughing: And something for the shoulders and breast. My spine should be protected from my backpack, it is soft plus I want to add a sheet of ABS or wood inside for more protection. I still feel like a jedi fighter. Kevlar shirt and trousers would be perfect but all this stuff is so expensive.

But it is very important to wear the gear, when I look at all the scratches on my gear I know these could be scars! Once (with a different helmet) I was landkiting on concrete and I fell backwards, with full energy I hit the ground with the head, didn’t know it can happen that fast. I just stood up and sayed such sentence like the guy from the YouTube video “I love helmets” :joy:

6 Likes

:heart_eyes: I knew something was missing from my esk8 experience! I need a bunny too :smile:

5 Likes

:joy: The rabbit is very soft but no perfect protection because it would move all the time. Safety gear should stay always at the same place during riding

2 Likes

watch your gear, mine loves to chew on stuff

2 Likes

Haha… I know! Mine would eat the whole gear within a few days :laughing: Gnawers are evil and conscience-proof! My rabbit has no cage (only a litter box) that’s why almost every single day my flat is getting bigger by loosing some material.

mine 2 free roam of house, has a little box its pretty dope setup

1 Like

Hi, I saw some pictures of your earlier builds… Are those Urban Carver motor mounts from Trampa that you where using on the Trampa MTB?

i’ve always wanted a bunny

Yes @routevoom they are, I like them more than the half-closed pro mounts……

You need 2 otherwise they are lonely, unfortunately the bunny wife of my rabbit died some months ago :sleepy:

Discovered some interesting telemetry data from my 20.8km ride today.

Jesus, my top speed on concrete was 49 km/h, that’s my personal record. This is calculated with 190mm wheel diameter (not 200mm like the tyre manufacture claims). @Ackmaniac, any idea why the GPS speed is not working? GPS on the mobile was enabled and also “save GPS position” in the app. Is there something I forgot?

Interesting that I was faster than the unweighted calculated top speed, maybe it was a small decline.

Also the vescs got some fever, 37.8 degrees :laughing: (outside temperature was 9)

I took my new action cam for a park ride, this is the unedited footage. I can’t decide what’s the best cam position for “one take” rides.

What do you guys prefer? I use 3 different cam positions in this video, first from the front, then from the back and then close to the ground with the front wheels only. Or better some footage from the side? Hard to decide, need some help.

Does someone has a hint for me how to deal with heel straps properly? @benjammin? I still don’t like them. Today I lost my balance in front of 20 kids and fell down like an idiot, it was so embarrassing. It mostly happens at tight turns at slow speed like at 06:30 in the video above. I enjoyed the rest of my ride without heel straps.

I did some jumping on the bmx-track and recognized a very loud and strange impact noise while landing, I guess it has something to do with my pelicase but I have to check it, didn’t like it at all.

Also the feeling in the air differs very much to my previous version, the balance is different, almost crashed several times :laughing:

4 Likes

Nice video :+1:

Yeah idk about the heel straps, just kinda whatever you feel comfortable with. I’m used to being locked into my board from snow and wakeboarding. I’ve taken a few falls at lows speeds like that too though. Once awhile back at a red light. Bunch of cars. Sure everyone was laughing their asses off :sweat_smile:

I’ve also noticed my top speed is always higher, according to my app, than what’s shown on the calculator. I’ve had to plug in an efficiency of 110% to get it to match up. I’ve been using the other calculator though: http://toddy616.blogspot.com/2013/07/electric-skateboard-calculator.html?m=1

1 Like