Darth Icarus | Loaded Icarus | 10s4p | Sound System | Gummies | Psycho Mounts

Damn, that thing looks amazing. gush

1 Like

Con you make a slowmo video of the icarus jumping on the center of it?

If it’s too flexy you need a second plan for the battery pack

2 Likes

Sure. I will after dinner.

And if the pack design has to change, so be it. I just had it laid out on the table with the rest of the parts thinking about the build.

I think a dual enclosure will be needed, like the vanguard

1 Like

That’s fine by me. As long as the battery enclosure can fit 12s4p with a standard BMS that can support discharge…I should be able to fit 13s4p and this micro BMS just fine.

@Eboosted

1 Like

That is extremely flexy, you need a dual enclosure or a segmented enclosure like this one in order to allow the flex of the board.

However if you make segments you won’t be able to run 13S as you will need more space between the packs to allow compresion/expansion.

On a segmented enclosure you need 53cm to run 12S Each segment has an approximate length of 8.85cm For 13S you will need 7 segments of 8.3cm that’s a total of 61.84cm just for cells and BMS You will need an 8th segment to fit two VESCs You will need a 9th segment for switch, receiver and charger. An 9 segment enclosure should be aprox 80cm

4 Likes

Well…don’t think a segmented enclosure would work if it’s that long.

What about

4s4p in 3 rows for 12s and the 13th S in the nose under the BMS…where a normal full size BMS would go.

Vanguard style…but this extends to the center further then the first option Or

@Eboosted

1 Like

The second option is much better, it wouldn’t matter if it extends more as long as the clamping points remain at the center allowing the rear part of the enclosure to stay straight and keeping the battery pack safe during deck flexion.

Keep in mind that flex decks are a challenge to work with, you need be extra careful as fire hazards are more probable to happen.

1 Like

Why is the second option much better?

1 Like

The side to side camber of the board flattens during flexation. Make sense as the two “halves” can flex independently with silicon wire connecting them. Vs Nickel making a solid block across like the first… I didn’t think about it til he said it and I remembered building the vanguard.

The Icarus is shorter then the vanguard so there is gonna be more flex closer to the trucks which in turn would be above the packs… The vanguards flexation is more towards the middle of the board.

@Eboosted correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

Yeah, if you mount the cells vertically you will need to connect them with bent nickel strips and due constant vibrations/flexions, I’d estimate 30000 per day they will brake in the first week no matter what, that would be the optimist option, the negative, most likely to happen option, would be a short between the positive and negative leads, take note that they will be touching each other hitting constantly, they will definitely cause erosion, a short and cought fire.

2 Likes

Gotcha, thanks guys. I didn’t really think about the side to side flex. Makes sense.

2 Likes

Another small update

@Eboosted took a trip to @gogomrrobot 's to pick up the Loaded Icarus and Landyachtz Evo I got for him and the Hi5ber Zenith from @Mikenopolis to make some enclosures. Thanks Goldie for hosting a shipping destination.

I also started assembling (gluing)my pack…won’t be welding it until I’m sure of the final layout.

My buddy @SORRENTINO has been working on the motor mounts for the SurfRodz. Still prototyping for perfect fitment .

Hoping to see enclosures and gummies in a few weeks, and finalize a mount design.

8 Likes

Yup. Thanks to @gogomrrobot ‘s generosity and @Eboosted ‘s willingness we will soon have perfectly fitted enclosures for three awesome decks. If anyone is looking for a CF deck. That is a Hi5ber Zenith.

+1 want Icarus enclosure.

@navgor Tbh the vanguard ones he does fit really well with a light sanding. Check out my build for pics

1 Like

No it doesn’t 3/4" gap on the camber is not fitting “well”

The entire reason I purchased a board for Alan is because gaps like that is asking for issues and road junk to work it’s way into your enclosures. A dedicated form fitting enclosure is need if you plan to have any longevity of parts and minimize maintenance over time.

Those stuff rodz mounts are looking fresh!!! Please please pm me when i can purchase 2 of those rings. :pray:

1 Like

You got it man :wink:

1 Like