Carvon Direct Drive Tuners Thread - Share your tips, tricks & recommendations

Carvon has recommended front trucks to match Speed Drive:

https://www.surf-rodz.com/products/trucks/200mm-reverse-king-pin-truck-kit-10mm

The surfrodz are a lot shorter. I had to use a 1/2" riser to get them close to the same height. 70mm axle seems to be really close to width.

2 Likes

What base plate angle did you order? Maybe a steeper angle would push it higher?

50 degree on both.

Does anyone know how to get access to the bearing in the fan wheel on the V3s? It’s the bearing that’s completely inside of the motor and closest to the truck. I took the single long silver bolt out of what looked like a motor clamp between the motor and truck. Since few careful taps with a rubber mallet didn’t get it to move and there’s no play at all I decided to stop and ask to see what I’m missing before doing something I’m going to regret. I’ve already contacted Jerry for warranty and repeatedly. He’s great at selling and makes a damn good motor but not so good at everything else that’s needed. I don’t want to start a Jerry bashing chain,I just don’t want to let him get away with it entirely.

Before I forget the Carvon V3 outer bearing, closest to the wheel, is a 6900 10x22x6mm. I’ll post up the inner bearing size as soon as I can get to it.

As always I love this place and I’m glad you’re all here. I don’t know what I’d do without you. Happy holidays and Happy New Year.

1 Like

. Probably glued in. You’ll have to press it off then. It’s a tiny bearing w low load rating careful putting the new on and make sure it’s aligned before pressing.

1 Like

@Hummie Thank you for the warning on replacing the bearings.

I ended up sending a DM to @Saturn_Corp to see if he made any progress since he seemed to be working on the same a thing but on a V4. He pointed me to a thread he made showing how to take the motor apart. [[Tutorial] How to disassemble and reassemble the Carvon V4 speeddrive. - [Tutorial] How to disassemble and reassemble the Carvon V4 speeddrive

Does the Speed Drive R v4 not use a Liquid 50 degree base plate like I thought it did? I am sure it uses a modified Liquid hanger and logic would dictate it is paired with a matching base plate but the pivot cups that are supposed to fit this cup are too large in diameter to fit in.

After a bit of research it looks like the pivot in pictures of a very similar looking Liquid hanger is slightly different than the Carvon one. I also found a post stating it fits caliber base plates without issue? I’ll look closer when I get home but figured I’d ask what other people know about it.

Does anyone know where to find information on fixing a shorted motor? I have a set of carvon v3s that @LEVer refused to fix. I turned the motor for 1 minute (which was difficult) and then quickly took off the shield/can and took the temperature of the poles. I’ve isolated one pole that was about 15° F hotter than the rest. Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

Usually a shorted motor needs a rewind. I wonder if a stator from a sk3 6374 will drop in with minimal mods…

Rewinding a motor sounds intimidating but I think it’s really mostly tedious.

But I really should try before offering so much wisdom, eh? Plz take above with a huge grain of salt.

2 Likes

You’ll have to strip all the wire out

2 Likes

I have a lot of learning to do if I want rewind it. Lots of pressure to do the motors perfectly so It doesn’t buck me off while Im going 35mph lol.

And yeah I might buy an sk3 to test that theory out. I have access to a machine shop so I might as well. I’m pretty sure that all I would have to do to get the 114kv from the 192kv sk3 is rewire the phase wires from Delta to Wye.

1 Like

Can anyone ID these two types of screws? c04c238923a5e1079abfee4c33d181897108643f_2_690x342 751e28d2fec74cd9c8bee9dbeefc9990f7d8e926_2_690x323

M2.5x8

10 ch

3 Likes