DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

More e-toxxication, elastomere dampers :heart_eyes:

Can’t wait to test them, unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow because of Loctite. They were a bit tricky to mount because the bolt and nut of the baseplate are very close (no problem to mount on carve baseplate).

I replaced the front bolts to flat head and mounted them upside down.

On the front truck it works perfectly, on the rear truck the bolts are a bit closer to the dampers (couldn’t rotate the dampers freely), that’s why I had to mount both dampers first to the deck, then the 2 baseplate bolts and then the hanger. With some sweat (32°C inside) it worked with 2 clamps to get the hanger in the right position.

Seems like I’m the original bushing killer, didn’t last long :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

bushing

I’ve had a weird experience this week, made the mistake to make a turn with too much lean on a path with big cobblestones and started skidding like a car, left-right-left-right. Fortunately I didn’t crash and could stop the movement.

2 Likes

Dude… Is there even a bushing you cannot destroy? :smiley:

1 Like

@DeathCookies No :laughing:

Well I didn’t find the root of the problem and it’s really getting worse! After replacement and 20km riding one brand new bushing looks like that

20kmBushing

Seems like the bushing was turning inside the hole of the hanger and got sanded down. I found out that this one hole is a bit bigger than the others. Fortunately I have bushings which I normally have to sand down because they are too big but fit perfect in this hole. To fill the gap I used DIY washers

But after 10km the whole truck started to rattle again and sound broke. Now it’s not a problem outside of the bushing, it’s sanded down inside, WTF no idea what’s wrong, I can’t replace bushings after every ride, that’s stupid.

Shot this video showing the behaviour of the elastomere dampers at different speeds and terrains. The original video with music is locked (copyright) so this version is with pure esk8 sound. Enjoy!

11 Likes

Batman shoes! :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha, fortunately I don’t hear this anymore since I’ve painted the logo black with edding. Good reminder for feedback, I like the improved stability with HiTop shoes and also the smooth leather is easy to clean. The only thing missing are some soft insoles, it’s quite hard.

Spent the last days at Lake Constance in switzerland and germany without board so I can’t wait to ride again.

Replaced the kingpin which was a little bit bent and trying to fix my bushing problem. I have various bushings at home (I’m afraid I need to order more soon) and they differ a bit in ID and OD which means either the bushing sits loose or the kingpin has play, try to find out what’s better.

I guess it’s better with play on the kingpin but then the truck sounds very broke and the hanger moves and it’s getting worse when riding. When the kingpin in the hanger sits a bit loose (can rotate) the bushing gets damaged ultra quick.

Or I glue the bushings on the hanger but don’t know which glue I should use which is easy to remove but still strong. I have to find a solution as I eat bushings for breakfast right now.

But before deciding what to do I would love to hear a explanation from @trampa how the movement on the spring trucks should work. Which part should move (rotate) and which should stay on place?

• Kingpin
  • Bushings on the hanger

On the baseplate the bushings are very tight so I think they can’t rotate. Thanks in advance!

VertigoTruck

Hmm… after 160 km (100 miles) the rear tires show definitely more wear, let’s see how long they last.

3 Likes

Getting sick of these tires. My freshly installed T3 lasted maybe 2 weeks before the middle profile was almost gone.

That’s roughly 180 km.

group buy? I’m sure the min order quantity can be negotiated…

1 Like

Nice find, motivated me to do some research for this tires on aliexpress… I would say back to the roots telnoi :laughing:

32€ for 4 tires including free shipping! But you have to order 2 at once twice, otherwise the shipping is not free. I just paid 2 and then ordered 2 again it worked flawlessly and no problems with customs, too :sunglasses:.

Do you swap front and rear tires after 50% of riding?

1 Like

That sucks about the bushings. Any idea what material they are made of? Maybe a material with high compression strength and low friction like Delrin or HDPE could work? Hopefully, @marcmt88 can chime in on the Delrin suggestion.

1 Like

Awesome, yah…honestly considering buying more directly from there. It seems many suppliers are more than willing to offer good prices for the stuff we need.

PS. Really interesting how much marketing plays a role in selling these products. A: give it an obscure name to hide the origins of the product B: give it a cool description (Electronic scooter tires? Doesn’t sound good…these are the ultimate offroad tires) C: profit

Regarding the bushings. If you send me some measurements I could try printing a special pair with a certain material.It’s TPU based, but with a very high shore value.

1 Like

Hmm, this is interesting I just replaced hanger with bushings after 3.5k miles and my bushings looked pretty much no different from new apart of several scratches. Maybe your hanger and baseplate holes are bad?

P.S. I am riding on streets mostly and jumping a lot because of red/blue dampas

1 Like

Thanks for your replies :grin:

No idea what the trampa bushings are made of

Unfortunately I have zero knowledge about 3d printing and the materials but sounds interesting.

If the price is nice I’m in but I guess it’s more than 8€/tire in the end. You have to pay shipping costs and if it’s TNT or similar courier you have to pay tax plus some fees. I ordered stuff from Maytech directly and had to pay shipping plus paypal fee plus tax plus fees and in the end it was way more expensive than in europe.

:rofl: You got it

Wow thank you very much for this offer :hugs: The only thing I wonder is if TPU has too much friction compared to hard plastic when it’s rubbing on rotation (on kingpin and baseplate). But I’m sure TPU would be perfect against cracking.

Would love to test a pair ( but I use 2.5mm and 3mm base). No idea how much TPU can be compressed but 1 hole is 10.04mm, the other 10.15mm. The inner diameter is 8mm.

@Eboosted made a file but I don’t know if it’s tested.

But before you spend any time on this I want to test my actual solution, also I’m thinking of changing the hanger and then the measurements would be different.

Because after a 20km ride today the new bushings are still fine which is a great improvement. I changed the bushings on the baseplate (kingpin had play) and added layers of kapton tape on the bushings on the hanger until they couldn’t rotate anymore. I can’t say how long they last but I was jumping in dirt park and bmx track and roughest terrain only today and no weird noise yet, only a little play like on the front hanger. I’ll see after the next ride(s) what’s going on.

I think the main problem is my hanger, some weeks ago 2x2mm bushings were fine, now it’s 1.5mm more so it’s bent inside also 1 hole is bigger, guess I abuse the trucks too much.

If you tired of jumping and want more longboard feeling you have to try these :sunglasses:

https://www.e-toxx-shop.com/trampa/elastomere-damper/

1 Like

I had my orange ones but it wasnt same feeling as hard dampas at 70kmh :smiley:

That’s suicide :crazy_face:

It’s just city highways :smiley: That’s why I switched to full hard dampas and bindings, it’s just pleasure to speed through cars and race them on red lights and see drivers faces at next stop light :smiley:

At top speed I don’t even feel slight wobble or etc if not bindings I could dance on the deck I guess :smiley:

I hope you wear good protectors @Kug3lis :wink:

Forgot to mention that today was my first time jumping in dirt park after weeks and the very first time with MBS heelstraps. Wow what a difference, they kept me locked no matter what I did even after 180’s. With Trampa heelstraps I had to readjust them after 1-3 jumps or one 180. With MBS zero readjusting, great!. They also slide down but you are still locked and not half-locked because they are bigger.

I really like the elastomere dampers and still didn’t try them with pre-tension because I enjoy the carving and tight turns so much. Crazy how this small things effect the ride experience so much. The only thing because it’s more sensitive is that when jumping you need good balance when landing. Today I left the track several times because of imbalance on landing, but quite funny. It’ll take some more rides to get 100% used to the different behaviour but then it’s unbeatable. I make u-turns on so many places which was impossible with springs.

1 Like

I sport Icon Variant (BattleScar) helmet, and if am going crazy I put on some other protections, but normally on commute I am just with helmet, I am not doing crazy stuff which would require bailing out or etc… I speed only if I see possibility and etc :wink:

Thinking of getting this to go with Mark 48 project :smiley: as its more street board

5 Likes

Upgraded my 149 kv to 12s, top speed around 50 km/h now. Scary enough today after I blew another fucking tire. The MBS T3 are absolutely horrid. Probably the shortest run time out of all tires I tried so far (200 km before end of life). Once the wiggly line is no longer visible you can basically throw them away as a regular small stone can press through the rubber and puncture the inner tire.

Funnily, I am back on my “clever” branded tires that look identical to the Trampa vine, also 80PS. They have lasted over 1800 km, though I am certain my driving style changed since they were last used.

1 Like

200km is really bad range. I don’t feel motivated to try out my T3’s :laughing:

Wanted to go for a ride but a motor gear was loose so no ride today.