DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

“Quick Robin…to the dirt machine”

2 Likes

There is no place for Robin on the Batmobile :laughing:

hehe

BTW this picture is from the “Batmobile Joyride Experience Australia”. Batman has full body protection which is great for but the helmet seems not safe.

2 Likes

These tires (MBS T3) don’t last much longer. Grip is a bit worse (more drifting in loose sand and stones). Switching back to regular profile at least.

1 Like

It’s time for an update, the last weeks I had very little time to work on the board but I am back with some improvements and ready to ride again.

I sold my complete Trampa belt drivetrain with motors from V1 of this build, that’s why I could order some parts I had on my list (a long list but lack of money). Finally I have some MBS heelstraps, jesus they are huge and thick, very curious how they’ll perform, looks promising.

Got 2 new shiny Unik motors and thought about how to improve the cable management. To eliminate any stress on the wires I extended and routed them different this time. Good side effect is a better compact looking and no more alien cables as usual.

For the gears I’ve always used “Total Power Grease” which is a spray grease from Innotec. This time I wanted to try out something different, lithium-graphit grease. The gears are quite silent now and feel smooth but I guess this gonna change after riding.

I didn’t find a proper solution yet to handle the play of bearings in the superstar spokes. I killed my last bearings pretty fast I guess because of this fact. After 1000km you can see the contact areas inside the spoke, mostly it’s only on 2 sides where the color is gone. This is really annoying, used kapton tape to bridge the gaps, it’s better but not good at all.

Also mounted the drive guards, let’s see how they like impacts, gonna add the bull bars soon after black anodizing.

There’s one strange thing happening with the tire sealant (aka green slime). After releasing the air of the tubes due to tire change it seems like in 1-2 tubes the sealant got hard and the wheels are imbalanced because the former fluid can’t spread and acts as an additional weight. @benjammin and @Duffman did you get similar problems after changing tires?

Interesting, do you also ride on concrete or 100% offroad? I’ve ordered a set of T3, too plus 6 MBS Vine tires, they seem to have more rubber. I’ll report back when I hold them in my hands and also after riding.

Now I’m going for my first ride after a break of 6 weeks :grin: and I have holiday, perfect combination.

2 Likes

The majority is off-road, but I have a feeling carving on concrete kills them harder.

Where did you order the vines? PM if you want to protect your source :stuck_out_tongue: Supposedly, the vines are made of harder rubber, which should result in them lasting longer.

Yeah carving on concrete is a tire killer but also sliding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve ordered the tires at mbseurope.com but after 2 days they wrote me they are out of stock until end of august, was a mistake on the homepage. Got refunded and ordered the vine tires here in germany. There is a second homepage of the same company with less products but also vine tires and 4x T3 for 45€

Thanks for the link. Been eyeballing these today, but looking at the site reviews (coronation) their stock indication is often incorrect :frowning:

Did you get a shipping notification already?

You can try green loctite for glueing bearings into rims, it’s made for it :wink: Maybe will help for you. We also fixed our wheel hubs so now the bearing place is more accurate which leads into tighter bearing fit which requires bit pushing with rubber mallet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t set my nerves on edge… NO :laughing: Just wrote them an e-mail, ordered 5 days ago. 6 days ago I asked them if they have 6 tires in stock and they said yes, it was the other homepage but that shouldn’t make any difference.

Good hint, does it need heat to remove? I’m not sure if I like to glue bearings :wink:

Yes, they need heat to remove, but green one is made for glueing bearings, and etc things into bit wider holes for cheaper manufacture :slight_smile:

P.S. I am talking not about thread locking one, but retaining one :slight_smile:

http://www.loctite.co.uk/retaining-9171.htm

Ugh, ok…hate it when that happens. This shit is my daily transportation and frustration venting equipment. I should start stocking tires.

Haha I know the feel, imagine my case ordered focbox waited 3 weeks no board to ride, UK public transport, get focbox which is defective now wait another 2 weeks for new one…

Seems promising but I guess the rubber shields of the bearings won’t survive a blow torch when removing :rofl:

That’s why I bought 10 :laughing: (hopefully I get them).

Let’s hope your DRVless esc will fix that stuff 4ever.

Still testing different brands. Until I’ve found my match, it’s 4 at a time :slight_smile: Honestly, the chinese diyeboard tires weren’t half bad from a mileage point of view. Seriously hard plastic, but they lasted.

Oh boy you don’t know how much I want that stuff to be finally on my board :smiley:

@rich you don’t need to blow bearing directly, just aluminum on the sides :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doing the same, where is the everlasting tire out there? I seek I search I still can’t find. But I prefer to have 6 tires. Instead of swapping front and rear tires after 50% (if you catch it right) I change the rear tires after they are worn out. The next time all 4 tires are worn out, that’s why I like 6 tires.

Ah thanks, good to know.

Now my battery is charged, I’m geared up and ready to ride in the urban jungle :metal:

We should produce or own pneumies! It cant be to hard because a motorcycle or car tire will last much much longer…

It is just that the Big players want to make some Cash…

1 Like

Just came back from my 20km ride, almost forgot how great it is :sunglasses:

I like the MBS heelstraps, like the bindings they are comfy and barely noticeable. Due to their size they give good support even when they slip down, good investment.

I did monitor the realtime data, motors got 60°C and Vescs 51°C. The new motors have about 5 km/h less top speed, guess the first batch had more kv than advertised.

True, imagine you drive with the car on vacation a couple of hundred kilometers to your destination. To drive back you need to buy new tires. After you reached home you need to buy new tires to get to work. If your distance to work is 50km you need to buy new tires at least four times a month. Nobody would drive a car ift it would be like that :joy:. We are poor mountainboarders.

1 Like

Those soft rubber tires are a business model for sure. The boards themselves last relatively long and any moving parts of trucks are cheap. Not much profit there except for the initial sell.

Any hill climbs? My SK3 need replacing, wondering if I should go sealed or not.

1 Like

As far as I can tell the green slime is water based. Just try to drip some water in your tube and try to dissolve or thinn it.

I would also simply glue the bearings into the hubs. If you have to replace the bearings because they are broken then it does not matter if you burn them with a blowtorch and smash them out…

2 Likes