Configuration and telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]

@hexakopter @jmasta I agree, turned out this is not the best way to detect battery percentage, I will add manual voltage input in the settings soon.

@HTownBomber I will let everyone know in this topic when the new VESC firmware support is up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any news on these? Was about to comment these exact things!

@rpasichnyk Edit: One more thing, is it possible to add the ability rename the bluetooth devices (or already a way) so I can easily pick which board I want to connect to, at the moment it’s just called “metr-121” etc

Sorry one more edit! Can we please possibly have an option to choose MPH/KPH and Celsius/Fahrenheit separately? For strange places such as the UK where we tend to use Mph and Celsius most commonly! :stuck_out_tongue:

@rpasichnyk - any update on VESC Six support? I have a pair and really want to use your app! Have 2 in the box ready to go (older pin for 4.6-4.7 and newer for 4.12).

I want to have “modes” to make it “guest friendly” and de-tune to a beginner mode for folks to try w/o removing batteries (what i usually do now).

Thx!!

Looks like I will finally have my vesc6 build up and running. Have not thought about plugging in your ble chip at least for logging for now. Is there anything I need to do differently for plugging into vesc6, what pins need to match etc. also anything differently in how to configure metr, uart baud etc. would like to log metr both vesc via cabus etc. any pointers?

I also ordered two blutooth modules and plugged them into my Enertion VESC x but right now I’m not receiving any data. I am able to connect to the BT module but not getting anything. Thought it works plug and play :-/ Hope there will be an update soon

@sl33py @caustin the support for new firmware is almost ready, at least for metr. Big thanks to @hexakopter who helped a lot with research and testing, this would not be possible otherwise in so short time. There are couple of small things left, I hope by the end of this week you will all get the new version. Perimetr is another story, it needs whole lot more time for research and there is still a risk to break something, so I would prefer to wait until the firmware source code is available.

@jackw battery tile configuration coming together with new firmware support (very soon). You will be able to select number of cells (10S, 12S, etc) and battery type (Li-Po or Li-Ion).

come on! Can’t you remember 2 numbers, which is which? :slight_smile:

very interesting fact, I will think about it

@v4L1um plug and play is pure marketing :wink: Please connect to the VESC with BLDC-Tool and check that you have UART enabled and baud rate is 115200. You can find instructions here metr

1 Like

Thank you I didnt have that setting… :smiley: Is there a way to connect my laptop via bluetooth to the vesc now and programm it with BLDC?

@rpasichnyk and @hexakopter thanks for quick turn on the vesc6 support, and I only need vesc logging & visibility via metr for now! And a more simple question, looks like VESC6 has 8 comm pins…will I need to do anything to the existing UART plug on the chip, not sure it has the same number of pins and pin holes. Hoping I can just start at the left (5V and plug in current plug/wires, ignoring the extra ADC2/3 pins on the right?

Looks like TX and RX changed from HW4.XX to HW6.XX. So you need to change the UART pins. Power and GND is the same as before.

1 Like

New VESC firmware support (3.x) is ready and out, please update to the latest version 1.6.2. If you have VESC 6, you can now make use of the metr.at app. Thanks to @hexakopter and @makevoid who helped with the testing!

There are more goodies in this version:

• Automatic records. If you sometimes forget to start or stop the record like I do, you will find this useful.

• Module-specific settings. If you have two skateboards (or bike) with different setups, it’s easier to switch between them without changing all the parameters every time. To configure these, click on the blue icon near the module name in Settings. .

• Battery percentage settings made easy, just enter your cell count and chemistry type.

6 Likes

From what I understand I have to switch RX and TX cables on the dongle if I want to use it with VESC SIX, correct? Because new VESC have tx and rx pins relocated.

Yes, you need to swap RX and TX on the dongle for VESC6, you can use a needle for that

I already did, works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Roman! Really love the app, and I’m a big fan of the new features, if I was able to use them. :frowning: Since the new update it won’t connect to the Bluetooth board, do you know what’s up?

I’m running iOS 11 on an iPhone 7 Plus, so I don’t know if they changed anything in iOS 11 (and it’s still in the early beta stages…) But it worked fine on iOS 11 before the update!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I think I had similar problems a few times, not sure why this happens. Unfortunately the only thing that helped me was to delete the app and install it again. If you do this, you will loose all your records. You can upload them and write down the links or just let them go. Let me know if it helps.

Sorry, can you remind me again if/how to log dual vesc (or at least switch between 2 vesc real time measurement in app)? I just swapped rx/tx pins for dual vesc 6, assume I plug in to master vesc6 115200 baud uart +ppm etc…enable canbus forward and can measure slave vesc via canbus? Thanks!

Yes, you can switch between 2 VESCs. Go to SettingsMiscellaneous, enable CAN Fwd and specify CAN Id of slave VESC.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone already suggested it but would it be possible to implement total mileage tracking specific to Bluetooth module? I know it probably can be achieved by recording data, but it would be nice if app could keep track of it sort of separately. Another idea to consider is to change name of Bluetooth module so switching between boards in app could look like “mountainboard” / “longboard”, in my opinion this could make this awesome app even more user friendly.

1 Like

This is great. Thanks! Just tried out the automatic recording, and it seems to work well. Can’t tell you how many 3 hour recordings I have from forgetting to stop Metr! :slight_smile:

I have been using your app daily for several months now, and I wanted to say Great Job! Working pretty great overall. I have been keeping a list of ideas for future improvements and some minor bugs I have encountered on the way. Mainly it is a list of "it would cool if"s. I’ll share them when I have more time…

P.S. I feel like your thread title should include your app’s name “Metr” somehow. Maybe something simple like: Metr: Configuration and Telemetry for VESC [iOS, Android]. I think it would be easier for new users. Let me know what you want, and I could update the title for you if desired

2 Likes

[work in progress]

• bluetooth module alias
  • mileage stats

@jackw @squad thank you. I get many suggestions, but when the same things are being repeated they get more points in my head

4 Likes