DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

Which tires are those?

I bought new premium inner tubes because my old ones are all (multiple) fixed with bicycle repair stuff which is not flexible. The rubber of the new tubes is thicker and the material around the valve is stronger, also the valve is longer which is great for inflating but maybe not best for offroad, let’s see.

Of course filled with the obligatory tire sealant, this tubes won’t need bicycle repair kit because they are flat proof now.

I had my first ride with the MBS Vine tires and are really surprised about their performance, I’m a bit disappointed. On concrete they run very smooth with good grip and normal offroad is also OK if you don’t make (tighter) turns but e.g. on loose gravel they are slippery on turns, I had a lot of almost crashes because they started sliding where the Trampa Treads had good grip like on BMX track, weird.

I guess it’s the kind of the continious middle profile which makes it more an “All Terrain” tire than a real MTB tire. No idea why it’s called massive offroad tire or mudplugger in the descriptions.

I’m curious how the T3 tires are in comparison on loose gravel but I’m afraid there is not much diffference.

2 Likes

The lateral stability is always a problem of the tires with a solid running surface.

IMG_20180624_194500_HDR

I used a hacksaw to add a diamond pattern to the middle running area and I’m quite statisfied with the improved curve stability.

6 Likes

Siiiick dude :sunglasses:, what a crazy DIY lifehack, can’t believe you sliced them, must be weird doing that. Let’s call it DDP (Duffman Diamond Pattern). Do you feel a difference between the bigger and smaller DDP’s?

Did you ever try T3 tires? It looks like they could have better offroad traction when compared to Vine.

1 Like

I’m running t3 in the front and vine in the back. Both of them with DDP.

In my picture above are mbs vine with DDP on the left, trampa mudplugger in the middle and mbs t3 with DDP on the right.

1 Like

Oh my bad, was so focused on the DDP’s and didn’t recognize the T3. I have 2 questions: Why don’t you just use tires with offroad pattern? And second how the hell you manage to slice/saw not too deep? It’s a bit like playing with fire :laughing:.

Are there any ‘real’ offroad tires for 8" hubs? All tires I know have either a flat running surface in the middle or a very flat pattern.

Playing with fire is the right description. Simply don’t cut too deep :wink:

With “real” offroad tires I mean tires without any middle surface, only knobby. For example real mountainbike tires usually have no middle surface and if so it’s a hybrid or cross country tire.

BTW I found out today that mudpluggers get stucked in mud :joy:

6 Likes

Time to upgrade to bigger diameter ones? :sweat_smile::sunglasses:

1 Like

@rich time for an upgrade

4 Likes

Tire gets plugged with mud to form a super efficient smooth surface. If you go fast enough, it will get flung into your face, taking away the fear factor (just floor it, don’t see anything).

https://www.berghspecialproducts.de/reifen-und-zubehoer/rollstuhl-decken-schwarz/L.BU.0802.Z1

Just for offroad! On Street they will be down within minutes

Strange Running 9inch Striker Wheels on Flame Cryptics Hubs for long time, same for varios 8inch Tires on same Hub. Works great. Even with sickest motors and Vesc settings

https://www.rideflame.de/shop/felgen/

10 Likes

I even regrooved THESE with a special DDP pattern to gain more lateral stability: IMG_20180726_183859 IMG_20180726_184157

8 Likes

Good 2 know :sunglasses:

Is the bolt pattern the same as a specific Trampa or MBS hub?

@Duffman that’s sick. Also this monster build is one of the craziest builds ever bro! Common, the motors look like a joke beside this bad ass wheels :rofl:

Today was a funny day including 65km of riding. I woke up at 5 am (which is way too early) and decided to go for a peaceful morning sun ride which was a great idea, have to do that again.

Later I rode on a narrow sidewalk and after a curve suddenly it looked liked that, almost crashed, crazy shit!

In the end it started raining when I was still 10km away from home and I decided to ignore it, after a while the remote started to have strange behaviour, bouncy and hard acceleration and braking, sometimes braking without touching the throttle but I made it home (was a challenge) and it seems to work again as usual.

Conclusion of the day, I definitely need more range because 3 times charging for 65km sucks, I want to explore new paths and areas and not ride in circles all the time, weird first world problems :laughing:

5 Likes

middle one, sadly no…at least not compatible with sstar. http://www.e-toxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/K800_SuperstarCrypticHypa.jpg

2 Likes

thanks @telnoi for the picture @rich yeah unfortunally not compatible i got hubadapters for the Flame Hub but the problem was always the axle length (Supertars are very narrow in the area where i mount the hubadapter compared to others) But i can tell you that maybe in near future there will be a solution for this

Also the “FiveStar” from MBS works with 8 and 9inch (-; But same like above.

Cheers

2 Likes

It’s always like christmas when receiving a parcel from E-Toxx (and the next is on the way) :santa:

The bull bars are for 12V 18W offroad light with 3s1p Li-ion and charge port on the front truck. It’s easy and quick to mount, it’s just 2 bolts so I can carry it in the backpack or attach it at home if necessary.

The new TPU driveguards are magical 144709

and flexy 144745

I’ve mounted them today and had one of the most wicked rides ever at a construction area below the highway. I did try my best to destroy the driveguards with many and massive stones. It is always the most fun when you ride like there is no tomorrow and today there was no tomorrow. In the end I thought I damaged the driveguards and housings for sure because when riding there was not this usual random single hit. No it was: “Pock, pock, kleng, tock, tack, pock, tong, klack” and so on all the time. For sure I had at least 200-300 impacts today.

After cleaning everything I was scared to check how it is looking but then… WTF just some grooves on the driveguards and one small damage but nothing else after this massive attack :laughing:

@Nowind @Duffman these new flexy driveguards take most impacts like a king, well done! :clap: Next test is the curb test.

The other damages from today are some deeper scratches on one motor from a crash but that’s aesthetical only. And I can’t turn off the volmeter and the backlight is dead as well since my ride in the rain yesterday.

Yeah and my bushings are almost done again, the hangers start rattling especially the rear one when accelerating offroad, that’s the sign for a change. I started to save some telemetry data of my rides so I’ll know exactly how long tires or bushings lasted.

That’s it for now, I wish you all a great esk8 time!

11 Likes

Full coverage for me after bending the inner plate. Some measurements left to take (yes, I can print overhangs like that - no, I won’t make the file available. E-Toxx sells the Duffman version depicted above - https://www.e-toxx-shop.com/trampa/direct-drive/drive-guards-tpu/#cc-m-product-10002765770). 49

4 Likes

Looks interesting, too. Do you print them with a flexible material like TPU?

Yes. It’s the only material that won’t split apart or break, especially if you print it at higher than normal temperatures (layers melt together really nicely).

1 Like