Bushing Set up Help

@Thebreadsticks, can you remind me what the setup was.

Krank 93 fatcone/barrel barrel/cone.

Dual 45 degree. SZ rkps. I could hit 30 but couldnā€™t turn

Great topic, thanks @alphamail Currently pushing - which is not that fun on a deck this tall (38 vanguard flex 3, caliber 2 50* trucks, 85mm caguamas 77A) I live in Philadelphia, this is a commuting and cruising board. Compiling parts for a dual 6355 and 10s4p system. I wont be traveling at top speed too frequently. If youā€™ve been to Philly youll remember our roads :smiley:

I use to skateboard years ago, still snowboard. Been on the longboard for just a few days and starting to get my balance and rhythm a bit, have adjusted trucks a bit. My only observation thus far has been that it seems to really dive about 1/2 way through my lean- like thereā€™s a cliff there.
Anyways, turning radius is important and reasonable stability. I can re-visit new bushings when ive got some more time on the board.

165 lbs, probably 180 with gear open to wedge, truck angle swap etc.

thanks again!

1 Like

I think you need to loosen them up to the point you can turn the roadside bushing in the seat by hand then tighten the rear a little bit first then adjust 1/4 turn at a time front and back. Are you using cupped washers in any of the positions?. You have the bushings in the front Cone roadside, Barrel boardside and the rear, Barrel roadside and FatCone boardside?

Cupped washers top and bottom. Barrel board. Cone road side small side to road on both.

Just checked. I had them about 1.5-2 turns tighter than when I can spin the road side bushing by hand. 2-3 thread over the nut.

haha my post was responding to Thebreadsticks but your info is helpful also

@Alphamail

I find that the advice of tightening only until you cannot turn the bushings does not work with Surf-Rodz trucks due to conical and restrictive shape of the bushing seat.

It works for other trucks with a more open seat but if I do it on my SR trucks the hanger flops left to right since the bushings are not yet seated.

1 Like

If I have a picture of a some bushings can anyone tell me what they are, all I know is the brand is RipTide. Also recommendations for Paris II with a 55kg rider? I want that sharp turning and carvy feel, its a 40" drop deck

I second this.

1 Like

Hello Alphamail,

I run now the Canon / Canon front and Canon / Magnum rear since a while and just want to setup my new shortboard, Its more a fun board and carve a lot. Short commutes with a lot of turns and carvey streets. Will the same settings work for this board?

I would go for the same setup, just with 87A instead of 90Aā€¦

1. CaliberII with 97mm Popocas, 5mm riser on the front and 6degrees riser on the back
  2. No aftermarket bushingsā€¦ all stock.
  3. They feel okishā€¦ just stock
  4. more carving
  5. HAYA shoarboard deck
  6. about 85kg

@Thebreadsticks, @taz, @pookybear are you running the sharp edge of the barrel or the rounded edge of the Barrels towards the hanger?

Yes thatā€™s how I ran them. Started with no cups, eventually had all cups except on the fatcone. I canā€™t turn the bushings even when the kingpin isnā€™t tightened. Super hard to even put on the kingpin. Keep in mind I only have one arm.

I put all venom barrels on, 95 cupped in rear, 93 open in front. Havenā€™t taken it out yet.

I need more turning with at least as much support for speed.

Round end to hanger

On surf rodz rounded side towards hanger. Calibers sharp side.

Round side towards hanger.

@taz and @pookybear, try it with the sharp edge towards the hangers

Thatā€™s how my venom are. Going for a try now. Maybe Iā€™ll try dual fatcone in back and dual barrels in front. I just think a harder barrel would work better than compressed fat cones. And they really only add resistance in the turn, while uncompressed isnā€™t it about the same for stability?

Iā€™m also going to take my tires up 10 psi, might help with wobbles

Definitely give that a try, The biggest issue I have with SZ trucks is you have to use hard bushings instead of big bushings. When Wayne and Doug were developing the trucks I begged them to make some changes but to no avail.

1 Like

The venom hpf barrels are great. 95 double cupped rear and 93 up front. Way more turny and just as stable.

Maybe I should try aps or wfb barrels at the highest and 2nd highest duro.

2 Likes

OK then I would suggest our Barrels front / back - KranK 93a / 96a

Iā€™m liking their hpf formula that I believe is closer to your wfb or aps. They also offer a super high rebound formula that I would guess it be closer to KranK.
Any reason you think krank would do better than aps or wfb? I like the idea of apsā€™s white powder shit.

Iā€™ve already got 93 krank barrels fatcones and regular cones and I didnā€™t like them near as much as these venomsā€¦ I just donā€™t want to buy another set of krank if I donā€™t like that formula.

I guess Iā€™d only have to buy the 96a and I could try it. But Iā€™m looking for more turn and that doesnā€™t seem to be what krank is intended for. Maybe Iā€™m wrong.

I need more turn with the same stability. Is that possible?

1 Like