Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

30€ including the shipping back to me? :wink:

Just buy yourself a ST-Link V2 from aliexpress or ebay for around 2 dollar. (I used one that looks like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ST-Link-V2-stlink-mini-STM8STM32-STLINK-simulator-download-programming-With-Cover/1956977845.html A great investment and you can flash as often as you would like for future VESCs. :slight_smile: 30€ ?!?! I can do it for a coke when you are living near to me. :smiley: Where are you from?

Really like the new zoom feature @rpasichnyk. :+1:

sure :slight_smile: or just buy the ST-Link and follow the tutorial

Is this only possible if you run dual vesc? If not how would I plug it in since it uses the same port as most receivers

A lot of receivers use the PPM-signal (RC-Servo) port. But when you have a receiver that is already using the UART/I2C port the only possibility would be two VESCs right now, connected over the CAN bus.

I fixed some bugs yay :slight_smile:

• Fix distance calculation when ‘Prefer GPS’ is enabled (thanks to @hexakopter). We did some tests with other GPS apps such as ‘runastic road bike’ and ‘wahoo fitness’ and results are closer now.
  • Fix Upload Location option not always working properly (thanks to @hexakopter).
  • Add incremental wh and distance updates to every record. This will allow to see how much energy was consumed and distance travelled in the zoomed area.
  • Add timestamps to all points of the record to fix overlay timings (thanks to @makevoid). I think the reason for slight overlay speed up is inaccuracy of programmatic timer. For example if you have ‘Timeout interval’ set to 500ms, sometimes it is 490, sometimes 510, 520, etc. In a longer run it all adds up, maybe background mode can also make an impact. I updated my overlay presets, @makevoid you can apply this patch to your preset to make use of the timestamps. This will only affect future records that were recorded with the new app version => v1.5.15
+  var elapsed = record.interval;
+  if (record.version >= 5) {
+    elapsed = record.elapsed[index];
+    if (index > 0) {
+      elapsed -= record.elapsed[index - 1];
+    }
+  }
+
   setTimeout(() => {
-    addFrame(record.interval, next);
+    addFrame(elapsed, next);
   }, 0);
 }
4 Likes

App works great , only thing I can’t seem to get up and running is de Android watch. I am getting notification on my watch but when I open the Metr app on my watch it keeps showing ‘‘Run metr on your phone’’. Which is weird since it is running and pushing notifications to it already.

Anyone know a possible solution or something I am missing ?

@MrEpiquad see post #257

Open Realtime tab, long press anywhere, you will enter Layout Mode. In the Layout Mode you will see small watch icons. Select which data you want to display on your watch (you can choose 1 or 2 cells)

@rpasichnyk Thanks many times , it works like a charm !

Maybe useful to put this explanation also on the setup page, for other people ?

1 Like

Good idea, thank you! I added that to https://metr.at/setup

1 Like

My “first official” test of the overlay function from the metr.at app.

Here are the related metr.at logs:

Later on I will create a new thread about that comparison, to not hijack this one, but I thought it would be also interesting here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, just received the bluetooth module from you in the mail. Got a problem that the app can’t see the module. My phone sees it in bluetooth settings and I have a bluetooth sniffer app that can see it, and it shows up sometimes in other VESC apps, but in metr I click scan and it just scans until it times out. Any ideas? Did I get a faulty one? VESC is set to PPM + UART and Baud Rate is set to 115200…

Please make sure you are running the latest version of the app, open Settings tab, scroll down, there is a version number in the bottom. PM me the screenshot of it and the logs. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I updated the app and that seems to have fixed it! Many thanks!

Hey, I have another question, how does the battery meter section work? My battery is fully charged (50.4v) but the app is displaying around “63” on the “battery” tab. Any ideas?

@jackw see post #185

I don’t know if it is useful to use the VESC max voltage to calculate it. When you change the max voltage inside BLDC Tool that means that a higher voltage reading will shut down the VESC when I am not mistaken. So when you are using regenerative breaking you can exceed this max voltage and the controller disables the output. That is at least what I think could happen. So for me it makes more sense to have the voltage of your fully charged battery adjustable in the metr.at app and the max voltage setting inside the VESC a little bit higher. That also means that the metr.at app (instead of the perimetr app) don’t need to read any of the stored VESC settings data, just the realtime data. Maybe that would be also useful with the future VESC Tool protocol when you know what I mean. :wink:

3 Likes

I was wondering about this too. Can you please program an option to set the battery voltage inside Metr? You don’t really want the VESC max voltage limit set to your fully charged battery. You need a buffer or braking on a nearly charged battery may cause the VESC to cutout

2 Likes

Hey @rpasichnyk, I got a VESC 6 beta coming in the mail. Obviously not expecting firmware/configuration control via Perimetr right away, but how about metr.at / telemetry data? Should it work out of the gate?

wait for the response of @rpasichnyk before trying, the old version of metr.at app is not compatible with vesc 6 but I believe Roman is pushing an update soon? - I’m referring to this post http://www.vesc-project.com/node/31 of @hexakopter - he tried it already but without an app update from Roman that will detect the v6 and speak the same protocol with it it’s better not to try it .