Boss level custom spot welder

Also like this?

1 Like

I did a Pen today. IMG_20180625_195125 I Will upload the how to video when edited

5 Likes

The corrosion test does not work if you do not grind the nickel properly. Drill a hole or use a dremel. The soul must be exposed or you Will not succeed on the test. Too many sparks weld? = Plated Too many sparks no weld? = Bad contact, pressureā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll try all of that when I get home :slight_smile: thanks guys.

putting together a 12s6p right now, performed about 1200 welds and not single issue so far.

i did notice the tips get damaged pretty quickly though, iā€™ve had to either snip off, or resurface the tips every 200 welds or so. when the tips get worn, it was blowing holes through the nickel. the moment the tip got reconditioned, it went back to perfect welds.

at this rate iā€™m going to have to get new tips so looking forward to your video.

also, are you doing well with your recovery?

4 Likes

Yes. Bless u man

6 Likes

The points must have a gap of 1mm or the weld will not happen, also if they are too separated the weld will be weak. They must be clean to perform as we expect so i recommend a sandpaper around. If you work fast the pen will heat a lot and the tips will pay for it, Use several pens or stop every now and then. Rub gently the tips every few welds. You can round the tips but eventually they will sharpen as you use the pen. Make sure the tips do not touch each other, you could damage them, besides the weld will not happen it they short before the nickel. Lee makes them similar to this method. He uses salvaged breadboards and i think 1.5 copper rod. I hope it helps guys.

5 Likes

Yes the welder is bulletproof hehehe (except that batch of cursed pcbā€™s) but the tips must be serviced. The points are not eternal. Desolder and solder new rods is very easy. I hope you guys find easy making new pens too. I think Lee can sell several on the first order when people ask for it. About my recovery not very well. I will not post pics because i find it disgusting. The surgery wounds are not healing well and i need a lot of meds and daily visits to nursing. Well i donā€™t talk too much about myself at forums. Thanks for your consideration pal.

7 Likes

we all really appreciate you putting in time here to guide us spot welder users.

please get well, thatā€™s your only job right now.

4 Likes

great excuse to go buy some icecreamā€¦ damn im such a fkn fat kid :grinning:

2 Likes

yup i keep getting sparks and holes in my nickel, i feel like i am giving enough pressure and both probes are touching :confused:

maybe my pen is damaged cause i see in the video you make the welds so easy, i may go make a new pen very soon thanks for the guide.

once out of 10 tires i got it to weld and it was very very weak, i couldnt even weld nickel to nickel

1 Like

20180625_202500

20180625_202508

Hmm sometimes I get welds sometimes I get sparks and holes. I put a good amount of pressure everytime and almost positive it has contact on both sides

Looking at your pics I figured my leads were too close together I separated them a bit and now Iā€™m getting welds :slight_smile:

20180625_20413620180625_204144

3 Likes

20180625_205217

Left welds at 4ms and right welds at 3.5ms. Kinda happy this thing is working

2 Likes

When you press the tips can move. If they are too close they donā€™t weld. If they touch they damage each other, if that happens at the very end of the tip= hole. I guess that was your problem. Make sure the gap when pressing is 1 mm and you Will be fine. For nickel the pressure must be firm enough to make both electrodes and nickel+steel be in perfect contact but no need to make a hard pressure. (Copper does) just by practicing you can master It in no time.

1 Like

Quick review and thoughts: I got new version (with plastic spacers) and Iā€™m using Turnigy Graphene Lipo 3s 5000mah 65-130C. Welds with nickel 0.1mm tape are super easy and even with 1ms they stick hard(blade or 18650 cell). What I found out there is sweet spot with pressure force applied: when welds are clean and there are no sparks occurring thats the one. About tip spacing, did test with 3mm gap with no problems at all, only a little longer time is needed. Automatic function is super convenient. It would be nice if there was an option to calibrate battery readings, my unit adds 0.1-0.2V(according to reading from mulitmeter Aneng 8008). Overall for this price the welder is AWESOME and I cannot wait to test it with 0.15 and 0.2 nickel :slight_smile: Thank You for excellent work Aulakiria!

2 Likes

Akira? I guess you mean Aulakiria. We call him Lee. Welcome to the club Bro. Share your experience with us. Pics and vĆ­deos are welcome.

1 Like

I used other member nickname, sorry for that, dont know why I did it! Corrected now. I wonder if I could use 0.3mm pure nickel, that would be super awesome if it will weld nicely. Maybe someone already tested it?

It should do .3 nickel perfectly fine if it can handle .1 copper. You may need 4s maybe not but you can try and let us know.

2 Likes