DAVEga: Battery monitor, odometer, speedometer

Ive actually started developing a UART Splitter based based on your request for one :stuck_out_tongue: It is definitely a much needed device. If all goes well with testing, you shouldnt have to wait too much longer for one :slight_smile:

12 Likes

It was me who told them the idea. They where asking me for ideas on things they could make for eskate with low parts cost. But I didn’t think they would just copy it. Haha we will se alot of fun things if they make all the things I told them that they could make :grin::joy:

2 Likes

Now we wanna know what you told them to make😃

1 Like

:arrow_up:

We need a “Flipsky copies…” thread

4 Likes

I hope you also told them to honor the guy who made all the work…

5 Likes

I told them: this open source project you could make something simular, it will probely be popular if it comes pre assembly. But please design it by yourself and if you use any others work i suggest you honor or pay them.

3 Likes

To a Chinese company, this translates as

…because their intellectual property laws are so world-class over there.

7 Likes

How much cash do you think they put Vedder’s way each month?

I think Jan could get just as much :wink:

5 Likes

Which two screens?

Well at least they did name it after him and did give a url to the github

2 Likes

Here comes @janpom

Screenshot%20from%202019-04-16%2001-49-51

3 Likes

Achievement unlocked! Getting copied by a Chinese company. :laughing:

@mmaner must be mad they didn’t choose his enclosure design over @lrdesigns. :slight_smile:

Well, the FW is open source. It’s perfectly legit that they use it and sell it as long as they keep any code updates open source… which they actually have to, not just for legal reasons, but mainly for technical reasons. People need the source code to be able to configure the device. I wonder if we’ll see any new features or bug fixes from Flipsky.

This is also great timing since I just ran out of parts for making more kits and I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to make more. I made over 100 by now and it’s not that much fun anymore. I think I’ve been making like $2/hour on this (not including the FW development time) so it’s not really like Flipsky is putting me out of business. :laughing: In fact, it’s great that somebody will keep distributing the HW.

The only thing that makes me mad is the way they executed this.

First, the way they have done it is pretty lame. There’s misleading info in the item description, e.g. the 5c about pressing the button 3. That’s just plain wrong. They also link an old version of the code and they link the source code rather than the release file. Last but not least, the cable seems too short. It will likely require an extension on most boards.

Second, they didn’t talk to me or Luke about what they are about to do. At the very least, it would have been polite. “Guys, we’d like to make a product based on your open source design. Is that OK? Any comments or suggestions?” I’d happily give them my blessing and even spend some time making sure they don’t screw it up…

Anyway, time to make progress the new DAVEga+. :slight_smile:

IMG_1837

33 Likes

@lrdesigns This is great info. That will likely be an underflow bug in handling the amp values. I think I don’t account for a negative value there, which is of course a problem when breaking. It should be an easy fix. I’ll try to look at it toning.

… or, shall we file a bug report at Flipsky? :wink:

5 Likes

I will definitely be interested in testing(and/or assembling!)!! I can even make this relevant to this thread by saying this could be used for a “DAVEga-dashboard” or even larger DAVEga+ cluster up front! :wink:

1 Like

The DAVEga+ will be using the ESP32 MCU, which has built-in bluetooth. One of the features I have in mind is to do it such that it show the telemetry on the display but it also relays it over BT so that a mobile app can retrieve it.

10 Likes

@janpom mh bigger display is nice. How much modification to pcb parts, if any would be needed?

I guess code also changes a bit due to different display / size or it stays the same mostly? (Other than pixel size - letter size, i guess)

Ok got the answer, i guess :smiley: esp module would be way different level

It’s a completely different design. I’m doing it on ESP32 and in Micropython. I’m basically starting. It will take a few months until I have something to show. I have a lot of ideas and very excited about the project. I wish I had more time for it. I hope this will go quickly though since I’m much more efficient in Python than in C++.

6 Likes

LoLz :rofl:

They can’t innovate; they produce carbon copies.

1 Like

somebody else told Flipsky what they could do and they just made that. That tells me that they have absolutely no idea what they are producing.

2 Likes

Speed and Battery amps.

1 Like