Cheap ABS plastic enclosures

Battery enclosures can be expensive. The small DIYeboard enclosures can be $30, and the large flexible Lacroix style enclosures can cost hundreds. As a cheapo myself, I wanted to look for a super cheap enclosure for my 12s6p build, but I didn’t get many options below the $50 mark. The cheapest I found was this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JG41Z2R/ref=ox_sc_act_image_10?smid=A2MAPM9P562WJD&psc=1 But while this may seem like a good deal, I would like to remind you guys that ABS plastic cases can actually cost less than a dollar to make. And since I want to save money in every area of my cheap beast build, I don’t see why it should be impossible to cut at least $20 off even this super cheap enclosure cost. So I have an idea. Just an idea, but stick with me. This is an electronic enclosure wholesaler I found: https://www.polycase.com And here’s a quick ebay search of ABS enclosures: https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?kw=electronic+enclosure How difficult would it be to either get a group together to make custom enclosures that would benefit the community? These would sell for <$15 a piece or even less. Or, we could innovate on the enclosures that already exist to create a solution that can save us the tens of dollars that we need to spend on batteries and motors (string multiple smaller ABS enclosures together? This can even help with flex).

Tell me what you guys think. I’m interested in bringing this part of the build forward. There have been many innovations in motors, mounts, drive trains, batteries, etc, but I’m interested in whether we can figure out a cheap solution for enclosures that will be customizable and as strong as any $80 case.

4 Likes

The best solutions is to create your own enclosures with a vacuum former (is this the right name in english ?) You heat up a sheet of abs and then put it on tope of foam with the shape that you want, cooling and vacuum will ensure a solid, custom made enclosure in no time !

3 Likes

Nah. The best solution is to buy one from someone @bigben who knows what they’re doing with magic fiber glass.

13 Likes

If you could arrange it for $15 a lot of the people would buy. Make a poll of what dimension they would prefer and ask for a quote on the 2 most popular models.

I can help you with the design for free. I have a $80 abs enclosure that’s pretty strong and I have also made 3d printed enclosures. They are pretty cheap too($15 for petg)

2 Likes

I’ve seen a really good looking nylon 3d printed enclosure. How durable is it?

You can buy abs sheets and with a mold and a vacuum bag or vacuum table you can do you own enclosures.

I used to work at a place that used Polycase enclosures and they were very good. also a little foam tape around the joint where it closes and they were quite waterproof too.

I had never considered them for esk8 but some of there enclosure look like they could be good sizes.

https://www.polycase.com/ag-54 looks like it could be a good dual ESC or unity case, removable panel would make mounting connectors easy.

shame they dont have “segments” with the same profile that could make a modular flexy enclosure

5 Likes

Have you check @psychotiller enclosure ??

https://psychotiller.com/

2 Likes

Yeah I noticed none of them seem specifically large enough for most battery cases, but I’m thinking some of them might be perfect for 2s6p/6s2p to use alone or in series with other cases.

Yeah, I love the guy, but I’m going for a “cheap beast” build. Here’s just an idea of how cheap the build is. The deck will be $35, the 12s6p including bms will be under $500, and the trucks and wheels will be under $100. I’m going for either a Turnigy sk8 or a Hobbysky for $90, and all the other parts I’m looking to get for under $50ish. The cheaper and higher quality the better. I really think it’s possible not to skimp on too much quality yet still save hundreds of dollars. Kinda like fine wine😂

Its cheap because its junk. Its 1/16 2nd qual ABS. The angles are too sharp and the silly logo doesn’t do anything to strengthen the enclosure, it in fact weakens it.

Please don’t buy this. If you wanna waste 30 bucks, send it to me and @Sender. We will drink it up and toast you the entire time :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Personally I don’t get it. You love my stuff and message me all the time. Yet, you haven’t bought anything that I make and pretty much just ask me questions about cheap shit or TB parts…

There’s a disconnect somewhere. Do you think that for a 3rd of the price, you’ll end up with exactly the same thing? Do you feel that you’ll actually build a “beast” of a board for $700?

When it’s done, since you’re in Philly, Please do a comparison ride test thread of your build and the build I’m making for Jonifin right now.

Thanks!!

15 Likes

I do make a vacuum former just for the enclosure… It’s not as simple as the video on youtube, and I made lots of trash before this one. :joy:

1998CAM_2019-01-08-12-21-02_filtered

11 Likes

I’ve never tried, bu it’s true it seems easy enough ! But you didn’t start with the easiest form !

The enclosure looks flawless. Great work!

1 Like

I know, I know… You’re right. I do love your stuff. You’re a pillar for the community, I and I do bother you way too much😂

But you’re still kind, and I appreciate that. I actually just went to your website and I wouldn’t mind spending $60 or $70 for your enclosures. Seems like high quality, and I’m cool with supporting your work.

But as a student, I have a VERY limited budget. Yet I’m still super into beast customs. Obviously that seems like a dilemma. How can I get cheap parts that are also inexpensive? It depends. Most people think you get what you pay for, but as a business student, in my experience, that’s only true some of the time. The reason for this is that prices may be inflated, and customers assume that you get 10/10 quality for $100 and 5/10 quality for $50, whereas in reality, it’s totally feasible and profitable for companies to still make 10/10 quality parts for $70. The issue lies in the customer assumption of the actual price of getting what you pay for. For example, Apple charges $1k for their phones. You can get an Android for the literal same exact specs for $500 from a reputable and high quality company. But people assume that the quality they get from buying a phone for $1k is higher than the quality they get for $500. I hope I’m not being too ranty or confusing. My ultimate goal is really just to help the community find those cheap parts that are still high quality, yet fall more into the realistic range of price to quality without the assumption inflation. Hobbyking has parts that are extremely durable for very cheap. I recently saw their motor mount selling for like $10, and in a thread here, saw people comparing it to their $40/$50 mounts with ease.

Ultimately, it’s not always the price that determines the quality. But it’s definitely harder to find higher quality parts at lower prices when they just mix in with the 5/10 quality for $50 crowd.

@psychotiller I’m sorry I do bother you a lot, but to be honest, you introduced me to this community, and you’ve been very patient with me, so I’ll heed your advice for my first build and go for your enclosure, but in the future, I hope that you see that I just want to help the community drive manufacturer prices down for their high quality parts.

Again, sorry for the rant.

6 Likes

Do you make one for 12s6p?

And I definitely want to try your board when Jonifin gets it. I’m not disparaging your builds, they’re definitely top notch😁

4 Likes

Maybe, I still haven’t learned much value theory😂