Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

I added mine.

2 Likes

The new dickyho 60t pulleys are great. I did have to redrill them to get the holes right for the tires I had purchased (separately) that were slightly off. I went from a 15T motor pulley to an 18t motor pulley and the range was greatly approved. I will do a proper range test and report back on the spreadsheet. IMG_20190421_211626 IMG_20190421_211641

6 Likes

Hey @MTboard, Great Job! Looks amazing. Did you try the plastic, or printed pulleys? OR, Do you notice a ā€œdecelerationā€ when you let off the throttle? I am still trying to figure out why these tires have such poor range compared to my 110 Superflyā€™sā€¦

The big difference is obviously ā€œpneumatic tiresā€. Butā€¦ There is also the larger plastic pulleys, dual pulleys (in my case), and a larger 15mm belt.

I was thinking of milling out an aluminum pulleyā€¦ I am also thinking of going single motor.

Canā€™t wait to see what your range comes out tooā€¦

I never tried the plastic, or printed on these 6x2 wheels. I was going to order some plastic pulleys the same day I saw Dickyhoā€™s post selling aluminum for basically the same price. They arrived in 9 days, super fast from china.

I donā€™t have much of an issue with deceleration when letting off the throttle. Iā€™ve found that you can minimize the deceleration with two major factors:

1. Keep your air pressure to the max (70psi on these wheels)
  2. Really fine tune the belt tightness. An Idler helps with this of course. Belts being too tight really slow you down quickly. Plus it makes everything work harder than needed. Btw I am using a 15mm belt also.

You have the capability to mill aluminum? If you do make them, what pulley ratio would you go with?

Excuse the dumb question, but which way are the threads supposed to point? Surely there is some logic behind orienting the wheel threads regarding the spin direction? :thinking:

Iā€™ve seen people use these both ways. Does this go in the same category as ā€œwhich way should the toilet paper roll be orientedā€ ?

This is right. (good) This is wrong (bad)

1 Like

B

10 Jason

4 Likes

Bā€¦like saidā€¦ think of a car tireā€¦ you want the tread to channel water away from the center of the tire outwardā€¦

2 Likes

Around 100km in and Iā€™ve noticed a slight chip in my 3D printed PETG pulley. Thin outer lip against the tyre. Not in a critical spot, but enough for me to start thinking about replacing them with Aluminium pulleys.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, some of the spokes have started snapping as well. Time to print new ones (maybe ABS this time) while I wait for aluminium ones. Also updated my results in the range sheet @captclearleft posted above.

1 Like

Thanks @niuva - The more people that update their data the better we all will know what works bestā€¦ (bad English, but the point is thereā€¦ ) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zLauFkuETBBs0kpOKL1sq-mk-qy21Do_cL4xsoutPQg/edit#gid=0
I was wondering when these printed gears would give. I redesigned all of them as my bolt patern was different (same wheels off aliexpress - not sure what happened there). And I removed some of the spokes, and filled it in some - Also made it so that I could put the bolt in the other way and add a nutā€¦ Let me know if anyone wants those files. @niuva - I would stick with the PETG (Or Nylon or Polycarb). My experience with ABS is - Its not that strong, and strangly brittleā€¦ Maybe it would mage a good gearā€¦ But my thought is - PETG is a prety strong and flexible mediumā€¦ Just my 2 centsā€¦

Thanks @MTboard - That all makes sense. I will try inflating to 70psi, and I will loosen up the belt a bit. I am currently using 16x42 for the gears. I was using 16x60. 16x60 seemed to be unnecessary and unused torqueā€¦ So I went to the 42 gears to see if I could get some range. I might have gotten 1/2 to a mile extra range, but thats it.
When I mill out the pulley, I will go with what I am getting the best results with at the time.
I have new batteries coming Monday (They will put me at 12s2p - 16ah)ā€¦
I will run the 42s first to see what my range is (hoping for 25miles). Then I will probably switch to the 50 tooth gearsā€¦

:open_mouth: you printed them in pla? Itā€™s supposed to be printed in ABS or PETG with lots of walls and 100% infill.

1 Like

Not PLA. PETG.

My pulleys have been successfully printed in PETG

Here is a quick and terrible video of the gearsā€¦ lol - be kind, I not a tuber, lolā€¦

Youtube PETG eSk8 Gear/Pulley Video

I keep getting tiny pebbles stuck in between my gears and pulley. The 60T pulley is so massive that external gunk just finds its way there easily and none of my old pulley guards really fit my TB V4 mounts anymore. Might end up designing something for 3D printing. Also noticed that the spokes on the pulleys really like to catch debris between them and the edge of the motor mount and that results in them snapping. Probably the best way for me to explain this is this image. :smiley:

bicycle yellow cartoon cycling sports equipment vehicle bicycle accessory bicycle frame

I tried running a single motor with these 6" pneumatics and the energy consumption was almost the same as dual, except the motor got really toasty. Down-gearing to 50T might help a bit. It would be interesting to hear your results.

@niuva, Ya I had/have that problem (debris) with my 110 Superfly board. It has tighter clearances as the motor is mounted under the board, and it has aluminum gears. Pebbles still get in thereā€¦ AND - I dont ride on dirtā€¦ As for my 6x2 board - I opted to ā€œnotā€ use the idler as I felt that kept everything too close to the mounts. I wasnt sure if the idler would helpā€¦ Iā€™m starting to think it might help with ā€œloosening up the beltsā€. My belts are not real tight, but maybe with the idler I could run the belts a little looser and the board would coast a little betterā€¦

@Bataleon,

Thats good to hear. I didnā€™t see a difference between the 60t and the 42t. They both get the same range (range sheet).

I thought for sure when I took off the 60s, and put on the 42ā€™s that I was going to see an increase in rangeā€¦ Nope. If anything - Like you said - The motors just get hotter. lolā€¦ I rode yesterday (20mi) I carry an extra battery(ies). It was almost exactly 10 mi when the my first battery went outā€¦
I now have new batteries getting ready to install. My battery box prints are finishing up this morning. When Itā€™s done - I will go from a 5ah 12s1p to a 16ah 12s2pā€¦ At my calculation I was getting 2mi/1ah (at that weight). If that holds true (disregarding increase weight). I should get 32miā€¦ I will update the range sheet when I ride this Saturday.

Hi guysā€¦ Iā€™ve got the wheels, printed pulley and adapater, but what size M6 bolt do I needā€¦ top thread says 45mm long but thatā€™s too shortā€¦ what are you guys using?? Thanks in advance

45mm should be enough if not using nylock nut mod, with the mod you would need 50mm.

Wellp, This is just awesome! And thanks to Evolve for putting it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGG-vy5OriI

It pretty much confirms everything we are looking at with our range sheet.

Please keep adding your data. I have a test on some new batteries, and different gears on Saturdayā€¦ If you are in the Denver Area this Saturday - Check out our ride >>>> Here

1 Like

Lost my shit at sad violin. :smiley: