Cheap Ass 6x2 Pneumatic Belt Setup. 3D printed Pulley/ Vex Versa Pulley. Thingiverse link in post #534

i had the same reaction testing pneumatics for the first time. You know its bad but man i wasn’t prepared for that^^

1 Like

Thanks heaps. Yep the 45mm worked…

Do you need spacers / washer etc when you put the wheel on TB 218? It’s like a few mm to close and the pulley seems to just slight rub against the motor mount bracket screws

I personally used two 0.5mm speed rings and one 628 bearing. Wheel->speed ring->bearing->speed ring.

If it’s too much spacing you can also use one 608 bearing instead of 628.

Thanks again… bit of noob; what’s a speed ring? Washer??

Yes, a normal longboard/skateboard thin 8mm inner diameter (10mm outer) wheel washer. Most of the time they come in 1mm thickness, but there’s also thinner ones at 0.5mm. :slight_smile:

I tried out 16x50 gears today. We did a 20 mile round trip to down town Denver Co. 16x50s is the best so far for me. Great response with a better or same range as the 16x42s. I have also tried 16x60s.
For some reason, the 16x50s seem to roll better too. NOTE: I run my belts a little loose. No Idler. A very slight press on the belt deflects a little more than a 1/4-3/8" (7-8mm).
I am using 4 x 6cell 8ah Lipos (12s2p). After 20 miles my battery shows 47.9% remaining. That’s pretty good. This was all real nice flat paved trail.

Has anyone else had such good luck with 16x50 gears?

I have been using 16X50 right from the start :sunglasses:

The wheel gear is 3D printed in ABS(one solid and the other spoke version) and I have completed 800km on it already and still working great. I’ll do a 1000km update showing details of wear and tear. Screenshot_20190518-173335

2 Likes

Apparently painting them gives them a bit of personality. :laughing:

https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/no-words-just-pictures-delete-words-2/88821/1103?u=murloc992

The original paint used by the chinese is insane tho. Paint stripper barely got it off…

5 Likes

Are you riding these tires with 70psi?

1 Like

I run at 70 psi… no blowouts yet!

2 Likes

70psi seems to be the best for me as well.

2 Likes

72-75psi. I have a regulated supply.

1 Like

Did you try to inflate these wheels at a gas station? I am afraid they would just go kaboom from the initial burst of air. :smiley:

I have a lab air supply pipeline with a regulator. I have accidentally gone to 80psi. Didn’t explode. Haha.

1 Like

Ah, I bet a gas station pump would do a quite more intense initial burst. I saw bike tubes explode from it… :smiley:

i think we had that talk once already. A Handpump for Forks is the best way to go.

2 Likes

I’m debating a set of these on my board. How do they compare to MBS 100mm or Trampa 6.5" pneumatics?

comparing pneumatics to PU wheels makes not much sense. I think the Trampas have the better Tread profile.

The reason I ask is I currently am riding the MBS 100. So I am more interested in the difference in milleage. Would the trampa (innova) tyres fit these hubs?

Hey @jezza , You can check out the range sheet to compare your current setup (and your weight), to see what you might expect: Range Sheet

I have tried just about all the different wheels that have been on this forum (excluding the new TB 110’s)

The science is simple: Bigger wheels = better/easier on your legs an ankles.
As far as range. You are going to have better range with your 100MBS’s - by at least 50%. As in, plan on loosing at least half your range by going with pneumatic tires. I have gotten really good range out of my pneumatics by adding a ton of battery. There is no way around that. But the ride and cost is worth it. Check out this by Evolve.

Another downside with pneumatics is weight. As you start to build one of these monsters, you quickly add a ton of weight (and resistance) to the board.

If you want a cheaper try at a balanced approach - maybe get some used 110mm SuperFlys, or check out those TB110s - Those look pretty good. Like I said. The larger tires are really nice to ride as in “comfort” - Just plan on emptying your wallet on batteries.

3 Likes