DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Interesting, for me it sounds like something is rubbing on the can or stator. When I had this problem with a different motor it sounded like that and after a couple of rides 10 times louder plus resistance.

But the real esk8 nightmare I have with my other build, much worse. Both builds have motor problems right now, it’s so disappointing :disappointed_relieved:.

1 Like

Best thing is to open them up and take a look, spin each bearing with fingers or inserting a screw drive to take the place of the shaft

Could also be loose magnets

1 Like

I’m afraid I have to open it but the motivation is not too big because I glued the gears :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Had a ride today without problems but didn’t check if the noise changed afterwards.

2 Likes

Hmm, is this what destroyed your bushings? My old hanger was straight. The new one does not fit at a 90 degree angle with the baseplate/bushings.

PS. This is an entirely new truck, no mixed old & new parts.

IMG_20181103_194417

1 Like

:thinking: that makes me to check my trucks too when i‘m back home… looks not how it should be. Did you already ask frank about it?

Sent Ted a message.

The holes in the hanger are drilled at different heights, enough to even decrease the angle of hanger compared to the deck or baseplate.

1 Like

No it was the hole of the hanger, not the angle. With the new hanger which looks similar to yours I ride since 140km without problems. The angle is not 90° on the hanger but the hole for bushing and kingpin is straight and in line with the other hole. That’s why the baseplate of your bushing looks crooked.

That’s mine:

for safety filled with sugru, don’t know if it makes a difference

But my hanger was too much bent, that’s why I need to use the biggest 3mm bushings plus a 1mm metal washer to fill the gap. Trampa has no 4mm bushings :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Meanwhile I’m an expert in bushings, they have manufacturing tolerances. Best are 3mm bushings and 2.5mm. 2mm are OK but 1.5mm bushings are my enemies. They are too big outside and inside (diameter) therefore the kingpin has play and rattles inside the bushing.

Like my hanger :joy: Is it a machined hanger or original? Because I didn’t get replacement because of modifications. But good luck!

Meanwhile I had some rides and the motor sounds worse, I can hear it while riding now. I am trying to claim it but have no big hope because of the modifications.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s different. If the holes are drilled in one go (thus at least the hanger bushings are always in line with the kingpin), the misalignment is going to be less of an issue. I have a benchmark though. My old bushings are still perfect after roughly 2000 km. It would suck incredibly badly if I end up changing them every odd sub 500 km mark.

These are original/unaltered & never installed, straight out of the box that said ‘‘battery tray.’’ Replacement for the trampled front truck.

And these motor issues. Just frustrating man. I had high hopes for the SK8, seeing how the SK3 did so incredibly well.

1 Like

unbelievable :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I am happy with 500km

:rofl: And you got a trampled hanger (hopefully paid by Trampler).

I forgot to write about my most weird esk8 experience ever which I recently had. It was getting dark and I kept on riding with a tiny light, not really enough to see anything. I was riding on gravel paths between trees and bushes quite slow. Nobody is walking there in the dark, only bicycles sometimes. However I heard strange music from far away like in a ghost movie. This music was coming closer and closer but there are no houses, only bushes and trees. Kinda scary, then I saw a person on the path. When I passed by I knew what it was, a woman playing a bagpipe in the dark WTF :joy: I had to laugh for a couple of minutes, that was a magic moment, crazy doodling woman.

Maybe her neighbours called the police several times already and now the only way to play the bagpipe is in dark nature. So funny.

3 Likes

That didn’t happen on the night of Halloween did it??

1 Like

Frank replied on Sunday stating that the misaligned should not be cause for concern. The hanger can be replaced if it turns out to be an issue down the road.

Can’t fault their support.

3 Likes

Skate parks are much more fun strapped to a mountainboard! Last time with the Urban Burro I crashed and cracked the deck here at night.

9 Likes

Nice riding and cool vid! Looks like great fun.

1 Like

Wanted to go for a ride but couldn’t switch the remote on so I had to disassemble it

First of all I’ve expected some gold dust inside because it’s so expensive but nothing. Now I know why I have to charge this remote all the time, Look at this tiny 200mAh cell compared to my little finger. It was additionally secured with 2 zip ties but 1 was broke

I saw the problem of this stupid construction, the on/off button gets bend inwards and therefore no contact to the plastic button when pushing.

150349e

I bent it almost back and tested if it’s working and yeeees it did so my plan was to bridge the gap behind against movement. Then I decided to bend it just a little bit more to get 90° like it was before and… ZING, it broke off, damn!

Fortunately the solder pads on the PCB are still fine. With a cable I can switch the remote on and off. So now I have to solder a momentary switch or maybe use this one but not on the PCB. I don’t know why Maytech designed it this way, maybe because they thought they can sell more when they break.

My MBS Vine tires are done, almost no profile left on the rear ones

Front tires look better but a bit sliced

Anyway this are the longest lasting tires so far. 550km (342 miles) without swapping front and rear tires including heavy abuse like sliding or hardcore carving. Really not bad for MTB tires. Maybe they would hold up to 1000km with normal riding.

8 Likes

Once again man, thanks for documenting all the things you are doing. Glad you got the remote working again - what a PITA. Stats on those tyres sound pretty good. I’m still on my Innova Mudplugger tyres, but haven’t ridden anything close to your distances and I’m still getting used to the board so I’m certainly not riding ‘hard’, yet!

In the video you posted above, what setup were you running with the dampers on that board? You look to have a pretty good turning circle. I currently have the yellow dampers (front and rear) and have the adjuster screws flush with the top of the deck, but I my turning circle doesn’t seem to be as tight as your turns. Also, I only have the bindings, but no heel straps. I chose not to get heel straps at the moment so that I could still bail out of the board if things got a little ‘hairy’. I’m actually considering taking the bindings off, but not sure if that’s a good idea or not.

1 Like

The remote is not really working yet but yeah you’re right, at least I can switch it on with a cable :laughing:

So we are using the same tires, mudplugger and vine are equal. As far as I remember you are riding some bush tracks, right? How does your board handle these? I’m curious because when the terrain gets too soft/deep I often get stuck and can’t move on that’s why I avoid very loose dirt. But I’ve never tried riding on sand.

I love it :sunglasses: I don’t use springs but this:

https://www.e-toxx-shop.com/trampa/elastomere-damper/

Please never try to bail out when using bindings. I don’t know if it’s possible to get both feet out at the same time and furthermore instantly in an emergency situation. I think rather not. Then the chance is quite high that you twist a knee.

Heel straps are perfect for jumping but not necessary for riding. But I like the fact that I’m locked to the board and meanwhile I don’t feel safe without.

Riding on streets without bindings works but I wouldn’t do it for all terrain/off road.

1 Like

So far, I’ve had no issues with these tyres. I have ridden in loose gravel, grass, dirt, but not sand. I think they would spin and get stuck in sand, although, if I was going to try riding in sand, I’d do the same as I do with a vehicle and lower the tyre pressures. The other issue with my board is that if you hit the throttle to hard, the wheels will spin and that could be an issue with sand as well.

Thought you might be using those dampers from @Nowind. They seem like a way better option, but my cash-flow is pretty tight right now, so I’m going to have to keep with what I have until funds get batter.

I’ve bailed out a few times, but only at lower speeds. So far so good, but I do understand what you are saying - it’s always in the back of my mind that I could twist and ankle or knee in the process.

Fair point. I guess I should just stick with the bindings and just try to get used to them. Maybe I’ll get a set of heel straps in the near future and take a shot at being locked into the board. My battery is under the deck so it doesn’t lend itself to jumping, etc but I guess the heel straps have other advantages too.

1 Like

Didn’t you also order the AliExpress version of those wheels a while ago? If yes, are you planning to hook them up after this set? I have a set of those Ali wheels and they still look good after round about 200km.

I have the same issue on sand. If sand is too soft I just sink too fast and wheels get stuck. Idk how Baja boards manage that. I mean I have seen a promo video a while ago how they drive on the beach without problems and the wheels they use look very slim too.

@ArnhemAnt i came from no bindings on my street carve to bindings on my holypro and as I didn’t have had so much skating experience before it took me some time to get into it. Now i‘m happy to have bindings as I have more control over the board. You can just turn with more pressure or tose the front around if you need to get around corners. For now I drive without heel straps and I think as long as you don’t plan to do jumps it’s working good. As @rich once said (or it was in a video he linked) press your feeds to the out or inside of the bindings. That should give you a better sit in the bindings too.

2 Likes

Thanks @Andy87 - At this stage, that’s pretty much my thoughts as well. I do not intend to jump with this current setup and the bindings do give me the feeling that I am “attached” to the board. I just have to spend more time riding it so that I get to feel more comfortable with it.

1 Like

If then I recommend MBS heelstraps. Trampa are too small and shift all the time. For example when jumping in dirt park I had to reposition them always after 3 jumps. MBS shift, too but they are bigger that’s why it’s no problem and needs zero repositioning. MBS foot straps are like a cloud especially when riding barefoot :wink:

But again for riding you don’t need heel straps and it’s easier to get on and off the board but I prefer them for falling (with proper protectors). Funny that I had several injuries within 3 weeks riding my Trampa carver without bindings on concrete and almost no injury within the last 15 months riding strapped to the MTB. But I guess it’s more thanks to my full body armor.

That’s from an interesting Youtube video about bindings, so I post it again. After I watched this video I corrected the distance of the brackets of the bindings and it was much better. I don’t like duck stance and pefer to stand 0° or maybe 15° on the front foot. That’s why I have the brackets on the most inside position which lock my feet perfectly. In the beginning the foot straps were too loose.

I have some tires at home including the Aliexpress ones (left side) :laughing:

But I switch to the last 2 Vine tires I have. I ordered 6 because the plan was to replace only the rear ones and they should be worn out at the same time as the front tires. I want to find out for science. Next time I’ll mount the tires from Aliexpress.

Meanwhile I disassembled both rear wheels and found funny stuff in the tires like thorns which punctured the tubes. Both tubes and tires had several wet spots where the tire sealant worked like a king, I love this stuff!

I managed to fix the steez remote with the broken buttons. I don’t need the B button so I soldered silicone 26AWG wires between the PCB and momentary push button and glued it to the enclosure, works like a charm. Maybe I’ll replace the tiny battery with something bigger one day.

2 Likes