Boss level custom spot welder

I am not sure if anyone did. I did 0.5 and It sucked. Maybe 0.3 is worth It. You will probably need 4s for that but again i dunno. I never tested It and no one reported feedback about It. I did: 0.1 perfect 0.15 perfect 0.20 perfect Aluminium terrible not recommended 0.1 copper difficult. Doable. Warning. 0.2 copper very difficult and dangerous. Don’t Nickel on copper. Difficult. Doable Copper on copper. Difficult. Bad quality. I wanted to test many other metals but copper is so damn good that i lost interest. I recommend to stick to 0.2 nickel. Easy and healthy for the machine. Going beyond that forces the machine to the limit. Reduces lifespan of the fets and is way more difficult, dangerous and expensive. Several layers of 0.2 can do the same job so explore the limits at your own Risk.

1 Like

I tried .25 and .30 with kweld. Takes a lot of energy to make it stick. Enough that I worry about killing cells. .20 seems the comfortable limit at 3s voltage.

3 Likes

Guys, my pen is pretty weak now is flexing too much :banana:

BTW I’m talking about the spot welder pen you dirty mind people :smiling_imp:

What are you guys getting to replace them?

The Sunkko seems to be way too expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/YaeCCC-battery-Soldering-Universal-Welding/dp/B076VHZ14T/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530594421&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=pen+spot+welder&psc=1

2 Likes

I would cut off old tips and solder new cooper wires (ie from regular household installation, available in couple size, to fund in many bigger stores)

The points or the entire Pen? Have you watched my video? Please do not buy the sunkko Pen… It sucks.

Hi dear users of this amazing spot welder. Could you remind me the HAKKO series number for additional welder iron tip ? I remember there was a difference between EU and US market. Thanks !

I think this is what you are looking for maybe, but I didn’t know there was a difference in tips between EU and US markets. All the best

1 Like

Thank you ! Sorry, not between EU and/or US, but with Asia. See Hakko website : HAKKO_T12

Need to figure out the compatible serie available here in EU. :wink:

1 Like

Here’s some tips available from another commerical Arduino product

Personally I would make my own when the time comes crimping copper into small bullets, maybe 3D printing a holder for the tips to set the gap nicely and make it comfortable to the hand

I ordered a selection of tips from this listing on Aliexpress and they all fit and have been working good.

1 Like

Since there has been talk of other Ardruino welders and if you have the time, skill, a 3D printer, don’t need or want soldering function & need to keep costs to a bare mimimum then there is the possibility to make your own welder

And a nice case

Any chance you can send the broken one to me? I’d love to check this thing out and compare it to the malectric version I have.

For soldering tips rohs/lead-free solder compatibility might be a consideration.

1 Like

It’s in pieces now :smiley: I borrowed some components from it for another project else I woud have sent it…

1 Like

I purchased .2x 25mm pure nickel to make a double stack battery, I hope 4 meters would be enough for me to do some testing and then make a giant battery.

Btw my Soldering iron doesn’t get very hot I’ve tried multiple ac adapters from 19v to 29v adaptor and it barely gets hot enough to melt solder on it’s own.

Check the power on the label of your the power supply. It’s not only a matter of voltage.

I used a small laptop charger at the beginning and the same : hard to solder. I power it up now with a 100W laptop charger and now soldering is a game !

1 Like

I’ll check it out thanks!

That’s just 12v but that battery delivers quite some amps. It’s more a wattage thingy. Btw you set 4-5 right? 1-3 Heat very low temperatures, for very thin wires only.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check it out at home!

1 Like

I did another Pen. This time with interchangeable tips. I will upload a video when edited.

IMG_20180711_173312

The pen of the first video and the new one

IMG_20180711_173129

2 Likes