Boss level custom spot welder

I wouldn’t use any more flux time or multiple. Though I’m confident this battery is OK for its intended use, it looks like some of the welds are partially burning through, which means you are not getting optimal current transfer from the welds. It looks like you may be having some weld consistency problems, too, which is common. I haven’t completely figured out how to get ultimate in consistency, but not overworking/overheating the battery(ies) and keeping the FETs at low and stable temperature definitely helps.

1 Like

Just got my spot welder today and already added some heatsinks and fans

7 Likes

What settings are people using for 3 stacks of 0.2 nickel? I need like an absurd amount of power to penetrate that deep, the only way to do 3 stacks is to weld them to each other one at a time rather than all at once.

edit: and by 3 stacks I mean welding two stacks ontop of a piece of existing nickel on a cell,

I think that’s the normal way to do it. One at a time

i got a plated! crap!.. but i have a 5-6mm and i think its pure (i know its thin) but can i use it like side by side for P connections? like two strips on sides?

Don’t worry, it’s not the end of the world. Plated is not as good as pure but It does the job. I used plated for parallel and pure for series several times. No problem at all. I bet most chinese battery packs use plated and that’s not an issue. If they fail is because the cells suck. If you hesitate on the efficiency of the power transfer just add more layers.

2 Likes

Received mine today … Pretty fast shipping to EU :grinning:

And already did the cooling mod.

7 Likes

And magic smoke just came, first time i put on voltage :frowning:

2 Likes

:scream: you cooked It?

Yeah… I just connected a 3s lipo… And boom magic smoke

Damn. Mail lee. He is sleeping now. Will wake Up in 4 hours or so.

Check for a short on the standof close to the connector for the switch. I got magic smoke from mine to… bought a new and now i didnt start it before I replaced it with a plastic standoff…

What size are the standoffs, M3?

Did you have to buy a new one from him ?

Okay, that standoff close to the on/off switch ? I guess i have to cut the 4 pins, to tear the pcb’s a part

@Minim You are god damn right

Two standoff wich has Connection to the ground planer, is shorting to plus… Damn lousy QC… If i have to pay for a new buy my own… :triumph::triumph: This is i gigant design flaw

Got it fixet … The burned trace on the PCB, got some wire insted, and i removed All the metal spacers thanks to @Minim, and put on nylon insted.

It’s freaking working now…

3 Likes

Same crap as mine then but I couldn’t fix it with a wire :frowning: the arduino was overloading the power supply so there was something more that went shit. Are you sure it’s shorted there or is it just positive on the standoff? Anyways not a good design to do it like that. If anything those standoff’s should be grounded. I replaced one of mine with plastic but I did not spot this exact spot so now I will replace all of them (if they are not used for grounding anything).

Yeah I didn’t want to try to pull warranty. It’s a nice design and cudos to him for sharing it so I think it’s better that I report back the issue and then hopefully he fixes it for later ones. Wish I got some more discount on it but I did not want to discuss and pull out time just to save a few bucks ^^

Are you guys talking about these with the screws that’s hold the spot welder together ? Just got mines the other day. Haven’t turned it on yet and I’m not trying to short anything.

So I soldered the 5v fan to the 5v connection. But fan doesn’t come on when I power on the welder?

This is why I have a couple sets of tips. I rotate them out of the freezer so I can weld continuously lol…

2 Likes