Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

Thanks for your help folks.

@mishrasubhransu I allready got the mounts and the aluminium wheel pulleys from dickyho. Will run the 3D printed ones first to see how they perform.

@murloc992 Thanks for your help… I had calculated them and got a belt length of about 375mm without idlers. So your suggested 400mm with idlers is what I will go with. I think one idler on the slack side would be enough. Thanks for your help…

I started off with the 3d printed PETG pulleys worked fine but I noticed a big reduction in vibrations when I switched to aluminium, Also you can’t tighten the bolts to far on the plastic pulley, it will strart cracking, you’ll have to add locknuts on the screw ends.

1 Like

If they are printed properly, they will not crack at all. I tightened mine at 20Nm and nothing happened. Mainly has to do with dimensional accuracy, because the holes could be printed unersized and then they might crack on greater loads.

1 Like

When done properly is the key word. Both in printing and installing. Mine have 600km on them without any noticeable wear. But for people looking for a cheap robust option I def recommend dickyho’s aluminum pulley.

3 Likes

Cheap varies by access to a 3D printer but yes, the alu pulley is nice a f. :smiley:

Can anybody confirm that aliexpress wheels are exactly the same as the ones dicky sells? Wonder if the pulley would fit.

I’ve ordered 2 of the dickyho pulleys, I’m really hoping they fit!

1 Like

I think they should. Will only be able to measure fixing holes at home.

Anyone on here used a hummie deck with this setup? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my finished pulley. It weight 340 grams.20190424_170945

8 Likes

That’s me…

1 Like

Had these printed several months ago but since we had snow I didn’t finish my build. Now that the weather here is finally nice I managed to attach the 3D printed pulleys to my pneumatics - just waiting for my belts now. image

5 Likes

A little late in the game. Took somewhat a different approach. Identical deck used as mishrasubhransu. Opted to not cut the deck for wheel bite. Instead, moved hanger forward toward nose of deck and redrilled mounting holes. No wheel bite. Used TB reverse motor mounts with 6355’s mounted inward. No issues with motors hitting deck. Used the versa pulleys with spacers to get proper clearances. The next project is to make a custom fiberglass enclosure for it. GEDC0265%20(640x428) GEDC0264%20(640x428)

9 Likes

@cdn Looks Nice

Looks nice! Looking forward to see your custom enclosure.

Hey @willumpie82 , I realize this is a little old, and you probably have it solved, but… For others solving this same issue.

• In the video - It appears that the outer bearing is not seated. It should be flush with the rim.

Make sure that the bolt pattern for your rim is the same as the pulley. I have the same rims bought from the same vendor linked on this page - But… My bolt pattern for my wheels is 40mm. The pulley adapter from this thread printed as is - is 41.57mm. Not the same… If you force the bolts through, then the pulley may be off one side or the other.

• When the wheel is spinning (in the video) the motor is wobbling back and forth. This can be caused by the pulley not being aligned with the axle, the pulley out of round, pulley or wheel loose, incorrect seating of bearings, motor mount misalignment (not likely as the belt seems to maintain its position), and I am sure I am missing a couple.
    Hope this helps.

When tightening the adapter, and the pulley to the wheel - It is best to have an actual 8mm rod to slide through the wheel while tightening it up. This helps keep everything perfectly straight. If you willy-nilly just tighten it all up on a table or in your hand, then you may have a 1-3 mm offset within the wheel. These are not precision wheels - They are cheap 2 piece wheels that need to be aligned properly. If you do not have an 8mm rod - at least tighten the pulley and adapter while it is on an axle to assist in alignment.
Just my two cents to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Range Spreadsheet. Please contribute your results. I am curious as to what everyone has come up with, and what is working. Thanks

6 Likes

added my info (and took the liberty to add a few columns)

1 Like

Excellent! Thanks. Hopefully we can get more data.

I added my info!

1 Like