Cheap ABS plastic enclosures

Problem with both of these statements is they are pretty much wrong. People always post up great reviews of these cheap offerings. how can you trust what they say, when they obviously haven’t spent the money on the good stuff to do solid side by side comparisons. Why would anybody buy good proven components, then waste money on a hobbyking mount or esc? I’m telling you. cheap shit mounts from ebay or hobby king made for clone caliber 2’s do not compare.

5 Likes

Which mounts would you suggest? And some people do buy both to compare them. That’s science

this has been deeply explored before. countless people buy Chinese parts to build boards and end up spending twice as much in the end. said it before and gonna say it again. Don’t get into diy esk8 if you cant afford it. buy a meepo and comeback when you realize you want more.

7 Likes

I have an Ownboard. Deck recently snapped when going over some trolley tracks, but I’d ridden it for a couple hundred miles no-issue. It wasn’t as durable as say, Boosted, but I enjoyed it more than when I tested Boosted. Cheap doesn’t always mean vastly worse. Sometimes it only means a little bit worse with some opinionated wiggle room.

2 Likes

this isnt a huge market bro. these people for the most part have full time jobs while making quality parts while the only bottom line for the Chinese is to cut their production cost. YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. go ahead try those parts and let us know how it turns out for you. ok?

5 Likes

It seems to be a political issue on here to spend as much as possible because that must automatically mean you’re getting high quality parts. I do my research. I look at reviews, and I compare quality and prices. I don’t assume that less expensive equals less quality just because of an immediately assumed customer philosophy. I’ll buy a $100 part if it’s better than a $50 part, but if I see a thread on here comparing the two and people are vouching for the cheaper part, I have no issue spending less. In this case, spending $50 is getting what you pay for. But that doesn’t mean that spending $100 is actually getting what you pay for. Perhaps the $100 part is overinflated. I don’t buy things because they’re expensive. I buy them because they’re good. And in other cases, I will find the manufacturer of the same exact part sold by the DIY stores and buy it for $20 less.

8 Likes

$60 on a enclosure is cheap. You want cheaper go buy a planter box or Tupperware. Sure you can buy cheaper parts that might work just fine. But I bet the people who made those aren’t part of our community, aren’t here to ask questions or solve problems you have and they aren’t trying to develop new products to make the sport better.

4 Likes

People would be willing to hear you if you have a product that supports your statement. Otherwise it’s all just words to them.

It would cost me two bucks to 3d print an enclosure. The kind that some sell for 20.

1 Like

Its not political, but this isn’t research.

You cannot compare the quality until you have both pieces in hand and test them, our guessing the quality is good enough.

For the most part, those of us that have a few builds under out belt have made these same mistakes and are only trying to save you grief. You seem to be intent on making bad purchases. It’s all good, go for it.

5 Likes

And comparing meepo and a boosted is stupid… no duh the boosted is overpriced. To the general public it’s the most recognizable esk8 board. You’re buying a brand a label. Just like you can buy a plain white t-shirt at Walmart for 2 bucks you can go pay $25 at some hoity-toity store at the mall.

3 Likes

say it louder for the people in back.

2 Likes

A printed enclosure is useless, it WILL eventually break unless you skin/reinforce it and then the cost goes way up. As I said before, if you wanna have these experiences for yourself go for it, there’s is lots of value in making mistakes. Just don’t assume because your research says so that you are buying a quality part, because you are probably not.

1 Like

I was literally just about to say this. I’d rather print with higher quality filament, so maybe $15… Or $20 taking into account materials for finishing it. Tons of time and work though so what’s that worth? To me, I just dropped for a paychotiller, but I’d love to try to make my own, either 3D print or vacuum form ABS myself and see how cheap it can be.

2 Likes

then go do that. I bet you my psycho tiller enclosure will last longer.

4 Likes

I respect your experience. That’s why I’m here. I’m only suggesting that the assumption that higher price automatically equals higher quality may not always be true. I won’t buy the parts if you legitimately have tested them against the pricier parts and believe they are low quality. But most of the parts I’m talking about have never been mentioned on here. I would love to participate in actual research to compare parts. Who doesn’t want to save money? If a more expensive part wins, obviously I’m not against that. But what if the cheaper part wins? Research and science is about proving things, not aligning things to assumptions

2 Likes

It probably will. It’s $70. That wasn’t my point though

I’ve had to use 3D printing to repair my enclosure. It’s my fault it broke, but the 3D printed repair is what’s keeping it going at this point.

Prints can be crazy strong, especially if it’s nylon! PETG probably fine too

2 Likes

Exactly. For someone with a limited budget like me, it may be better to trade effort and time to DIY it than to buy it pre-made.

2 Likes

You’re on a budget yet you have a 3D printer… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes