DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Big fat thorn. Some more fun pics. This is how far you can run them down. Probably still has a few rides left in it. This is 3500 km.

VS this T3. Already a flat and it always happens when the center tiny indented ridge is almost gone. This is 300 km.

2 Likes

Dam … that goes fast … esk8 with air tire will coast almost as petrol commute this way :smile: We need a real brand sharing his formula on this little size tire ! (Hope one of them is reading this !)

1 Like

I laugh at those Porsche (Cayenne) drivers around here. They’ve got it easy.

MTB for daily commuting is in fact more expensive than a car for me…but it’s also allot more fun and cars make me fat. Previously it was belts and pulleys and tires. With the Jens drive that has been reduced to just tires and the occasional gear change (estimate once every 1.5 years). Ah, yes…and lipo packs are done after one year.

2 Likes

I am back from my journey and wow the helicals are great and I hear things that I’ve never heard before, like how the tires sound when rolling on different terrains or my front bushings :smile:

Haha glad you like the ass so I’m sure you like the dirty ass too

I had a lot of fun for 10km until I sliced a tire and got a flat in the middle of nowhere. It took a while to get home, thought with tire sealant it’s flat proof

I have to ride more to judge about the motors but I think they are good. I realized that I need more throttle to get the same punch as before but they are still powerful. Need to ride on places which I know better and also uphill. The app said I’ve used 150A motor max :grin:

Here raw footage of my ride which ends with wipe outs and the flat. I started to give a lot of throttle (short impulses) in tight curves for short drifting but you don’t hear it so you may think why is this dude falling.

Silent madness

8 Likes

Yes like i also noticed. They do feel more linear , and not so punchy from stand still , like other motors may do. But i do think, in the end, that they perform greate. They have a good wh/km(or miles) i think it’s because they have curved magnets.

With all those rocks you have on the road, i can understand why you have a flat tire :blush:

1 Like

What do you mean with streaks?

Damn, better not try to use these again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yeah good description

Haha true but this is the first flat since I use tire sealant which normally prevents flats (and works like a charm).

I love the self locking threaded inserts on the helicals so I can go for a night ride after changing the tube. I’ve inspected the tire but I can’t find any damage so I try it with a new tube and spare wheel in backpack.

Haha this drive guard looked different when it was originally mounted :thinking:

2 Likes

:star_struck: insaaaaane !!! And wow, what a ride, this is a hard dust shredding !! With a lot of fun … but maybe not at the end ^^

Sorry bad google translate apparently ^^ a picture is worth a thousand words :blush: :

2 Likes

Ah no the word streak makes sense :laughing:

I just put foil there without any modifications. I guess the gooves (sorry the streaks) are made for cooling. I have to watch the motor temperature, maybe I have to remove the foil in summer.

2 Likes

Awesome to see you back on the board man. Again, your documentation of what you are doing at each stage, with pics, is an absolute asset to this forum and members, like me really appreciate the time and effort that you put into your posts. I can’t believe just how quiet the board is now with the helical gears. One day, when I have enough ‘spare’ money, I will upgrade, but for now I’ll stick with the standard gears on my drives.

4 Likes

Thanks for your kind words mate , that means a lot for me :blush:

I like sharing knowledge, also I’ve learnt many things from members like you e.g. that riding barefoot is an option :wink:

yeah I like both gears, the only difference is the sound. With the straight cut gears it sounds like a machine which is also nice. With helicals it’s still a machine but doesn’t sound like one, more like an e-bike :laughing:

I live in the city and going for a night ride now without disturbing the neighbours. Changed the tube and also prepared a spare wheel. The bearings I have to put seperately because the fall of when moving the wheel. Mounted a bicycle rear light to the bull bar

3 Likes

This night ride was a lot of fun but maybe I should rather sleep at night because I trampinated my front hanger :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I didn’t see the snag in the grass and shaved the hanger a bit, also hit it with the rear hanger but no damage there. But it shouldn’t be a problem, it’s more aesthetic.

5 Likes

Woah - what sort of snag did you hit? Looks like a solid rock to do that sort of damage.

1 Like

Let’s see what Jens will come up with. Tpu truck sleeve.

Stranded. Waiting for taxi aka wife. Get a keyway if you can people. IMG_20181014_152311

3 Likes

Evil austrian wood :laughing:

:rofl:

Damn when I stranded yesterday I had neither a taxi aka wife nor a real taxi. Also nobody wants to carry a dusty board and guy.

Do you use blue Loctite only on grub screw? I don’t like keyways anymore, lack of precision everytime

Only loctite 601, no key no grub. Degreased everything with a variety of different products, roughed up the motor axis + gear on the inside and stuck it all together again with 601. The other side was treated in a similar way after it broke loose and has held up. The gear that broke loose today was not degreased/not roughed up when I first installed it. Lesson learned.

1 Like

That’s the best combo I tried so far, Loctite and keyway, easy to remove and no rattling

I had my third ride today and felt like a ghost. It’s so quiet that nobody turn around and even dogs don’t bark at me. I am thinking about to carry a bicycle bell to get some attention :laughing: or a bluetooth speaker.

I love this gears :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and also with the new motors it feels like a new board. Also had a session at BMX course today and did some jumps, everything survived.

@Nowind I didn’t know the bull bars are so versatile. I wanted to protect the motors when crashing in something backward again (hopefully not). Yesterday I made a too big step and the bull bar saved the motor from my foot. Today I used the vacuum cleaner and heard a loud impact, the bull bars are great!

Roughed up? I didn’t, only degreased everything, hope it holds :pray:

All the motors I had/have (except 1) had a too wide keyway on the shaft (or on the pulley) so the key rattles and if the grub screw is on the opposite side on the rounded shaft it lasts not long. I added kapton tape to get a tight fit which worked but not forever. If key and keyways are one unity it’s perfect. I thought about to glue the key to the keyway of the shaft but ended up with Loctite 638 only.

2 Likes

Nice save from the vacuum, the damage would be catastrophic!

About the key, I have a hard time trusting just the loctite, even more when it gets to decide if I can brake or not

1 Like

Time for some updates, good and bad news.

Meanwhile I was jumping in dirt park and on bmx course and riding different terrains and hills. The motors don’t get hot and I got used to them. Also did hill climbing tests where I climbed insane 21-25°. But starting from standstill is not possible, only wheelspin. On this incline the motor max was only 90A and batt max. 45A.

Now the bad news, one motor sounds bad after about 80-100km only! Unfortunately I know this sound and also know that I have 2-5 rides left until it’s useless. What a shame! I ordered the motors from Hobbyking in Hong Kong and also cut the shafts so I don’t know if there is any warranty. Need to contact them.

Tomorrow I go for a ride and check the sound afterwards, now it sounds like that:

4 Likes

Do you know what’s broken? If it’s bearing you can just put high quality ones, I did that in every motor I’ve owned so far since even the ones that are supposed to be genuine NSK/SKF/Nachi goes bad way too soon

And the noise was very similar to that

1 Like