DIRT MACHINE | Trampa Holypro 16 ply | Vertigo trucks | Superstar hubs | Unik Polaris 6374 150kv | E-toxx black direct drive | Vesc 6 | 12s

How fast were you going against that concrete block? Could not have been more than 20km/h i think? Probably less. Takes a massive amount of force to bend a whole fucking hanger i think :open_mouth:

1 Like

That sucks…good thing the drive train is ok (most expensive part). Hope you get on the road again soon. I wonder if the infinity trucks can take more of a beating, being solid.

1 Like

Maybe 10km/h (6mph), hard to say. I tried to brake but for some reason it didn’t or time was too little.

And imagine the sound crushing motors in this concrete wall, this was one of the worst sounds I’ve ever heard.

Right now the morning sun is shining while I disassemble half of the build instead of going for some rides, this is weird and feels like a nightmare.

Thanks man! I guess I order an machined Infinity hanger today, it has no holes so it must be stronger but it is heavier and not as sexy as the vertigo.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words :blush:

Maybe I should start a new thread about my urban carver build which I try to finish since 14 months :joy: I want this build as daily commuter but need to finish building first, neverending story :roll_eyes:

1 Like

how are those motors performing in the spring heat by the way? My SK3 are heating up nicely now (would estimate around 50 degree C) during a hill climb. Do you have open motors you can compare them to?

Can tell you exact temperature next week when my board is running again. The last rides I didn’t use the phone app so I don’t know the temperatures of motors and vescs. The motor has a temperature sensor so I should get some valid data.

Last year in midsummer I used open motors on this build with V4.12 and outside temperature of 35 degree C and after maybe 30 minutes I hit some temperature limits and got less power, after cooling down for 2-3 minutes it was fine again. I’m used to ride until my battery is empty without taking brakes :grin:. Unfortunately the Ackmaniac app wasn’t working on new FW last year so I don’t know if the motors or the vescs hit the temperature limit (the motors had temperature sensors, too).

I’m also very curious how the sealed motors will perform in midsummer and if I get heat problems. The opened motors got also hot during longer hill climbing.

Next thing:

I want to thank @okp and @Nowind for the express handling of my problem :sunglasses:! Them shipped motor and a machined Infinity Hanger today so I can ride again probably end of next week :pray: Fortunately I have a spare baseplate at home.

I just realized that all parts of my build including MTB are from UK, Germany and France, this is really perfect for quick replacement within Europe, never thought about that before but this is a massive advantage.

Got this metal bushing beauties from @Nowind, they feel very sturdy and fit perfectly, I’m sure they will survive some abuse :grin: . Thanks a million bro!

6 Likes

Nice. I asked him about those bushings. You’ll have to tell me how you like them :smiley:

2 Likes

For sure, gonna let you know my impressions next week after my first ride. I’ll use them on another build, too. I’m afraid I got the whole stock :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Lol oh…that might be why haha

1 Like

After watching this video of @amecces I’m a bit concerned about my bolted Pelicase, it could crack one day. I think the best solution would be a segmented enclosure with 2 or 3 parts for jumping.

Deck1

4 Likes

:slight_smile: segmented enclosure :wink: now your talking.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more buddy!! I’d love to see something like the guys have been building below their decks above the deck! You’d want good cushioning under the batteries too though to protect the cells from impact. I’ve been thinking about this a lot too recently :thinking:

1 Like

It’s be great to incorporate a BMS too for charging!

1 Like

Eboosted and I we’re talking about doing like 3 segments.

The front and back segmented being lower and holding 18 cells each, with the front one slightly taller to hold the bms/voltage display if you wanted it. Charge port ect. And then the middle being double the height to hold 36 cells. To try to keep it evenly weighted and relatively low and sleek to fit between the bindings. 12s6p total

1 Like

This sounds like the perfect solution, definitely interested, too! I would prefer to have BMS in the back segment but I guess it’s mountable in both directions. Fiberglass should be the strongest solution.

Last year I did some testings with thermoforming, wanted to do a segmented ABS enclosure for Urban carver deck, but after some fails I gave up. Maybe I give it another try but this fiberglass thing seems promising.

For those who want to try vacuum thermoforming I can tell you how not to do it :laughing:

The mold was too much square-edged, should be more rounded.

I tried it with a DIY oven with a burner, an electric grill plus heatgun, it didn’t work so I split the mold in two halfs and used the oven in my kitchen.

The second problem was to get that ABS between the gaps, it would be a lot easier with bigger gaps.

I made a new frame and tried it with aluminium crossbars which worked but only with 1mm ABS and that’s not sturdy enough. I got tired of it and had no more energy to make new molds/frames…

4 Likes

I use only Velcro to fix the batteries (2x4s), that weighs nothing and is firm when jumping

1 Like

@DanSkates @ArnhemAnt @Deckoz

@rich got the last set of bronze bushings :frowning: from @Nowind I (we, Dan & Ant) spent too long waiting for the rest of my kit and missed out. Hopefully enough people will show interest in a set to get JensoBro to tool up & make some more before too long :pray:

& Velcro lipos for the :checkered_flag:

3 Likes

Yeap - I figured that @rich got greedy (LOL). All good. Happy to wait. Keen to hear the feedback from @rich on how the bushings perform.

I’m also very, very interested in the concept of a flexible enclosure above the deck as mentioned above by @Deckoz. Sounds like an awesome idea. I’ve only just got my enclosure from @Eboosted and haven’t even got the battery pack built, but I do see the downside with the batteries being under the deck, particularly for off-road use, which is all mine will be doing. I’ve got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I can already feel a second, and possibly third build coming up…

2 Likes

We need an antidote, this is a desease and we are all infected

3 Likes

I bought different velcro’s, too but my mind doesn’t trust them but I think it’s just in my head :grin:

:laughing::joy::sunglasses::kissing_heart:

This is the first time I’m happy that we live so far away from each other because I have the feeling you would like to visit and beat me up :rofl:

And sorry @Nowind, I think the picture put some pressure on you :wink:

With the urban carver deck you have more ground clearance than with HolyPro so it should work if there are no big stones on your bush tracks, also the enclosure seems sturdy enough to take some hits. BTW would love to see a pic of the environment you gonna ride.

One downside of an enclosure under the deck is that you can’t swap batteries to get more range and maybe end somewhere in the bush with empty battery :smile: If you need more stability you could upgrade your front truck with the wide hanger.

Welcome to the club!

My antidote is lack of money :laughing: For all of you with enough money I don’t see any chance of healing, you could try spiritual healing or quit your well-paid job to get rid of this disease…

2 Likes