Boss level custom spot welder

4s? I did 0.2 nickel with 4-5ms X2 You should be ok with 5ms X2 post some pics so we can help you

Should be ok then. Iā€™m making a 3S5P pack for my kids toy car to replace a 12V 7Ah lead acid battery. Wonā€™t be high current draw from it ^^

Imo Deep enough

1 Like

Goodie :slight_smile: I noticed that the fuse in the toy car is 13A so itā€™s not like itā€™s gonna pull hard on that packā€¦ She drove 2-3km today and it dropped 3.1Ah off the 15Ah pack so itā€™s pretty solid.

It heated quickly when I welded so I figured I had to design a cooling solution. I want to avoid a fan so I just added a good chunk of aluminum to it with some fins there in case I want a fan for longer weld sessions. 6mm was the smallest in the toolchanger atm so I didnā€™t bother making the fins smaller ^^ Hope it will help.

I had to wait a lot today welding a 3S5P battery so I wanted to solve thisā€¦ Machined this piece for passive cooling. I could now do 25 quick welds on 4s - 5ms with the temp rising only from 22 to 28 degrees but the tip was way to hot to hold so the limit is not the fets anymore. Prolly way overkill with the 30mm thick plate but now itā€™s more stable on the desk also :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I want it but Iā€™m afraid to ask you how much you want :slight_smile: nice job!

1 Like

Thanks. I sent you a pm regarding making one :slight_smile:

You might as well make a thread

I protect my fingers from the Heat using pieces of wood around the tips. I posted my collection of electrodes video a few posts above. Nevertheless you better do not rush too much.

1 Like

Thanks might be worth looking into making one like you had there. Have you opened up your stock one and replaced the tips? It didnā€™t feel like I was rushing the other day but it didnā€™t take long before it got hot. I will have some patience with it so I donā€™t kill it again :smiley:

Yes i know what you mean. When you start you donā€™t feel like rushing even if you are. The first simptom is the Heat on the fets, i see you solved that part with that wonderful sink you have made. The second is Heat on the tips, on 4s is way more noticeable than 3s. The tips are kind of easy to replace anyway. Just desolder and solder another copper rod or cut the damaged part and bend them again. They become shorter but still good to go.

I have loads of 2.5mm2 and 4mm2 copper wire that I could use to replace them with but they are very soft. Will these nails work as replacement if I find them in the correct diameter? I guess they must be hard since they areā€¦nails :stuck_out_tongue:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162718156328

The 2.5 could work. Not sure about the conductivity of those bush killers. If you test them just for science let us now how they work

Damn this seller is on vacation until 17th of July :frowning: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kupferfolie-Kupferrolle-Kupferblech-0-1-x-10-mm-5-m-Rolle/172434084213?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Where do people else buy copper strips ??

Thanks

I buy from him. Itā€™s the BEST option in Europe. He is a very old man (should be retired) and needs a lot of rest. How many meters do you need? Maybe i can sell you some. At cost. No loss nor gain from my side.

I have the Boss welder on the way. It was just so i could try how it was to use copper insted og nickel stribs. So just for testing at the moment

I can help you. Pm me when you have the chance

I have salt test the strips i have, first rust came out, but when i touch it it was all clean as seen in the pic, did i got a plated nickel?!

To make It properly you need to scratch the strips deeply. The best way is grinding with a dremel or making some holes with a drill. The soul must be exposed for the rust to come out. Fast test:.

4 Likes

I already saw your vid, but i donā€™t have the trained eye for the sparks to see, im gonna dremmel it today, thanks.